Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pros & Cons of Melbourne...?

Pros & Cons of Melbourne...?

Old Jul 3rd 2010, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pros & Cons of Melbourne...?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
What I mean by that is that the average Australian lives in ways which confound the average Brit. They confound me too!
I'd really like to see your thoughts on that Badge as it's been a long while out of the UK for me, and you've probably picked up on things I've forgotten about.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Anyone who is bored in either Melbourne or Brisbane needs to look at themselves and the choices they are making. There is loads to do in and around both cities.

BB
There is a distinct lack of choice in Australia, irrespective of which city a person lives in. There's a reason why Australia has one of the highest youth suicide rates in the world.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Completely disagree, even around where I live there is heaps to do - never a dull moment. I am happy to travel up to an hour for events/activities too - so that gives me the CBD, Yarra Valley, Dandenongs (on my doorstep of course), the alpine areas and the beach (fab walks there in winter too) and numerous interesting suburbs to explore. I'm always constantly reminded of how much more choice I have here than I had in Bristol - so I'm very happy

We are also lucky that many of the locals do not lock themselves away - but maybe that's the beauty of living in an established village.
It all depends on what you want in life. If a more exciting life is what a person is after, Australia is not the place to be. You can only do the walks, Yarra Valley, Dandenongs and the CBD so many times before it becomes very boring.

Interesting suburbs. Now there's an oxymoron for you.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Depends where they are, I find just about all of the inner suburbs that ring the CBD offer plenty...the CBD itself doesn't really float my boat though.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
Depends where they are, I find just about all of the inner suburbs that ring the CBD offer plenty...the CBD itself doesn't really float my boat though.
Agree. Completely bored sh!tless with the CBD. Sick to death of St Kilda. St. St Kilda has gone to the dogs in the last few years. It was a hell of a lot better 10 years ago. Same with Prahran and South Yarra.

I honestly don't know what has happened to Melbourne in the last 10 years. It must be the state Labor govt...

I never thought I would ever say this but I am contemplating a move to Sydney.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:15 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I could be wrong (I usually am)...I live 4 hrs West of Melbourne but we get there when we can. Love the city.

This could be rubbish but...it seems the happiest people on this forum live in Melbourne or Victoria somewhere or East South Australia.

Lots of people in Perth and Brisbane seem very frustrated with life here. Perhaps for them it was out of the frying pan into the fire.

As I said to start with though...I could be wrong.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:21 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. Completely bored sh!tless with the CBD. Sick to death of St Kilda. St. St Kilda has gone to the dogs in the last few years. It was a hell of a lot better 10 years ago. Same with Prahran and South Yarra.
I live right on the edge of the boundries of St Kilda...but very rarely find myself down in Acland St or Fitzroy St areas. Have to say though I generally don't get tired of doing the Chapel St walk through Windsor, Prahran & South Yarra. The inner northern suburbs are certainly a lot more edgy and interesting perhaps.

I never thought I would ever say this but I am contemplating a move to Sydney.

Change is as good as a holiday!

I used to be quite adamant that it was Melbourne only for me...but having spent a lot of time working in Syd this year I'd be more than happy to give it a go (but if you have a political axe to grind I'm sure state Labor comes into play again ).

The only thing I'm ruling out now is a move back to Brisbane....EVER!
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
I live right on the edge of the boundries of St Kilda...but very rarely find myself down in Acland St or Fitzroy St areas. Have to say though I generally don't get tired of doing the Chapel St walk through Windsor, Prahran & South Yarra. The inner northern suburbs are certainly a lot more edgy and interesting perhaps.
Heading for a wander around Collingwood today actually.

The problem with St Kilda and Prahran et al is that is has become too gentrified; it's lost it's edge. Not to mention the local council has turned into Nazis.

Change is as good as a holiday!

I used to be quite adamant that it was Melbourne only for me...but having spent a lot of time working in Syd this year I'd be more than happy to give it a go (but if you have a political axe to grind I'm sure state Labor comes into play again ).

The only thing I'm ruling out now is a move back to Brisbane....EVER!
I've lived in Sydney previously and always said I would never live there again. Now, I'm not so sure. After returning to Melbourne after 7 years in London I am finding it too small and too slow! (apart from the fact that i've spent 20 years in Melbourne in total)

Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane... I would sooner slit my wrist than move to either one of those places.

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Jul 3rd 2010 at 2:31 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'd really like to see your thoughts on that Badge as it's been a long while out of the UK for me, and you've probably picked up on things I've forgotten about.
To be continued - God help us...

You're across some of it already. Much of the problems I have observed not directly participated in.

It all depends on what you want in life. If a more exciting life is what a person is after, Australia is not the place to be. You can only do the walks, Yarra Valley, Dandenongs and the CBD so many times before it becomes very boring.

Yes. There are suburbs that are interesting, but interesting suburbs - no(!)

Don't like St Kilda.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 3:09 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Your wrong about the Wages.

Although most of this is helped by the Exchange rate. I'm not sure how you can make a statement like this.

Damn this thread is going to descend now, but I couldn't let this one go. Agreed with most other peoples percerptions as being relevant to them. Whereas the Wages thing is definitely incorrect. If you were to say things are more expensive here and you dont get so much for your money, then you could have a point.

From memory, circa 4 months ago, and this chestnut comes up all the time.... Average wage in Aus is now circa 65,000Aud and in the UK circa 25,000 pounds. I'm not going to bother looking it up this time around, As it's so skewed in Aussies favour at present because of the exchange rate that I know I'm definitely right.

Got to say this thread has some interesting perceptions in it, and although they may reflect how people see their lives in Aus, another person may see it differently.

Couldnt let this one go though.
Complete crock of shite mate.

Exchange rates vary all the time so trying to work out what you would be on back in the UK is a total nonsense.All i know is that im earning significantly less in real terms compared to back home...fact.
As for 'average earnings'....that really means bugger all.It only takes a few big earners to totally unbalance the whole 'average' thing.

65k ?!? i know that there are people on this site who wouldnt get out of bed for that but the vast majority of people i know and work with are no-where near this figure
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could try becoming a Night Sorter with Aus Post, because you Will earn over 36,000 pounds..... and get 35 days holiday per year plus public holidays. (or 5 weeks uptil your tenth year) We get an extra Aus post holiday at Xmas hence the xtra day.

Or Maybe a (level 1) Registered Nurse... in a Pysch Ward, because you Will Earn 42,000 pounds and again have 34 days holidays per year plus public holidays after 10 years.

Come back when you can show me UK equivalents earning that, with those kind of holidays.

I'd say our income would drop 40 pct in the UK, especially as we would both have to start on 1st year wages. I went to the trouble of putting myself on the Royal Mail jobs list and waited for their vacancies to come through..... I was after this current cheap housing in London relative to Melbourne, However the wages amongst other things put me right off.

All Aus Post Night sorters earn this... after 10 years... I know this for a fact, Average Income.... Same with the Nurses, although they tend to earn slightly more..

It's all about being Established.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 3rd 2010 at 3:20 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 3:21 am
Banned

Mr Data is on a distinguished road

Your wrong about the Wages.

Although most of this is helped by the Exchange rate. I'm not sure how you can make a statement like this.

Damn this thread is going to descend now, but I couldn't let this one go. Agreed with most other peoples percerptions as being relevant to them. Whereas the Wages thing is definitely incorrect. If you were to say things are more expensive here and you dont get so much for your money, then you could have a point.

From memory, circa 4 months ago, and this chestnut comes up all the time.... Average wage in Aus is now circa 65,000Aud and in the UK circa 25,000 pounds. I'm not going to bother looking it up this time around, As it's so skewed in Aussies favour at present because of the exchange rate that I know I'm definitely right.

Got to say this thread has some interesting perceptions in it, and although they may reflect how people see their lives in Aus, another person may see it differently.

Couldnt let this one go though.
Agree

Low wages tend to reflect marketability which in turn leads one to think about what steps were taken ahead of their current position?

From my experience $60k to $80k is pretty normal for most lower quartile workers. In context our 18 year old nanny/housekeeper earns $35k for part time work. And she only finished year 12 last year.

If someone is complaining about wages its more likely an excuse for other areas of ones life. And no doubt they would be complaining the same in the UK or elsewhere.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Complete crock of shite mate.

Exchange rates vary all the time so trying to work out what you would be on back in the UK is a total nonsense.All i know is that im earning significantly less in real terms compared to back home...fact.
As for 'average earnings'....that really means bugger all.It only takes a few big earners to totally unbalance the whole 'average' thing.

65k ?!? i know that there are people on this site who wouldnt get out of bed for that but the vast majority of people i know and work with are no-where near this figure
Here it is broken down by profession...

http://www.livingin-australia.com/salaries-australia/
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 3:30 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Data
Agree

Low wages tend to reflect marketability which in turn leads one to think about what steps were taken ahead of their current position?

From my experience $60k to $80k is pretty normal for most lower quartile workers. In context our 18 year old nanny/housekeeper earns $35k for part time work. And she only finished year 12 last year.

If someone is complaining about wages its more likely an excuse for other areas of ones life. And no doubt they would be complaining the same in the UK or elsewhere.
60 - 80 k...dream on baby
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 3:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
60 - 80 k...dream on baby
Yep, there are large numbers of workers who can only dream of $60-80k, and they aren't all 18 year olds either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.