Reload this Page >

Proof of residential address when living at Brother's

Proof of residential address when living at Brother's

Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

erfanonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of residential address when living at Brother's

Hi,
We are planning to move to Melbourne. I have been doing some researches on settling there and about different things that we shall need. My brother is a citizen of Australia and I shall be staying at his house (unless I move to another city for job purpose). What I am seeing is, most services (i.e. Visa credit/debit card, driver's license and most other things) require a proof of address in Australia. The accepted documents are utility bill, landphone bill, home purchase receipt etc in own name. But, as I shall be living in my brother's house, I will not have those in my name. At most I shall have cell phone in my name (but cell phone bill does not count as a proof)

Have anyone faced this issue before? What can be the solution in this case (without renting a separate accommodation)?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:05 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of residential address when living at Brother's

Originally Posted by erfanonline
Hi,
We are planning to move to Melbourne. I have been doing some researches on settling there and about different things that we shall need. My brother is a citizen of Australia and I shall be staying at his house (unless I move to another city for job purpose). What I am seeing is, most services (i.e. Visa credit/debit card, driver's license and most other things) require a proof of address in Australia. The accepted documents are utility bill, landphone bill, home purchase receipt etc in own name. But, as I shall be living in my brother's house, I will not have those in my name. At most I shall have cell phone in my name (but cell phone bill does not count as a proof)

Have anyone faced this issue before? What can be the solution in this case (without renting a separate accommodation)?
Post moved to the main forum as not related to visas, citizenship, etc.

Probably best to see about setting up a bank account first - maybe go with your brother. Once you have bank account, they can sign to verify address for you for driving license.

Not sure what documents you would need for bank account, as we set ours up from UK - passport, visa grant letter, and letter from brother confirming address maybe. Hopefully someone else in similar situation will know.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

We set up our bank account and gave a work address and they accepted that no problem. I'm sure going on that they would take your brothers address. Then you can use any bank statement for future proof of address requirements.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by erfanonline
Hi,

I opened a bank account without having an address yet, I told the bank that it was the address of a friend and it was ok. Then you can get a bank statement with that address. That's all I needed to get a driver's licence, they also accept a passport as proof of ID, so that would be 2 documents. More is normally not needed. My German passport was everywhere accepted as proof of ID and I just moved 2 months ago, so just recently.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Post moved to the main forum as not related to visas, citizenship, etc.

Probably best to see about setting up a bank account first - maybe go with your brother. Once you have bank account, they can sign to verify address for you for driving license.

Not sure what documents you would need for bank account, as we set ours up from UK - passport, visa grant letter, and letter from brother confirming address maybe. Hopefully someone else in similar situation will know.
Originally Posted by LeeWillo
We set up our bank account and gave a work address and they accepted that no problem. I'm sure going on that they would take your brothers address. Then you can use any bank statement for future proof of address requirements.
Originally Posted by musicalfever4
I opened a bank account without having an address yet, I told the bank that it was the address of a friend and it was ok. Then you can get a bank statement with that address. That's all I needed to get a driver's licence, they also accept a passport as proof of ID, so that would be 2 documents. More is normally not needed. My German passport was everywhere accepted as proof of ID and I just moved 2 months ago, so just recently.

Agreed.