Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Schools Perth North of River

Private Schools Perth North of River

Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:44 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Schools Perth North of River

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Don't be fooled by the Australian (and a few on here also) propaganda that "it's not worse or better it's just different..."
So what do you suggest we all do about it?

We have kids. They need an education. As parents we all strive to give our kids the best that we can. I find it difficult when we (the adults) make the decision to emigrate and accept a new country with it's flaws and laws and then bleat about it's failings.

There is always an alternative and an option to boost or supplement education. I honestly doubt that my kids would have got a better education in our UK hometown, but then again, I'm not fixated with league tables, comparing my kids to their peers and pushing them into extra work.

There is a lot to be said for the confidence that an Aussie education gives. Public speaking from a young age, class and year group mediators and faction captains - all positions that the children have to campaign for and work with their peers to maintain and develop. A much greater emphasis on sports / swimming and 'having a go' regardless of ability.

Perhaps my children's academic 'scores' may be different to their achievements in the UK had we stayed - who knows? They could have been 'burnt out' but the pressure to achieve by 11.... There were children at my kids schools getting very stressed and upset by having to sit in the school hall in exam conditions at the age of 7, taking their SATs.

There are more opportunities that have presented themselves to my children than I honestly think they would have had at a similar age back home. Where's the propaganda in one person's opinion??

Education is and always will be a very emotive subject. We all want what's best for our children.

Sorry NB - good luck with the High School. I really hope you get your choice

Jules x
Old Mar 10th 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
.. We looked at renting ours out and renting in catchment for a better school but we can't afford to do that either as rent on our house would no way cover our mortgage. We have exhausted all trains of thought.
Sounds like you have more options now NB, but if it came to it, wouldn't the rent payable in a different suburb still be much lower than the mortgage repayments on your own house? If so, you could use the difference to top up the shortfall and pay the mortgage?

Someone might correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you also get substantial tax benefits from renting out your own place at a level that doesn't cover the mortgage interest (you could also go interest only if you had to). So even if you are paying higher rent than you receive for your own house, you should at least break even. Or have they scrapped negative gearing now?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 3:40 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesandco

We have kids. They need an education. As parents we all strive to give our kids the best that we can. I find it difficult when we (the adults) make the decision to emigrate and accept a new country with it's flaws and laws and then bleat about it's failings.

There is always an alternative and an option to boost or supplement education. I honestly doubt that my kids would have got a better education in our UK hometown, but then again, I'm not fixated with league tables, comparing my kids to their peers and pushing them into extra work.

There is a lot to be said for the confidence that an Aussie education gives. Public speaking from a young age, class and year group mediators and faction captains - all positions that the children have to campaign for and work with their peers to maintain and develop. A much greater emphasis on sports / swimming and 'having a go' regardless of ability.

Perhaps my children's academic 'scores' may be different to their achievements in the UK had we stayed - who knows? They could have been 'burnt out' but the pressure to achieve by 11.... There were children at my kids schools getting very stressed and upset by having to sit in the school hall in exam conditions at the age of 7, taking their SATs.

There are more opportunities that have presented themselves to my children than I honestly think they would have had at a similar age back home. Where's the propaganda in one person's opinion??

Education is and always will be a very emotive subject. We all want what's best for our children.

Sorry NB - good luck with the High School. I really hope you get your choice

Jules x

Absolutely agree with you 100%

All that I ask as a parent is that my children try their best at school and more importantly enjoy their childhood.

I'm a firm believer that learning is a life-long process and children shouldn't have to cram everything in before they leave school.

That said, I would like them to do well at school and will encourage and support them to, but my main concern is that they are happy, confident, decent human beings

When we first came here our children went to the local public school. After a few problems, we decided to move them to the Christian College. They are both doing very well academically but more importantly they are becoming more rounded individuals.

Good luck C, hope it pans out for you x
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:58 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
Sounds like you have more options now NB, but if it came to it, wouldn't the rent payable in a different suburb still be much lower than the mortgage repayments on your own house? If so, you could use the difference to top up the shortfall and pay the mortgage?

Someone might correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you also get substantial tax benefits from renting out your own place at a level that doesn't cover the mortgage interest (you could also go interest only if you had to). So even if you are paying higher rent than you receive for your own house, you should at least break even. Or have they scrapped negative gearing now?
Our mortgage is $3000 a month The rent we would get would be around the $2000 a month mark. We would be having to pay up to another $2000 a month on a place in catchment for one of the top state schools. Shortfall of up to $3000 a month. Just can't afford it. Negative gearing only applies if you purchase a second place, not rent. I feel a lot better now that I have the almost 100% option of a better state school albeit out of catchment. We had worked through every option apart from moving back to the UK which obviously for us wasn't an option.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

x
There's no point in having a go at me for it!

Recognition of a system's failings is the first step - not trying to suggest that it's just somehow 'different'.
I have no experience or understanding of nursery education in Australia so I can't give you advice on what to do.

In terms of secondary education, living where you want to live and having the best education for your child is mutually exclusive for many people.

Many Brits want the beach lifestyle that the northern suburbs offer and to be surrounded by other Brits. This is fine but the plain facts are that in academic terms, the schools are pretty woeful north of Karrinyup Road.

So, when you move over, if you are someone who is concerned about your child's education don't priortise your lifestyle choices over their future opportunities.

(Of course there will be some people who had absolutely no choice in their area of residence - but very few)
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about your problems NB, I hope you get something sorted soon.

I wouldnt rush back to the UK, its not much different.

Good schools have waiting lists, and high house prices in catchment areas in the UK too.
My sister in the UK moved house 3 times due to problems with so called 'good' high schools.

In fact one of the reasons we left the UK (prior to Aussie move) was due to eldest getting to high school age. UK primary schools were fine, but high schools were full of problems, and the private schools were not much better.
So we packed up and headed abroad. This worked great for us, and then moved to Australia.

We have found schools vary here just like the UK.

Did you know that homeschooling is very popular here in Australia. In fact Perth and WA has a Yahoo homeschooling group. Also they meet up every week and have trips and educational day outs all the time.

Gems
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:05 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
There's no point in having a go at me for it!

Recognition of a system's failings is the first step - not trying to suggest that it's just somehow 'different'.
Because you're the one saying that we're all stupid for believing the 'propaganda' about the education system being 'different'.

We chose to emigrate. We chose where to live. Not our children. They are considerations within a VERY big picture.

I do feel that the school my kids go to is very good. The teaching staff are passionate and there is a real 'community' feel to it - something that I certainly didn't experience in my own secondary education in England. Who can say ultimately how their education would have compared with the UK? I wouldn't relish the thought of them going to the local comp in our old catchment area.

I just don't understand what you think we should all do? Campaign for a UK curriculum? Insist that things are done as we have experienced previously?

OK - some of the education system here is failing. Some of it is failing in the UK. How can I alter this as one Mother trying to do the best for my three kids?

I love my kids, but we had business restrictions surrounding our move here. We give them the best that we possibly can within our means and our time constraints. Education is no different - we give them the best that we can afford - in all meanings of the word.

Jules x
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Gems

Did you know that homeschooling is very popular here in Australia. In fact Perth and WA has a Yahoo homeschooling group. Also they meet up every week and have trips and educational day outs all the time.

Gems
I really admire people who chose to do this - for my family, it's not a viable option. We run a business from home and would be unable to devote the time or effort that would be required to make this a viable alternative.

And to be honest, haven't got the educational experience to back this up ourselves.

My cousin in the UK has homeschooled and this has probably given me a very poor view of the scheme. Her son is very insular and stays up all night surfing the net and in bed until mid day. He took one GCSE a year early last year and got a D and has his 'proper' exams coming up soon.

His subjects studied have ranged from agriculture to music - all appearing to be a flash in the pan. What about fitness and social skills? You can be the most clever student in the country, but if you can't communicate your ideas or methods, what's the point?

Anyway - bad case study I know, but I think it takes a special dedication to home school.

Jules x
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Because you're the one saying that we're all stupid for believing the 'propaganda' about the education system being 'different'.

We chose to emigrate. We chose where to live. Not our children. They are considerations within a VERY big picture.

I do feel that the school my kids go to is very good. The teaching staff are passionate and there is a real 'community' feel to it - something that I certainly didn't experience in my own secondary education in England. Who can say ultimately how their education would have compared with the UK? I wouldn't relish the thought of them going to the local comp in our old catchment area.

I just don't understand what you think we should all do? Campaign for a UK curriculum? Insist that things are done as we have experienced previously?

OK - some of the education system here is failing. Some of it is failing in the UK. How can I alter this as one Mother trying to do the best for my three kids?

I love my kids, but we had business restrictions surrounding our move here. We give them the best that we possibly can within our means and our time constraints. Education is no different - we give them the best that we can afford - in all meanings of the word.

Jules x
There are too many issues here. I only raised two.

1. That the OECD (not me) has stated that Australian nursery education, at least by two measures (enrolments and spending), lags far behind other rich countries. This isn’t an opinion, it’s a fact. It is ‘different’ - it’s worse. You make your own decisions but it needs pointing out.
2. That there are very few secondary schools in the northern suburbs which, on academic terms can meet the state average for results. Again, people make their own decisions, but many people who move here are not aware of this data.

Why would a UK curriculum make schools here better?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Our mortgage is $3000 a month The rent we would get would be around the $2000 a month mark. We would be having to pay up to another $2000 a month on a place in catchment for one of the top state schools. Shortfall of up to $3000 a month. Just can't afford it. Negative gearing only applies if you purchase a second place, not rent. I feel a lot better now that I have the almost 100% option of a better state school albeit out of catchment. We had worked through every option apart from moving back to the UK which obviously for us wasn't an option.
Looking at your sums, the shortfall of $3,000 would just be equivalent to your current mortgage, not on top of it. So your overall monthly expenditure on housing would be the same, right? I'm sure it would be possible if you had to do it.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
Looking at your sums, the shortfall of $3,000 would just be equivalent to your current mortgage, not on top of it. So your overall monthly expenditure on housing would be the same, right? I'm sure it would be possible if you had to do it.
That is why I don't homeschool Can't add up

I guess if push comes to shove it is possible then.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

jillandsi will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Just looking for an opinion on our current choice if you don't mind.

We can live pretty much anywhere but preferred the feel of NOR, based on that we are choosing where to live based on the high school (girls currently age 7 & 9 yrs). At the moment we have narrowed it down to first choice:Shenton or Churchlands, second choice:Carine or Duncraig, now I am of the understanding that Shenton and Churchlands are very good and we can get a decent rental in those catchments but am concerned that we might not be able to buy which would mean staying in a rental for the next 10years (not too pleased but will do it if needs be, I'm assuming you can't move out of the catchment once they start going to school). For Carine and Duncraig we can get a rental and buy at an affordable price but the schools, while good (I think) aren't as good as the first two.

With all of your combined knowledge of the schools in Perth do you all think it is worth the extra bother to go for the first choice or would the second choice do us just as good (both girls do quite well academically at school, and we are very involved parents) my husband feels that as long as there is a decent percentage who do well then our children will probably be in that percentage, which I agree with to a point.

He also does not want to commit ourselves to private fees in case we struggle for work, somebody replied to a similar question on another forum saying that unless we were to get in Sacred Heart in Sorrento that the other private wouldn't be worth bothering with over those 4 schools.

Many thank in anticiaption

Jillian
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is bringing in a National Curriculum, some say similar to the UK one.
Think it comes in next year.

However we shall have to wait and see how good it is.
Problem with WA is too much variation between teachers never mind schools.

Gems
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gems
Problem with WA is too much variation between teachers never mind schools.

Gems
Exactly right. (and until the government tackles the root cause of why this happens, parents will continue to get a bum deal)
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jillandsi
Hi,

Just looking for an opinion on our current choice if you don't mind.

We can live pretty much anywhere but preferred the feel of NOR, based on that we are choosing where to live based on the high school (girls currently age 7 & 9 yrs). At the moment we have narrowed it down to first choice:Shenton or Churchlands, second choice:Carine or Duncraig, now I am of the understanding that Shenton and Churchlands are very good and we can get a decent rental in those catchments but am concerned that we might not be able to buy which would mean staying in a rental for the next 10years (not too pleased but will do it if needs be, I'm assuming you can't move out of the catchment once they start going to school). For Carine and Duncraig we can get a rental and buy at an affordable price but the schools, while good (I think) aren't as good as the first two.

With all of your combined knowledge of the schools in Perth do you all think it is worth the extra bother to go for the first choice or would the second choice do us just as good (both girls do quite well academically at school, and we are very involved parents) my husband feels that as long as there is a decent percentage who do well then our children will probably be in that percentage, which I agree with to a point.

He also does not want to commit ourselves to private fees in case we struggle for work, somebody replied to a similar question on another forum saying that unless we were to get in Sacred Heart in Sorrento that the other private wouldn't be worth bothering with over those 4 schools.

Many thank in anticiaption

Jillian
You can move out of the rental and suburb. You don't have to stay there! Schools are pretty good in putting the needs of the child first even though the parents' circumstances may have changed.

If you're like me then you will move anywhere that is financially possible to get your kids into the best schools.

Others will disagree and not want to do the above.

The attached file Page 23, Table 1 is your key to finding out where your school fits compared with the rest of the state.

Concentrate on the three columns - Low, Medium, High. State average is 33% in each. More than 33% in any one column means that there are more kids in that level of achievement in your school than the state average.
Attached Files

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.