Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Practising Law in Australia

Practising Law in Australia

Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

El Supremo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Practising Law in Australia

Further to the other thread that I started in the Canada sub-forum Australia and/or New Zealand would be my second choice to practice (i.e. if Canada was too hard to get into). Unlike Canada, I really have no idea what is needed to qualify in Australia. Again I have completed the LLB as well as the LPC. Can you guys advise on what is needed to qualify in Oz/New Zealand? How difficult is it and how long does it take?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

auds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Practising Law in Australia

It really depends on your individual circumstances.

If you do a search theres a good thread in the Immi forum called 'how to requalify as a solicitor in Australia' or something along those lines. It has lots of useful info for Oz.

In a nutshell, you firstly need to decide which state you want to practice in and then contact the body that assesses your qualifications in that state - you send them all your info and they will then tell you what additional subjects you need to study in order to be admitted.

It sounds from you post that you have not actually practiced law yet - that will make it more difficult for you if thats the case - they will most likely ask you to redo the PLC in Australia as well as studying undergraduate law subjects to bring your LLB in line with the Australian LLB.

You can get work here as a lawyer without doing the requalification process but if you intend to stay long term I think its better to requalify - even though its a expensive and time consuming - in the long run your job prospects will be better.

good luck
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by El Supremo
Further to the other thread that I started in the Canada sub-forum Australia and/or New Zealand would be my second choice to practice (i.e. if Canada was too hard to get into). Unlike Canada, I really have no idea what is needed to qualify in Australia. Again I have completed the LLB as well as the LPC. Can you guys advise on what is needed to qualify in Oz/New Zealand? How difficult is it and how long does it take?
I can't help you with the details because the procedures have changed since I requalified in Australia.

The big picture is that each state in Australia has its own admissions authority but, since 2008, they have applied universal rules for the assessment of overseas applicants for admission.

A good place to start is the website of the Legal Profession Admission Board for NSW as it is very comprehensive and easy to follow:

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlin...b_overseasprac
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:17 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Supremo
I had a little look at this a while ago as I have been considering changing my programme to Law. The LLB is recognised but you need to register in the state that you want to practice, all the states have different requirements.