Reload this Page >

psychiatric nursing in Perth

psychiatric nursing in Perth

Old Mar 1st 2015, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Dean2514 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default psychiatric nursing in Perth

Hi All

I am looking into starting the process of moving to Australia, I have had a consultation with a company to manage the move and they feel with my current job role I should apply for PR.
I am looking to move to Perth, but I am struggling to find out if Registered Psychiatric Nurses are in demand in that area. The last thing I want is to move and not be able to find a job! I have been qualified for 2 years, but by the time we move it will be over three years and although I have only been qualified for two years I have over ten years experience in mental health nursing.
I also qualified with a degree (BSC)
Any information would be much appreciated

Regards
Dean
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 5:50 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: psychiatric nursing in Perth

Originally Posted by Dean2514
Hi All

I am looking into starting the process of moving to Australia, I have had a consultation with a company to manage the move and they feel with my current job role I should apply for PR.
I am looking to move to Perth, but I am struggling to find out if Registered Psychiatric Nurses are in demand in that area. The last thing I want is to move and not be able to find a job! I have been qualified for 2 years, but by the time we move it will be over three years and although I have only been qualified for two years I have over ten years experience in mental health nursing.
I also qualified with a degree (BSC)
Any information would be much appreciated

Regards
Dean
I don't know about Perth, but here in Newcastle we could always do with good psych nurses.
With a degree and experience, I expect you will be snapped up.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

charlene2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dean,

I'm in the same position as you!

I'm a psych nurse working in London but wanting to move to Australia on a working holiday visa and who knows the rest! I really have no idea where to start... I'm off to an exhibition in London tomorrow for people wanting to work as nurses in Australia so hopefully will get more guidance. I know one of the first steps is to register with the AHPRA but I'm concerned as they require a lot of documents, and no copies either, and what if the documents get lost in transit to and from Australia!

Then I also have questions about the working holiday visa. I can only work for 6 months with one employer. So I'm guessing I spend the rest of the year travelling and exploring...

Hopefully I'll be able to give you more information tomorrow night once I go to the exhibition!
Old Mar 20th 2015, 11:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlene2015
Hi Dean,

I'm in the same position as you!

I'm a psych nurse working in London but wanting to move to Australia on a working holiday visa and who knows the rest! I really have no idea where to start... I'm off to an exhibition in London tomorrow for people wanting to work as nurses in Australia so hopefully will get more guidance. I know one of the first steps is to register with the AHPRA but I'm concerned as they require a lot of documents, and no copies either, and what if the documents get lost in transit to and from Australia!

Then I also have questions about the working holiday visa. I can only work for 6 months with one employer. So I'm guessing I spend the rest of the year travelling and exploring...

Hopefully I'll be able to give you more information tomorrow night once I go to the exhibition!
Are you degree qualified?
Old Mar 20th 2015, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
Are you degree qualified?
Yes I am. I qualified September 2014 and looking to travel to Aus, Perth at the end of 2015 so will have one years experience in UK.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 11:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am. I qualified September 2014 and looking to travel to Aus, Perth at the end of 2015 so will have one years experience in UK.
Well the process is pretty simple once you manage to register.

Unfortunately AHPRA are not roving to be the most efficient organisation

Be wary of what you are promised at Expos....most of them will be agencies looking to recruit for nurses on temporary visas?

Psychiatric Nursing is pretty much in the dark ages in many places here.

Treat it as a holiday with a bit of work now and then
Old Mar 21st 2015, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
Well the process is pretty simple once you manage to register.

Unfortunately AHPRA are not roving to be the most efficient organisation

Be wary of what you are promised at Expos....most of them will be agencies looking to recruit for nurses on temporary visas?

Psychiatric Nursing is pretty much in the dark ages in many places here.

Treat it as a holiday with a bit of work now and then
Hmm.. Now you're making me think that tomorrow could potentially be a waste of my time??

And what do you mean temporary visas? Isn't that what I'm looking for? I don't want to move permanently to Australia, just stay for a year.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 12:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Hmm.. Now you're making me think that tomorrow could potentially be a waste of my time??

And what do you mean temporary visas? Isn't that what I'm looking for? I don't want to move permanently to Australia, just stay for a year.
Temporary visas (457) are very different to WHVs. Agencies are mostly looking for nurse for terms of up to 4 years at a time....often to fill 'hard to fill' positions.

They may not be so interested if you are only able to work for a few months.

The agencies at expos are often different from those offering occasional shifts.

There is plenty of work of that type but you may need to get yourself over here and sign on with one.

You may find something useful at an expo.....just take much of it with a pinch of salt.