Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pros & Cons of Melbourne...?

Pros & Cons of Melbourne...?

Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:48 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Pros & Cons of Melbourne...?

Originally Posted by Coppock
Ok... I didn't read the last couple of pages, but here's my 2 cents.......

I hated England, England had failed me. I wanted to get out asap, the weather was horrible, there was no money to be made, people were miserable.....

Then I realised that it wasn't England at all. It was me.
Many people get trapped into a "victim" mode, where everything is absolutely awful and it's all affecting me, and there is supposedly nothing I can do about it.

So what did I do?
I realised it was me, I realised that the family and friends around me were exactly the same - and that's what kept dragging me down.

So I moved an hour away to Wrexham. It's not quite Oz!!! But it was a plan - move an hour away, see if I can be happy there, get used to not having my family invading everyday, and then still see if I want to move to Oz...

We've been here now for a year and a half and love it. The opportunities are out there, you just need to have your eyes open.

We make our lives, our choices make our lives.
If you're in a crap job, choose to do something about it.
If you're not earning enough money, then either make your employer realise how much more you are worth to them, or choose to start a sideline business or get a second job.
If you're bored, choose to find something to do or take up a new hobby.
If your suburb is horrible, choose to move.
If you hate Australia, choose to come back to the UK.....

However if you can't be happy in the UK, and you can't be happy in Oz, then there's a very high probability that you will never be happy anywhere.

I'm sorry if the post is a bit vicious, and I value everyone's pros and cons, but I'm talking from an "ex-victim" and I have just heard so many frightening echo's of my former thinking and fears I've just got to come out and tell it as I see it.

If it's cold in Melbourne, then fine I'll buy a jacket.
If nobody leaves their house, I'll take up some sports to meet people.
If pay sucks then I'll put my prices up.
If my house is cold I'll get it insulated.

Melbourne will no doubt suit all - it sounds a very brash comment, but if it was the only place in the world that you could live, you'd find ways to be happy there. "The best of us can find happiness in misery".
Fantastic post. Eloquently describes what I have been saying in much plainer language. Happiness comes from inside. You can choose in life. You do not have to be a complaining victim.

BB
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Pros & Cons of Melbourne...?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Brilliant post, one of the best ever on these boards about moving away from things and migration reasons for many. Seriously a real pleasure to read and sums up a lot of reasons as the ins and outs of peoples mindset in what this move is about for them.

This post should be a sticky and read by all.

Thanks from me for posting it.
Thanks
That means a lot.
Jen
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:13 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

I hated England, England had failed me. I wanted to get out asap, the weather was horrible, there was no money to be made, people were miserable.....

Then I realised that it wasn't England at all. It was me.
Many people get trapped into a "victim" mode, where everything is absolutely awful and it's all affecting me, and there is supposedly nothing I can do about it.

So what did I do?
I realised it was me, I realised that the family and friends around me were exactly the same - and that's what kept dragging me down.

So I moved an hour away to Wrexham. It's not quite Oz!!! But it was a plan - move an hour away, see if I can be happy there, get used to not having my family invading everyday, and then still see if I want to move to Oz...

We've been here now for a year and a half and love it. The opportunities are out there, you just need to have your eyes open.

We make our lives, our choices make our lives.
If you're in a crap job, choose to do something about it.
If you're not earning enough money, then either make your employer realise how much more you are worth to them, or choose to start a sideline business or get a second job.
If you're bored, choose to find something to do or take up a new hobby.
If your suburb is horrible, choose to move.
If you hate Australia, choose to come back to the UK.....

However if you can't be happy in the UK, and you can't be happy in Oz, then there's a very high probability that you will never be happy anywhere.

I'm sorry if the post is a bit vicious, and I value everyone's pros and cons, but I'm talking from an "ex-victim" and I have just heard so many frightening echo's of my former thinking and fears I've just got to come out and tell it as I see it.

If it's cold in Melbourne, then fine I'll buy a jacket.
If nobody leaves their house, I'll take up some sports to meet people.
If pay sucks then I'll put my prices up.
If my house is cold I'll get it insulated.

Melbourne will no doubt suit all - it sounds a very brash comment, but if it was the only place in the world that you could live, you'd find ways to be happy there. "The best of us can find happiness in misery".
Here endeth the lesson
Old Jul 5th 2010, 10:09 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this. Sums up what a lot of us have been trying to say.