Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Power points in bathrooms

Power points in bathrooms

Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:39 am
Merlot

Default Re: Power points in bathrooms

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
We are currently building (at roof stage) so you aren't going to get more current than that, we werent allowed to place any power points within 1.8 metres of anything where water is involved. (taps, sinks baths and showers) So when you consider any average sized bathroom, that counts out most areas of that room, ats those things are spread out round that room. We left a new house in England, all three bathrooms and an en-suite had shaver plug sockets in there, surely there is no difference. Its as easy to drop a shaver in a sink as a hairdryer. (if you are daft enough to shave or dry your hair within range of something full of water)
Thanks for that piece of advice, my Dad is a builder in the UK as well as his cousin in Victoria so we have chatted through this one before. Though I had worked that one out for myself

I had guessed the UK bathrooms were smaller, hence no sockets. As for chucking the hairdryer in the bath whilst I was in, I think I might be daft enough to try that one today, what the hell!

Pass me the extension lead . . .

M

Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

My hubby can't understand why we don't have them in the UK, we wants his stereo in there
Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:05 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by pako
My hubby can't understand why we don't have them in the UK, we wants his stereo in there
Do what I do and blast the neighbours from our spare room.

M

Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
Yet you would all have had power points within inches of your kitchen sink (how dangerous!) in the UK, and not batted an eyelid.
But you don't normally stand in water in the kitchen! Reaching from the shower or bath to a switch with wet hands is the problem.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Originally Posted by lesleys
But you don't normally stand in water in the kitchen! Reaching from the shower or bath to a switch with wet hands is the problem.
That's a very good point
Old Jun 11th 2005, 10:26 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

But seriously this TV was 3 or so inches from the edge of the bath :scared:
Old Jun 11th 2005, 2:08 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

We are currently building (at roof stage) so you aren't going to get more current than that, we werent allowed to place any power points within 1.8 metres of anything where water is involved. (taps, sinks baths and showers)
And we are renovating right now & have just put power point in our new bathroom & in our laundry (how do you plug a washing machine in if you cant have it less than 1.8m from either the taps or the laundry tub? ).

Maybe WA is different, but in Qld the plug needs to be 30cms away from memory? I'd go & measure, but I cant be bothered .

Originally Posted by lesleys
Originally Posted by fraser
Its called "natural selection"!!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
And we are renovating right now & have just put power point in our new bathroom & in our laundry (how do you plug a washing machine in if you cant have it less than 1.8m from either the taps or the laundry tub? ).

Maybe WA is different, but in Qld the plug needs to be 30cms away from memory? I'd go & measure, but I cant be bothered .

Its called "natural selection"!!
Can't be sure of the exact rule now, but WA has generally been 500mm.

All houses have been fitted with RCD protective circuit breakers (WA & UK) for quite a few years, so risk is much reduced.

UK shaver sockets are isolated from mains I believe, but not suitable for hair dryers or tellys .
Old Jun 11th 2005, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I had this really unbelievable sharp blade next to my face this morning. It seriously could have killed me. But jeez I dunno how, I survived.

Crapping myself now, gotta put the sharp metal next to my face tomorrow too.

If you don't hear from me again....

JTL
Old Jun 11th 2005, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I find the light switches the most worrying, after being used to the UK having light pully switches in the bathroom. I find I have to dry my hands really thoroughly before I have the confidence to switch the light off. DH thinks I am paranoid, I think I am being sensible. Ummmmmmm.

Katie
Old Jun 11th 2005, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I find the light switches the most worrying, after being used to the UK having light pully switches in the bathroom. I find I have to dry my hands really thoroughly before I have the confidence to switch the light off. DH thinks I am paranoid, I think I am being sensible. Ummmmmmm.

Katie
Flicking a switch with wet hands does not mean instant death - despite what your mother may have told you. There would have to be faulty electrics to start with.

I've flicked the odd switch with wet hands (more often in the kitchen than in the bathroom) and I'm still here.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 4:05 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

We are currently building, and the electric board wouldnt let us put any plugs anywhere near the bath, there is a specific distance from all water that these points can be sited, so there are strong and stringent regulations.

p.s West Ham are only back for a season.
Our rental here in Perth has a 240v outlet right behind the sink in the bathroom. We're forever splashing it. I've taped a piece of card over it, as I'm sure it'll pop one day!!!!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 4:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
That is a point, I think my fear when I first got to see an Australian bathroom was the visions of my other half pluging in my hairdryer and chucking it into the bath I was in.
You have a loving, caring relationship with your hubby then, obviously
Old Jun 11th 2005, 4:31 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

But remember poms dont wash much anyhoo so no wukkers
Old Jun 11th 2005, 5:32 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I was miffed in the UK cause we only had a shaver point in our ensuite, not enough for my dryer. I got over to Aus and complained about the safety of having full plugs in my bathroom!!! (I admit I am a whinger)

I have been in my house two years here, I now dry my hair, recharge my camara, phone etc and not killed myself once but I have a waterproof battery radio in the shower, cause I cannot hear it otherwise Water pressure too good.

If we are going to get crabby about electrics in either country....why don't building regulations insist we have smoke alarms for every room for - all rented, new built, existing houses - that might save a few more lives than the one in 20 million idiot trying to do themselves in with electrics in the bathroom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.