Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Public Holiday numbers are very wrong

The Public Holiday numbers are very wrong

Old Oct 1st 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Public Holiday numbers are very wrong

Originally Posted by bcworld
What would be better Sue is if the article pages allowed members to add comments, to which of course the author could also respond.

I like this idea.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
God that sucks, though I do expect that from QLD. That state doesnt have good work/life balance. I work for a Uni in NSW we have a 35hr work week, 15-20 sick days per year(depending on length of service) and for my Uni and several others we get the 3 working days between boxing day and new years day as free extra leave.

At most Unis in QLD you work 36.25-38 hrs per week, get 10 sick days a year and rarely do you get free leave at xmas. If there is an xmas shutdown they force you to take annual leave or leave without pay.
At the time when I left my home country, standard annual leave was (and still is) 6 weeks, standard working hours were 37. Standard paid sick leave per year 6 weeks. When I compare OZ with 4 weeks hols und standard 40hrs work per week, I have to work 278 hrs more per year!
Old Oct 1st 2008, 11:50 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

What would be better Sue is if the article pages allowed members to add comments, to which of course the author could also respond.
Agreed. Very good idea indeed.
There are plenty of accounts written in the forums of people experiences already for people to browse through and get a balanced viewpoint.

The Visa Bureau article on the front page however, appears to be distinctly one sided, and not a balanced view.

Allowing direct feedback comments to the article would help to counterbalance that and if that prevents even one couple from being led merrily down the garden path, that would surely be a good thing ?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:00 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I get 4 weeks plus public holidays and Im not expected to take annual leave at Christmas/Easter etc.

If I work a Sunday I get Lieu time which is great when I need time off.

I am expected to come in at the weekend if we have a contract going on but its swings and roundabouts as I will get 3 days off when I move house in a few weeks.

How many public holidays does WA have - anyone know?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:33 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I get 4 weeks plus public holidays and Im not expected to take annual leave at Christmas/Easter etc.

If I work a Sunday I get Lieu time which is great when I need time off.

I am expected to come in at the weekend if we have a contract going on but its swings and roundabouts as I will get 3 days off when I move house in a few weeks.

How many public holidays does WA have - anyone know?
Ten
It is correct in the posted article.
http://britishexpats.com/articles/au.../better-in-oz/

Listed in detail from 2007 to 2010 on the Gov site here...
http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/LabourRel...days/index.htm
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:05 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
"written by Visa Bureau" ....................
now they wouldn't have a vested interest in making the place look good, would they...
but why has it been published on BE when its a crock of shite?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
but why has it been published on BE when its a crock of shite?
Its not BE's responsibility to check the validity of people's opinions when they write articles. I wrote one myself ages ago; they aren't censored before they are hosted. As Sue has said, people need to write the opposing opinion.
There may be ones hosted about other countries that are equally misleading - not having lived in any of them I can't say.....Apparently though the NZ one is just a "fairytale".

I will mention the suggestions about comments to the Powers that run the place....
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its not BE's responsibility to check the validity of people's opinions when they write articles. I wrote one myself ages ago; they aren't censored before they are hosted. As Sue has said, people need to write the opposing opinion.
There's a big difference though between presenting your opinions, and listing as fact a whole lot of data which is simply incorrect, and strangely in every case where it is incorrect lends support to the overall 'opinion' being conveyed by the piece.

Clearly BE is not responsible for checking the validity of facts for all posts in every forum, I'm just curious as to why such a poorly researched and presented (or deliberately misleading, one of the two) article has been elevated to be the first thing people see when they visit the homepage of this site.

I fully understand this is not for you to moderate, and this is not a dig at you.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 1:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly BE is not responsible for checking the validity of facts for all posts in every forum, I'm just curious as to why such a poorly researched and presented (or deliberately misleading, one of the two) article has been elevated to be the first thing people see when they visit the homepage of this site.

I fully understand this is not for you to moderate, and this is not a dig at you.
It hasn't been elevated to the first thing. It's simply the last one that has been posted and as such is at the top. As other articles are written and published, it will move down possibly never to be seen again.

Obviously it was done as a marketing ploy to get people to use the visa bureau, but I should imagine it will lose them more customers because it's nonsense.

Edit: they do have an envelope next to the title so people can email them should they so wish.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Oct 2nd 2008 at 2:12 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It hasn't been elevated to the first thing. It's simply the last one that has been posted and as such is at the top. As other articles are written and published, it will move down possibly never to be seen again.

Obviously it was done as a marketing ploy to get people to use the visa bureau, but I should imagine it will lose them more customers because it's nonsense.

Edit: they do have an envelope next to the title so people can email them should they so wish.
Thats right, and the best way to get it OFF the front page is for someone to do an article thats accurate. The most recent is always on the front, as I know from experience

No probs
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I'm still miffed that we (in NSW at least) aren't getting a "proper" day off for Anzac Day next year because it falls on a Saturday. That just sucks.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:56 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
I'm still miffed that we (in NSW at least) aren't getting a "proper" day off for Anzac Day next year because it falls on a Saturday. That just sucks.
I'm 99% certain its the same in Qld. It really varies from state to state though. Some provide an alternative if Anzac day falls on a Saturday or Sunday, some only if it falls on a Sunday and others not at all. Perhaps individual companies will decide for themselves on a national basis??

In fact:

WA, ACT - always substitute
Vic, Tas - Never substitute
NSW,SA,Qld,NT - substitute only for Sunday ANZAC days

...apparently.

AND, in further trivia....in 2011 Easter Monday falls on ANZAC day! There is no additional holiday granted.

Last edited by bcworld; Oct 2nd 2008 at 3:02 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:58 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

Originally Posted by moneypen20

That envelope just pops up the "email to a friend" box.

What you want to do is contact Andy Harwood directly and tell him what you think of his pretty misleading article....
http://www.themara.com.au/online/ARS...1&ISearchFor2=

Power of the people !!!!!! yahhhhhoooo
Attached Thumbnails The Public Holiday numbers are very wrong-2-10-2008-1.01.31-pm.png  

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Oct 2nd 2008 at 3:03 am.