Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Primary School Years

Primary School Years

Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nice
Default Re: Primary School Years

Originally Posted by brisbanebound
Am I right in thinking the school years are different in Scotland to England anyway
yes i think so but they are the same ages and same years it is just that oz catchment date is 1st july (well i think so)and here it is beg feb is the catchment age
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Littleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really niceLittleuns is just really nice

The school years are the same but like the discussion above the cut off's for entry differ. Is it not the end of August for England? In Scotland it is end of March.

Reading the above it looks like our daughter will repeat the first part of year 2 commenced in Sept 08 when she enters the WA education system in Feb 09.

Thank you for all the infor.

Now the real dilemna - which school!!!!!

Kevin
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

The Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant future

from what i gather, in oz children generally start school a year later than they do here. my daughter (august birthday) is due to start reception here in sept at just turned 4. if (!!!) we get out there, she would only be due to start pre-school in feb.
it all depends on a childs birthdays as their school year goes jan/feb- dec, while here it is sept-aug.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

wendijohna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Craig822
Stumpy/Littleuns

Please find a link below that should make it a little clearer:

http://www.connollyps.det.wa.edu.au/...of%20Child.pdf

The dates are for 2008 so just add a year for 2009 if necessary! Ours are starting in February; our 9 year old (b:15 Sep 99) is in Year 4 and our 5 year old (b:9 Oct 03) in Pre-Primary. This equates to their current school but our 9 year old will end up repeating the first 4 months of Y4.

Hope this helps

Im gona a join in too as im well confused, looking at the link if you change it to 2009 then the yr groups would move up a yr. For example my son is 5 31/05/2003, looking at this link he would start pre primary in 2008 so to change the date to 2009 he would start yr 1 in feb..is that correct...

its so bloody easy to make something simple the most complex thing ever..

no doubt we will laugh at this when we are all there and settled..
wendy
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

yeah thats what i'm thinking!

How difficult can it be

I'm sure we'll all get told when we go to enrol our kids! I think i'm maybe going to wait until i'm there anyway. I'd rather see for myself and let the kids see where they'll be going and maybe give them a choice........then again maybe not! kids and choice don't go together do they!????!!!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

true, all that sun and sea im sure i would rather not be at school
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It's as complex as can be and it all depends on which state you are in as well - we dont even have a national uniformity about starting ages (or finishing ages for that matter!)

Dont think of it as "repeating" or "staying back", basically this is a whole new system and learning different things. If you are concerned that they will be doing the same thing again then they wont because the emphasis here is on different things and if you are wanting the same "reading level" or "maths level" as they were in UK then you would be looking at at least one if not two years above their chronological ages here. Ideally, kids need to be with their age cohort and that is where most schools will place them. Occasionally if their birthdates are close to the cut off then you have a choice of putting them in a class where they are the youngest or one where they are the oldest.

This gives a good overview of the national situation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia (scroll to the bottom)
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

thats good to kno thanks..whole point for me moving is so my children can be children i sometimes think there is too much emphasis on academic achievement..
plenty of time for that x
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Put your kids in any year you want (within reason), the schools are flexible and we had the choice of putting our son in Year 10 or 11.
Forget the stuffy uptight English schools, it's a lot easier going here :-)