Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qantas Frequent Flyer | How much is it worth?

Qantas Frequent Flyer | How much is it worth?

Old Apr 9th 2015, 8:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qantas Frequent Flyer | How much is it worth?

Originally Posted by Beoz
You need to buy a full value fair in order to use points for an upgrade right? And even if you do buy the full value fare there's no guarantee of the upgrade right?
I've had upgrades on a saver fare, check the conditions say that upgrades are possible before you book it. Then you bid for an upgrade
Old Apr 9th 2015, 10:10 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

You need to buy a full value fair in order to use points for an upgrade right? And even if you do buy the full value fare there's no guarantee of the upgrade right?
That's correct for international flights, yes. Different for domestic.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 10:29 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Not full fare, Saver is eligible - looking at upcoming dates that seems to add minimum $200 to the cost of a oneway flight to London.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Not full fare, Saver is eligible - looking at upcoming dates that seems to add minimum $200 to the cost of a oneway flight to London.
ouch. $200 just to try your luck.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 12:28 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

ouch. $200 just to try your luck.
Yeah, it's not a great deal and also, out of Perth you only have Emirates as an option as a QFF and you can't use your points to upgrade on their flights.

BUT Qantas business class on the A380 DXB-LHR is great. Out of my 4 or 5 trips last year I got upgraded about 80% of the time and the higher your status, the better your chances. I love using the lounges too. Problem is, once you've had a taste you never want to go back to economy!
Old Apr 10th 2015, 1:00 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Problem is, once you've had a taste you never want to go back to economy!
Amen!

I chase credit card rewards so I don't have to!
Old Apr 10th 2015, 2:21 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
Amen!

I chase credit card rewards so I don't have to!
I even got myself a Diners card in case I don't get upgraded so I can still use lounges at LHR and DXB.

I also make sure I get to LHR ultra early so I can max out on eating and drinking in the lounges!
Old Apr 10th 2015, 2:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I even got myself a Diners card in case I don't get upgraded so I can still use lounges at LHR and DXB.

I also make sure I get to LHR ultra early so I can max out on eating and drinking in the lounges!
The Lounge access is worth gold in both LHR and DXB. DXB cos I hate the place and at least in the Lounge you can try and forget where you are in the world, and LHR cos its such a madhouse, the sanctuary of the Lounge is worth every $ I pay to Qantas Club
Old Apr 10th 2015, 4:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I assume that through QF and QF flights numbers albeit on EK planes?
Just had a look at the itinerary and interestingly it's EK flight numbers on a QF e-ticket

As Renth said, you cannot upgrade on EK with QFF points - which is why I went for 1st class (BC not available). You can also get Qatar Cathay and BA flights on QFF

On the plus side it's now A380 all the way from Perth to Manchester, so 1st class is going to be a (drunken/fine dining) blast
Old Apr 10th 2015, 4:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is, once you've had a taste you never want to go back to economy!
For me, economy class travel on 21st century Asian and middle-eastern full service carriers is not an issue. If I can get very cheap 1st and BC flights through points etc then cool but I'm not prepared to pay more than a small premium for the privilege (and I mean small)

Compared to some of the extremely uncomfortable situations I've been in in my life, modern economy air travel is easy. Hell, even some budget carriers are perfectly okay

Last edited by Amazulu; Apr 10th 2015 at 5:02 am.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 4:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Just had a look at the itinerary and interestingly it's EK flight numbers on a QF e-ticket
Frequent flyer redemptions never book onto the codeshare code and always that of the operating airline.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 4:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by bcworld
Frequent flyer redemptions never book onto the codeshare code and always that of the operating airline.
Cool

Looking forward to the A380 1st class lounge in Dubai
Old Apr 10th 2015, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

As Renth said, you cannot upgrade on EK with QFF points - which is why I went for 1st class (BC not available). You can also get Qatar Cathay and BA flights on QFF

On the plus side it's now A380 all the way from Perth to Manchester, so 1st class is going to be a (drunken/fine dining) blast
You also don't get status credits for your Qantas FF account on Emirates. And that for a Syd / Lon flight is needed to maintain or move to the next status.

I flew Emirates earlier this year and needed the status credits to get to gold. I was gutted when I found out. Luckily work said go to New York, so that got me over the line and into the lounge.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 5:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

You also don't get status credits for your Qantas FF account on Emirates. And that for a Syd / Lon flight is needed to maintain or move to the next status.

I flew Emirates earlier this year and needed the status credits to get to gold. I was gutted when I found out. Luckily work said go to New York, so that got me over the line and into the lounge.
But you could've flown SYD-LHR on EK on the QF flight number...in which case you'd get status credits.
Old Apr 10th 2015, 5:12 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Cool

Looking forward to the A380 1st class lounge in Dubai
Read yesterday that EK are bringing in a sub-fleet of 2 class A380s - business and economy only - 615 seats in total, 557 in economy! I could see these ultimately ending up on one or both of the PER and MAN routes but they don't arrive til December so you'll be safe!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.