Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Present at Landlords final inspection?

Present at Landlords final inspection?

Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Present at Landlords final inspection?

We are moving house and have handed in our notice to the landlord (agents) who have said they will do a final inspection of the property after we vacate the premises.
Should we request to be present at this inspection? We've heard some real horror stories about what they can try and do to keep your bond and we really need our bond back.
In the last 3 & 1/2 years the agents have always reported that they are very happy and that we have kept the house immaculate so i am probably worried about nothing We haven't damaged the property in any way but it is pretty old so things do wear out.

Last edited by AlliF; Jul 8th 2010 at 11:39 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future
Default Re: Present at Landlords final inspection?

You could try but they mightn't agree. Just make sure the place is as immaculate as you can make it. I've moved out of two rental properties since we arrived, haven't been at the inspections either times and haven't had any problems at all. We did have to pay a small amount for them to get the oven cleaned after we moved out of our last place but that was pure laziness on my part and I was quite happy to pay for someone to do it to be honest!!

If they do have any quibbles, you should be entitled to go back and try and fix what's broken/dirty etc.. anyway before they take money from your bond.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

peggy76 is on a distinguished road

We have rented two properties in the past and on both occasions i was there for the final inspection. The first house the agent wouldnt have had a leg to stand on as we left the property in better condition than we got it, so the agent was all smiles anyway. The second property i advised to take a duster with me just in case ( Cheeky ) But i did get asked to come back and straighten the edges of the lawn. They gave me a week to get this done but only took ten mins. I would advise you to be there, just so that if they feel the need to call you up on something you may be able to do it there and then. It just gets it out the way for your piece of mind. Hope this helps
Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou both for your replies.
I think I will speak to the agents and ask if i can be there and just see what they say. If they are dead set against it then fair enough. im going to take pictures anyway.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 1:21 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I would insist on being there.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps a small box of Quality Street but for heaven's sake don't go over the top . . .
Old Jul 10th 2010, 1:44 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

That was bad.

Just checked my facts with the mister before I said this, as he did our handover the other week because I never want to see that house again.

Apart from your own peace of mind that they're not going to stitch you up, both tenant and landlord need to sign the bond document that prompts your money to be released - in NSW at least.

If the agents are, as you say, dead set against it, all the more reason to insist.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I have insisted that they meet me here to get the keys back and have an inspection. They said no and it took several e-mails but they have finally given in and will meet me here. I am also going to have a friend with me who is a local estate agent as a witness. Sounds a lot but our agent is an agressive, horrid woman.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spartacus
Perhaps a small box of Quality Street but for heaven's sake don't go over the top . . .
Eh??

I have just seen the agents have put our property on the for rent list today and they have increased the rent by $100+ pw!! Personally I think they are asking over the odds as it is like an ice-box in here even with the heating on ful blast (we rented it in the middle of the summer so did not know this til it was too late - we now sit in the living room with blankets wrapped round us), and the general decor is circa 1970's. Will be interested to see how long it takes to go.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kingseat
I have insisted that they meet me here to get the keys back and have an inspection. They said no and it took several e-mails but they have finally given in and will meet me here. I am also going to have a friend with me who is a local estate agent as a witness. Sounds a lot but our agent is an agressive, horrid woman.
I'm glad you're going to be there and have a witness. Let us know how it goes.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spartacus
Aha I just got it - brain was fuddled from way too much vino last night (my excuse and i'm sticking to it). Very funny Spartacus.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Thankyou both for your replies.
I think I will speak to the agents and ask if i can be there and just see what they say. If they are dead set against it then fair enough. im going to take pictures anyway.
In our first rental they wanted to do this and I refused. I put it in writing that if they inspected after I had vacated then I would not be liable for any problems that they discovered because there was no proof that damage had not occurred after I left.

They soon changed their mind about the inspection timing - albeit with lots of moaning and whinging.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Eh??

I have just seen the agents have put our property on the for rent list today and they have increased the rent by $100+ pw!! Personally I think they are asking over the odds as it is like an ice-box in here even with the heating on ful blast (we rented it in the middle of the summer so did not know this til it was too late - we now sit in the living room with blankets wrapped round us), and the general decor is circa 1970's. Will be interested to see how long it takes to go.
In my experience all Australian houses (certainy in Perth) are the same.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seasider
Apart from your own peace of mind that they're not going to stitch you up, both tenant and landlord need to sign the bond document that prompts your money to be released - in NSW at least.
You don't need to sign the form as a tenant if they are returning your entire bond, I've had my bond returned in full both times I've rented in Sydney and haven't signed a bond release form.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

DMCQLD is an unknown quantity at this point

We are moving house and have handed in our notice to the landlord (agents) who have said they will do a final inspection of the property after we vacate the premises.
Should we request to be present at this inspection? We've heard some real horror stories about what they can try and do to keep your bond and we really need our bond back.
In the last 3 & 1/2 years the agents have always reported that they are very happy and that we have kept the house immaculate so i am probably worried about nothing We haven't damaged the property in any way but it is pretty old so things do wear out.
If you have the the time request to be there for sure. We had a bad situation once where the landlord's agent bust the overhead extractor on the oven while we not their at the inspection. They then threatened to claim back the bond for themselves to repair unless we got it fixed.
It was easily resolved. We beat them to the residential tenancy authority and put in our claim for the bond against them first. This meant they had to justify witholding the bond in any hearing.
Simultaneously, I informed the agent that we had videoed all the areas including the cooktops etc which proved all was hunky dory when we left (which it was). And that she ought to be careful as she may have to report criminal damage to the police after we had relinquished responsibility of the home to the agent.
Let's just say that whether I had video evidence or not we got our bond back quick smart

Another good tip is to throughly go through the landlord's/ agent's entry report on taking up a property and give the place the white glove treatment from the off and write down every little thing you notice including dirt and dust not noted on the report and keep your copy in a safe place AFTER the agent has signed and/or committed to rectify or forgo when it comes to exit report time!

After dealing with agents quite a few times, I'm so glad to have my own gaff now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.