Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Old Apr 14th 2006, 11:50 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Originally Posted by biggy
Good Friday is HHUUGGGGEEEEEE here seems that everything is shut...but then we learned from last year and stocked up on booze lol

Waheyyyy,round to Biggy's it is then!!!
(gimme a few hours )

Donna.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by biggy
Good Friday is HHUUGGGGEEEEEE here seems that everything is shut...but then we learned from last year and stocked up on booze lol

Yep.

Perth was a ghost town today.....But the roads were dead so made use of that and headed up north and back down the coastal strip, in no time.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Word of warning to anyone about to emigrate we just found out today all pubs in Queensland shut on Good Friday ruins a tradition of bank holiday drinking... .

So what other day do all the pubs shut???

It is just pathetic in my opinion. Religion controlling the masses again. Shall we have an atheist day next Friday and shut every establishment in the country.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Bottle shops shut also. Wanted a bottle of vodka - having to make do with red wine. Next year will plan ahead.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 1:03 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
It is just pathetic in my opinion. Religion controlling the masses again. Shall we have an atheist day next Friday and shut every establishment in the country.
I don't think it's anything to do with religion and more to do with not wanting to work. Any excuse to down tools IMO.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
Well then. lets knock Christmas on the head then

From my experience most places shut up 4 easter- - it is only the UK that stays open.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:01 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Pubs shut on Good Friday!!! what other days???

Sorry just managed to pull myself away from the xxxx, c@ck sucking cowboy and the rum and coke in the garden... had to make up for the pubs being shut somehow.

Madsad hope the move went well... I'll send you some c@ck sucking cowboy Karma.

Pollyanna i'm suprised they haven't banned shorts on Good Friday and Thongs...it's unp#*^ed correctness gone mad... runed a perfectly good Good Friday.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I don't think it's anything to do with religion and more to do with not wanting to work. Any excuse to down tools IMO.
I have to agree with this. No idea of it being religious - in fact, mention at work of the subject got widespread blank stares to the effect of "what has religion got to do with Good Friday!" - Easter Day is treated much the same. Its generally viewed as an excuse for a holiday, that all.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I have to agree with this. No idea of it being religious - in fact, mention at work of the subject got widespread blank stares to the effect of "what has religion got to do with Good Friday!" - Easter Day is treated much the same. Its generally viewed as an excuse for a holiday, that all.
We forgot to look into pub opening hours before we moved...well there goes Monday down the drain as well or not as the case may be.

We went all the way to Montville for a relaxing booze to find everywhere closed... rang the other trouser guy who suggested Mapelton found that one to be shut as well... so returned to the garden which was open and luckily well stocked.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
We forgot to look into pub opening hours before we moved...well there goes Monday down the drain as well or not as the case may be.

We went all the way to Montville for a relaxing booze to find everywhere closed... rang the other trouser guy who suggested Mapelton found that one to be shut as well... so returned to the garden which was open and luckily well stocked.
Being married to the supplier of the trousers I am well accustomed now to drinking at home (hic!) - can't go out as there are other men wearing his trousers Did make a large dent in my "Pink" supply today, and seem to have run out of Chateau Cresta No 6..........If we all make it to the Belvedere I may need a resupply, are you listening Mr Cresta??!
Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Being married to the supplier of the trousers I am well accustomed now to drinking at home (hic!) - can't go out as there are other men wearing his trousers Did make a large dent in my "Pink" supply today, and seem to have run out of Chateau Cresta No 6..........If we all make it to the Belvedere I may need a resupply, are you listening Mr Cresta??!
So far have counted 10 crates full of empty brown bottles so G better be getting his home brew still on once we move... have put in order for larger not beer as I have finer tastes. Cresta was incommode computer I do believe so may be unable to answer or that was his patter at 1400hrs. He did text back that he too was in shock as had found pubs shut so may have returned home now.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 2:52 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by harveyhare
At least you can get a meal! Adelaide is like a friggin ghost town.

Di

No change there then

Jim
Old Apr 14th 2006, 3:06 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Surely there's more to life than pubs?
Yep.

At the risk of being invited to "Foxtrot Oscar" :scared: I can't really see an issue with pubs etc being closed on either Good Friday or Christmas Day for that matter which, unless I'm mistaken, are the 2 main "religious" days in the year.

That leaves 363 other days when the pubs, clubs, RSLs, offies etc are open. Isn't that enough?

Jim
Old Apr 14th 2006, 3:32 pm
Pet
Forum Regular

Pet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Surely there's more to life than pubs?
wtf pubs, pubs, pubs, THIS IS NOT THE UK, GET OVER IT. Today saw lots of people out around the river using free bbq facilities also lots of families having fish and chip picnics (have done both). My family and I went to Clancy's fish pub South Perth/Como area and had a beautiful meal plus wine and beer. Bloody fantastic. I love Perth!!!
Old Apr 14th 2006, 3:43 pm
Pet
Forum Regular

Pet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pet
wtf pubs, pubs, pubs, THIS IS NOT THE UK, GET OVER IT. Today saw lots of people out around the river using free bbq facilities also lots of families having fish and chip picnics (have done both). My family and I went to Clancy's fish pub South Perth/Como area and had a beautiful meal plus wine and beer. Bloody fantastic. I love Perth!!!
'''''''''''Sorry! forgot to say, I have only been here 25 years and so have 'rose tinted glasses' on. NOT. I love living in Perth!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.