Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Problem..Exchanging UK license

Problem..Exchanging UK license

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 2:45 am
Just Joined

trane22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problem..Exchanging UK license

Hi...I have let my Australian license expire just over 5 years, and am returning to Australia, i called the license folks in OZ and they said i would have to go back on learners and go though all the Provisional stuff again...i mentioned that i got my OZ license via my UK license....she then said OK that's fine just bring it, the UK one in, and they can exchange it again..GREAT...However its the old pink paper license...hers the problem she said they will only exchange from a UK photo license....but, to to that i would have to go back to the UK, as they wont exchange on an overseas address...Im in Asia, and don't want to go all the way back to the UK just to get a photo license...I called the DVLC in the UK and they said, the paper license is still a valid document????..so im not sure who is correct...ive tried calling Australia again but the wait time is costing me heaps....be great if anyone has some ideas without me returning to the UK to to get a photo license...cheers

Last edited by trane22; Apr 23rd 2015 at 2:52 am. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of
Default Re: Problem..Exchanging UK license

Do you have a UK address that you can use? if so complete all paperwork (download in Asia) send complete with photo, payment etc and the license will be delivered to the UK address. Get the person at the UK address to then forward to you, so you can present in Australia.

I also think it would be worth risking just showing them (in Australia) your old UK license and expired Australian license, that will have your photo on. The reason being having dealt with these people recently you will get 5 different answers from 5 different people !! and all were adamant that they were correct. I went with the choice that suited me best and hey presto, everything was fine.

You are obviously not a learner driver, I think they just want to check for points etc.. that you may have collected over the past 5 years. They just assume that you will always have had a valid license to drive somewhere.

Hope this helps, good luck
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:28 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trane22
Hi...I have let my Australian license expire just over 5 years, and am returning to Australia, i called the license folks in OZ and they said i would have to go back on learners and go though all the Provisional stuff again...i mentioned that i got my OZ license via my UK license....she then said OK that's fine just bring it, the UK one in, and they can exchange it again..GREAT...However its the old pink paper license...hers the problem she said they will only exchange from a UK photo license....but, to to that i would have to go back to the UK, as they wont exchange on an overseas address...Im in Asia, and don't want to go all the way back to the UK just to get a photo license...I called the DVLC in the UK and they said, the paper license is still a valid document????..so im not sure who is correct...ive tried calling Australia again but the wait time is costing me heaps....be great if anyone has some ideas without me returning to the UK to to get a photo license...cheers

Surely you can just reactivate your old Australian Licence? You don't have to go back to scratch if you happen to let it expire? That's crazy!

In NSW they ask if you have ever held a previous NSW licence, and what the number was. Those records must endure somewhere surely?

S
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Which State did you talk to? Might help as then we can check the rules for that State And remember call centre staff are not usually well-informed on unusual situations.......
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like it would be easier to take your test again.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 5:31 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Sounds like it would be easier to take your test again.
Queensland looks like a 5 year limit after the Aus one expires, but not sure what ghe position is with UK paper licences ....

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/lic...son/index.html
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 5:35 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Queensland looks like a 5 year limit after the Aus one expires, but not sure what ghe position is with UK paper licences ....

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/lic...son/index.html

I don't think they will transfer them - I know a friend of mine couldn't get an NSW licence from a UK A3 paper based one.

Though, DVLA are of course correct - It does remain a full and proper driving licence...

S
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 5:42 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't think they will transfer them - I know a friend of mine couldn't get an NSW licence from a UK A3 paper based one.

Though, DVLA are of course correct - It does remain a full and proper driving licence...

S
Actually, it looks like that has changed for NSW:

If you can’t provide your overseas licence, you will need to provide a letter from the overseas licence issuing authority confirming your licence details and status, or a letter from a relevant consulate or diplomatic office (based on information received from the overseas licence issuing authority) confirming your licence details and status
Looks like you can get away with a letter from DVLA. You should check that with QLD too...

S
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Oz (NSW) license from 25 years ago, then had a UK one for many years, then when I came to Oz 4 years ago I remember I went into the RTA and them telling me I needed to do a test because my Oz one had expired. I was on their system. I seem to remember jumping up and down about it and I was able to get an Oz one again, but they were going to make me do a test at one point.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:14 am
Just Joined

trane22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thx for all the replys...the 5 year thing is right , most states wont let the OZ license expire past the 5 year period...ill be SA...the DVLC letter thing sounds like a goer, if i can organise that and get in contact with them...the person that suggested taking the test again, that would be like taking O level maths again, not sure how id go!!!..anyway the P plate stuff would be a hasstle and not something im not prepared to go though, having driven cars and bikes for 30 years now.

I hope common sense prevails and can provide the OZ license folks with as much as possible
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

... common sense prevails ...
Please do not mention common sense + anything to do with driving in Australia in the same sentence. As far as officialdom is concerned, you get into the car, put on the seatbelt and leave the common sense behind!
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:52 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Toe Dipper
Please do not mention common sense + anything to do with driving in Australia in the same sentence.

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

However its the old pink paper license
Pink? Mine's green......

We're off to SA as well next month. I'm already a bit concerned about this comment from the SA website - "Once you are issued with a South Australian learner's permit or driver's licence, your overseas licence is invalid and you may be required to surrender it".

There's no way I am either giving up my UK license (of course it does not become invalid in the UK), nor am I applying for a photocard licence which has ten year validity instead of to age 70. Might have to get a letter as Swervo suggested.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

I had a paper UK license for many years and a couple of years ago I fancied converting it to the plastic one. I managed to do this online through the DVLC. They even used my passport photograph as the departments are interconnected so I didn't even have to send a new one in.

I used my sisters address in Sussex and they sent my new license there. Piece of cake.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:17 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa, so with a UK license you can just convert it with no test and continue driving with a newly-issued Aussie one (makes sense), but if the Aussie one expires then after X years you cannot renew it without a test... even though you still have a UK licence that would allow for an instant conversion... if you never switched to an Aussie one previously?

Wow...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.