Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Schools Perth North of River

Private Schools Perth North of River

Old Mar 10th 2009, 5:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Schools Perth North of River

Originally Posted by northernbird
I wish I could do it but I just can't. The guilt over the hypocrisy wouldn't sit well with me.
No I couldn't either. Not just you.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could do it but I just can't. The guilt over the hypocrisy wouldn't sit well with me.
I understand that - but your own conscience also plays the other way (as I'm sure you know)
Old Mar 10th 2009, 6:11 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I understand that - but your own conscience also plays the other way (as I'm sure you know)
I agree and I was indeed quite conflicted for a while but I just couldn't do it.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
The whole waiting list malarky drives me nuts here, I'm afraid to say. We live SOR, where there aren't many decent schools unfortunately. Before coming to Perth, I called quite a few private schools but all had lengthy waiting lists. I managed to get my 7 year old into one in the end though, and he's doing fine there, but it's not a long term option for us.

My 3 and a half year old son is really dipping out living here in my opinion. After three bad experiences of the awful day care provision, I managed to get him into a wonderful playschool in Singleton run by an ex teacher from England. When I applied there was a huge waiting list with no hope of getting a place before 2010. I went along to their open day, and was so bowled over by the place I was in floods of tears. The owner, bless her, managed to juggle things and was able to give my son 4 hours a week, which I'm so grateful for. Sadly there isn't much hope of getting any more hours in the forseable future though. I feel guilty because in England he'd be going to nursery 5 mornings per week now.

I recently checked out some of the high achieving schools NOR, and to my amazement Scotch offered my 7 year old a place on the phone! but I turned it down because they couldn't guarantee one for the 3 year old in the future. I can't give a decent education to one and not the other.

The schools issue has left me feeling jaded and angry, and I've ended up being very critical about WA as a consequence - silly, I know. Our plan is to go back to England this year, where I know access to decent education is far easier than here. Shame, because I'm actually starting to quite like it here now!

Good luck Nothernbird, I'm sure it'll all work out fine.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

I agree and I was indeed quite conflicted for a while but I just couldn't do it.

A little bit different for me as I am Catholic. We never got my daughter baptised but she attended a Catholic school in the UK. We put her name down for the Catholic school we and she wanted her to go to but there was a huge waiting list for non- catholics.

Decided to start going to church and then got her baptised. It was also what she wanted as she has always thought of herself as Catholic.

She was then put on the Catholic waiting list which was a lot shorter. She still did not get in and started at another school. A week later of her being unhappy and me ending up writing a letter to the headmaster she got in !!!

Best thing we ever did , as she loves it there.

Nicky
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:04 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heljinder
I feel guilty because in England he'd be going to nursery 5 mornings per week now.
I don't understand why you feel guilty about this. The school system is different here. They start later and the 'push' isn't as academic.

My youngest is only this week starting 5 day a week school and he turned 5 last month. Yes, I know back in the UK he'd have been in full time school ages ago, but I don't see as it makes a great deal of difference unless I was going back to England and compare his educational levels with old friends.

There are lots of good schools around. I certainly wouldn't be rushing back to our home town in the UK to give our kids a better education, but I appreciate we're all different.

Good luck.

Jules x
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:05 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
And what's that supposed to mean? My children go to Clarkson and are doing just fine, thank you. Your children are still kindy and younger, aren't they? What exactly do you know about Clarkson, or any high school? How much personal experience do you have?
We decided not to move to the northern suburbs as the only avaliable public schools were Clarkson and Wanneroo.At the time we knew nothing about schools but no one had a good word for clarkson,we had an unnofficial meet with someone from the education dept,that kind off made the decision for us.
We ended moving SOR,still like NOR but schools were the problem.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catch
We decided not to move to the northern suburbs as the only avaliable public schools were Clarkson and Wanneroo.At the time we knew nothing about schools but no one had a good word for clarkson,we had an unnofficial meet with someone from the education dept,that kind off made the decision for us.
We moved too. When we realized the full implications of the problem with schools NOR, we sold our large, new, 2-storey house with pool and ocean views that took 2.5 years to build and bought a semi-derelict wreck in an expensive suburb.

That turned out to be a great move for us all, and not just for the schools. We ended up moving back to the UK before the kids reached high school age anyway, but we discovered that the old suburbs of Perth are the best. I'd recommend that kind of move to anyone worried about schools, and to anyone struggling with soulless, treeless suburbs.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catch
But were those words of advice from parents who had actually sent their kids to those schools or just word of mouth parents? Did the guy from the education department have children who attended Clarkson?

As I said, my children go there and are doing well. My daughter is in year 10 in a gifted stream and is currently top of her class. She has lovely friends, doesn't do drugs, drink, sleep around, get in fights or any of the other negative stereotypes that go along with the school.

My son is not as good a student but is getting all the help and guidance we could have hoped for. We talk regularly with his care group teacher and his year 8 coordinator who both are going out of their way to ensure he gets the best educational experience he can. We knew our son would not be as good a student as our daughter even though he is just as intelligent. He was diagnosed when he was 7 with Tourrette's spectrum disorder and displays a lot of the behaviour problems that go along with the diagnosis. However, the staff at Clarkson have been really great for him.

It just bugs the shit out of me that people who have no first hand knowledge of a place would have so many negative opinions. Clarkson (suburb and school) is NOT filled with uneducated bogans. As a matter of fact, from what I've seen it's filled with British immigrants.

Last edited by Dorothy; Mar 10th 2009 at 9:01 am.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

As a matter of fact, from what I've seen it's filled with British immigrants. Maybe it's their kids who're bringing Clarkson school down.
This is something that I've often thought about.

Certainly according to house prices, Clarkson is a lower socio-economic area (that I think is also anglo-dominated) and normally (but not always) the behaviour of kids and their achievement are both lower in this type of area.

Contrast that with the Chinese work ethic and affluence which dominates school such as Willeton, Rossmoyne and Applecross (particularly the latter two)

Last edited by NKSK version 2; Mar 10th 2009 at 9:49 am.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:46 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

But were those words of advice from parents who had actually sent their kids to those schools or just word of mouth parents? Did the guy from the education department have children who attended Clarkson?

As I said, my children go there and are doing well. My daughter is in year 10 in a gifted stream and is currently top of her class. She has lovely friends, doesn't do drugs, drink, sleep around, get in fights or any of the other negative stereotypes that go along with the school.

My son is not as good a student but is getting all the help and guidance we could have hoped for. We talk regularly with his care group teacher and his year 8 coordinator who both are going out of their way to ensure he gets the best educational experience he can. We knew our son would not be as good a student as our daughter even though he is just as intelligent. He was diagnosed when he was 7 with Tourrette's spectrum disorder and displays a lot of the behaviour problems that go along with the diagnosis. However, the staff at Clarkson have been really great for him.

It just bugs the shit out of me that people who have no first hand knowledge of a place would have so many negative opinions. Clarkson (suburb and school) is NOT filled with uneducated bogans. As a matter of fact, from what I've seen it's filled with British immigrants.
the advice was from police,and from an official from the education board.Not saying every school is perfect,but we felt better looking elsewhere
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

As a matter of fact, from what I've seen it's filled with British immigrants. Maybe it's their kids who're bringing Clarkson school down.

(I see that the final sentence has now been edited out.) Although this may be the case it seems odd that this effect is not being felt by the other schools in the area which also draw from the same British immigrant community.

My concerns with Clarkson are more based on the fact that, at the time of the last annual report, of those in Year8, 42% were close to or below the benchmark for numeracy and 44% close to or below the benchmark for reading. The benchmark being the [B]bare minimum [B] achievement required for students to experience academic success in secondary school.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:47 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Dorothy ...

It doesn't matter two squats what I, nor anyone says ...

If you feel your children are being well educated at CSH, then that's all that matters ... ignore those, including myself, who would prefer to send their children elsewhere.

It's about the individual and their perceptions ... you have first hand experience and that is the best.

We won't be sending our boys there but that's our call ...

I'm glad you're happy, it may help others who are indifferent or worried regarding their options.

I don't mean this to sound condescending or smug ... honest

Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by julesandco
I don't understand why you feel guilty about this. The school system is different here. They start later and the 'push' isn't as academic.
Yes, I know back in the UK he'd have been in full time school ages ago, but I don't see as it makes a great deal of difference unless I was going back to England and compare his educational levels with old friends.

Jules x
Don't be fooled by the Australian (and a few on here also) propaganda that "it's not worse or better it's just different..."

"A report on Australian education performance also calls for more to be spent on early childhood education, noting the nation "lags far behind" other Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development countries.Recommending a shake-up of the early childhood education sector, the report says Australians had traditionally viewed childcare as a tool to support employment rather than as part of the education system.

The report says spending and enrolments lagged well behind OECD averages. Only 42 per cent of children aged three and four enrolled in pre-primary programs in 2006, compared with the OECD average of 70 per cent and more than 90 per cent in countries such as New Zealand and France.
"

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...013404,00.html
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:35 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

That would be a factor for me too C, but having to get up early on a Sunday is even worse. I love M, but not that much!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.