Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:16 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Originally Posted by 232Bar
It's only 'holy' to those who believe it. The pubs open on Muslim holy days don't they? it's dual standards if you ask me lol. - I just wanted a couple of pints and a bar meal after I'd planned a trip out to a nice pub, a 90 minute drive away. I don't care what the public holiday is for as long as someone is prepared to work on it for my entertainment
Firstly Australia is a country that is historically christian.

Secondly Muslim's are not meant to drink alcohol, so a pub's licencing hours are irrelevant to the islamic community, excepting they would no doubt prefer we had national prohibition.

Thirdly, the idea that some poor sod should be at your beck and call so you can indulge on your public holiday while they get none is typical of this self absorbed brattish attitude that is helping to push empolyers to screw over their workers.

Why not get a couple of bottles in and get a recipe and cook your OH a nice meal at home? I'm sure she/he would be impressed with your effort.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:36 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Summarising the main viewpoints on this thread...

• Australian pubs are shut on Good Friday! These lazy bastards will do anything to knock off work! It's disgraceful! (Uh... I couldn't help noticing that yesterday was a PUBLIC HOLIDAY in the UK. Those lazy Brits; any excuse to down tools, eh!? )

• Australians don't seem to understand that Good Friday is a religious holiday! It's disgraceful! (Uh... but all the Brits want to do is drink through it, so are the Aussies really that bad?! )

• Australian pubs are shut on Good Friday! A classic case of religion controlling the masses! It's disgraceful! (Uh... didn't someone just claim that the Aussies don't know it's a religious occasion?! )

I'd say that this serves to demonstrate the extent to which our respective views of the world are coloured by our own personal filters - whether rose-coloured or otherwise.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:37 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Firstly Australia is a country that is historically christian.

Secondly Muslim's are not meant to drink alcohol, so a pub's licencing hours are irrelevant to the islamic community, excepting they would no doubt prefer we had national prohibition.

Thirdly, the idea that some poor sod should be at your beck and call so you can indulge on your public holiday while they get none is typical of this self absorbed brattish attitude that is helping to push empolyers to screw over their workers.

Why not get a couple of bottles in and get a recipe and cook your OH a nice meal at home? I'm sure she/he would be impressed with your effort.
Well said, kiwi.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

From someone who has HAD to work on Good Friday, Easter Monday, Xmas Eve, Boxing Day and just about every other public holiday, every year since being 18 years old, I can honeslty say it's great not having to go to work on these days.

It's all well and good for the customers sat there having fun and enjoying themselves. Well, news flash "We have families too you know"

Sorry rant over
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:07 am
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Originally Posted by WendyC
From someone who has HAD to work on Good Friday, Easter Monday, Xmas Eve, Boxing Day and just about every other public holiday, every year since being 18 years old, I can honeslty say it's great not having to go to work on these days.

It's all well and good for the customers sat there having fun and enjoying themselves. Well, news flash "We have families too you know"

Sorry rant over
Good onya, mate.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Good onya, mate.

Well it's true.

It's nice getting the extra pay (I used to get treble pay), but it doesn't really compare with sharing the day with your family.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:12 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Well said, kiwi.
TY Vash
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:13 am
Banned

Well it's true.

It's nice getting the extra pay (I used to get treble pay), but it doesn't really compare with sharing the day with your family.
The extra pay will most likely be a thing of the past now in OZ under the new IR laws.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:16 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
It's only 'holy' to those who believe it. The pubs open on Muslim holy days don't they? it's dual standards if you ask me lol. - I just wanted a couple of pints and a bar meal after I'd planned a trip out to a nice pub, a 90 minute drive away. I don't care what the public holiday is for as long as someone is prepared to work on it for my entertainment
Holy or not holy to you is irrelevant. You have got a day off work because it's a Christian festival. You live in a 'Christian' country. Same as if you lived in India and had a day off for Duvali or whatever. If you don't want a day off then you'd better take it up with the government (but I'm sure the majority of the population would not thank you for it!). For the record, I want everything open too. People who work on holidays generally get time and a half or double time of whatever so can't complain lol.

Graham
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kiwichild
The extra pay will most likely be a thing of the past now in OZ under the new IR laws.
Oh well, c'est la vie

I have no intention of ever working bank holidays again, I think I've done my fair share
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:22 am
Banned

Oh well, c'est la vie

I have no intention of ever working bank holidays again, I think I've done my fair share
Me too, but the problem now is that bosses (in any business) could maybe force workers to,whereas in the past it was double pay(sundays) or treble pay (public holidays) and you got to choose if you would work it or not.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by northerner
People who work on holidays generally get time and a half or double time of whatever so can't complain lol.

Graham
No longer the case Graham and they most likely will have no say in it either.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:27 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Yep.

At the risk of being invited to "Foxtrot Oscar" :scared: I can't really see an issue with pubs etc being closed on either Good Friday or Christmas Day for that matter which, unless I'm mistaken, are the 2 main "religious" days in the year.

That leaves 363 other days when the pubs, clubs, RSLs, offies etc are open. Isn't that enough?

Jim
Problem was I wasn't going to the pub on the other 363 days but Good Friday and in reply to the other post I know this isn't the UK because if it was it would have been raining and the pubs would have been open... .
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:30 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northerner
Holy or not holy to you is irrelevant. You have got a day off work because it's a Christian festival. You live in a 'Christian' country. Same as if you lived in India and had a day off for Duvali or whatever. If you don't want a day off then you'd better take it up with the government (but I'm sure the majority of the population would not thank you for it!). For the record, I want everything open too. People who work on holidays generally get time and a half or double time of whatever so can't complain lol.

Graham
But for us non religous types we should be able to pick a day when the pubs are open to have our day off therefore not wasting a day off... , the bible bashers can continue having Good Friday and enjoying it athiest free.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Craigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really niceCraigy is just really nice

Originally Posted by annqldau
Word of warning to anyone about to emigrate we just found out today all pubs in Queensland shut on Good Friday ruins a tradition of bank holiday drinking... .

So what other day do all the pubs shut???
Found out the hard way in Cairns on Friday!!! Had to buy a meal to get to drink (feeling really full now!!! )

Apparently pubs are open on monday so all is not lost. From what I can work out they are shut on Good Friday and Xmas Day and possibly the morning of ANZAC day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.