Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Problem..Exchanging UK license

Problem..Exchanging UK license

Old Apr 24th 2015, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem..Exchanging UK license

Originally Posted by louie
Pink? Mine's green......

We're off to SA as well next month. I'm already a bit concerned about this comment from the SA website - "Once you are issued with a South Australian learner's permit or driver's licence, your overseas licence is invalid and you may be required to surrender it".

There's no way I am either giving up my UK license (of course it does not become invalid in the UK), nor am I applying for a photocard licence which has ten year validity instead of to age 70. Might have to get a letter as Swervo suggested.
Yeah you want to hang on to the UK plastic one. You need it for getting into RSL and other type of clubs if you live within a 5 km radius otherwise they make you become a member - well they do in NSW anyway
Old Apr 24th 2015, 12:30 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yeah you want to hang on to the UK plastic one. You need it for getting into RSL and other type of clubs if you live within a 5 km radius otherwise they make you become a member - well they do in NSW anyway

They certainly do! Always useful to have the second licence for that alone.

S
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Whoa, so with a UK license you can just convert it with no test and continue driving with a newly-issued Aussie one (makes sense), but if the Aussie one expires then after X years you cannot renew it without a test... even though you still have a UK licence that would allow for an instant conversion... if you never switched to an Aussie one previously?

Wow...
If you have just returned to to OZ, and your OZ licence has expired, then you can swap your current UK one back to an Australian again.

It is only if your Australian licence has expired over 5 years, and you have no other current licence from the recognised country list. ie: you have not been driving for some years, that they will need a test again.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCD......
If you have just returned to to OZ, and your OZ licence has expired, then you can swap your current UK one back to an Australian again.

It is only if your Australian licence has expired over 5 years, and you have no other current licence from the recognised country list. ie: you have not been driving for some years, that they will need a test again.
Problem is that they have a UK paper licence and whichever transport dept they spoke to refuses to accept paper, only plastjc.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 6:32 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't plastic licenses in the UK been around for a very long time?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 6:46 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't plastic licenses in the UK been around for a very long time?
They have - I was in the original trial group for them - but there is no obligation for you to change to one.

The A3 paper licence remains perfectly valid as a driving licence.

S
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

The Australian Motor Registries may be confused as to what is a valid UK licence.
For example; a UK Newspaper Article in 2013 stated: "The ten-year photocard licences will become mandatory in 2015 when the paper licences are officially phased out. A quarter of drivers are still using the old-style paper licences."

A more recent article states: "The paper element of the driving licence, which accompanies the credit card size photo-card, is also due to be axed on 8th June 2015."
Old Apr 25th 2015, 1:25 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
They have - I was in the original trial group for them - but there is no obligation for you to change to one.

The A3 paper licence remains perfectly valid as a driving licence.
Herein lies the problem. They should have phased these out like everyone else in Europe when the EU adopted a common format for these documents.

Similarly, in a day and age where identity theft and people smuggling are rife, a proper ID card system would be useful.

Anyway, my license has already been converted to a NSW one, now I need to wait until I have been in QLD for 3 months to switch to a local one here...

Makes me wonder what residents of Coolangatta do if they move house every so often and happen to hop across the state line each time...
Old May 22nd 2015, 3:02 am

Anyway, my license has already been converted to a NSW one, now I need to wait until I have been in QLD for 3 months to switch to a local one here...
Whereas in NSW I was able to get a licence printed on the spot, here in Queensland I have to wait to receive it in the post.

Anyone know how long it roughly takes to receive it? Also, do all QLD centres work this way or do some produce licences on the spot?
Old May 22nd 2015, 3:37 am
has lost The Game

Whereas in NSW I was able to get a licence printed on the spot, here in Queensland I have to wait to receive it in the post.

Anyone know how long it roughly takes to receive it? Also, do all QLD centres work this way or do some produce licences on the spot?

It's gone that way in NSW now - The Service NSW centres don't have the capability to generate the new licence card on the spot, so they give you a piece of paper and then send the card through the post.

Some of the old registries can still generate an on the spot card - Marrickville being one - though I believe these are being phased out over time.

S
Old May 22nd 2015, 4:23 am

How long does it usually take to get the licence by post? A week, two perhaps?
Old May 22nd 2015, 4:25 am
has lost The Game

How long does it usually take to get the licence by post? A week, two perhaps?

NSW was about 4 days. No idea about QLD. Do you have a temporary cover note so you can drive?

S
Old May 22nd 2015, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
NSW was about 4 days. No idea about QLD. Do you have a temporary cover note so you can drive?
Yes, I have a temporary print-out so no worries there. It's just that for some stuff I would like to have my licence already (buying a SIM pack, etc.).

It's been about a week already so hopefully the wait won't be too much longer...
Old May 22nd 2015, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

The Australian Motor Registries may be confused as to what is a valid UK licence.
For example; a UK Newspaper Article in 2013 stated: "The ten-year photocard licences will become mandatory in 2015 when the paper licences are officially phased out. A quarter of drivers are still using the old-style paper licences."

A more recent article states: "The paper element of the driving licence, which accompanies the credit card size photo-card, is also due to be axed on 8th June 2015."
I 'think' both paragraphs are correct, the bit they have left out is about being mandatory for new licence applications. I believe I read that the 'mandatory for all no what, kicks off in 2017. In other words, the two part licence is going this year but paper only holders have until 2017.

Maybe
Old May 22nd 2015, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you are right. We came to the UK in 2010, both having NSW gold licences. Mrs TB renewed her Oz licence from the UK at the end of 2010 but in 2012 swapped it for UK photo one (she didn't have a UK licence prior). That NSW licence expires the end of this year ( Oct I think) so if we return to Oz in the next couple of years she'll still be ok just to swap back?

My own NSW licence expired end of 2013 and I am renewing soon ( I think you have two years to do this fron O/S). There was no such thing as licence exchanges when I moved to Oz so I've always had completely separate ones ( my UK one is photo now).

So sounds like we will both be ok?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.