Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

POSSIBLY CONSIDERING OZ... ?

POSSIBLY CONSIDERING OZ... ?

Old Oct 1st 2011, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold
Default POSSIBLY CONSIDERING OZ... ?

Well it's been so long since I've last been on here, but most of the same names keep popping up, so it's nice to see people still come on here even once their emigration plans have reached fruition :-)

I've posted a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng thread in the Canada forum ("Revisiting the Idea of Emigrating" - or something like that anyway - it's Saturday night and I've had a glass of wine ) to explain what's going on with us at the moment.

For anyone who didn't know me from my MPNP-2008 days, I'm Anita, married (still), with 3 kids (yup, 2 more!) and am still living in Northants. Still a housewife, but Sean is working in a different sector of IT now (he was a Sys Admin, is now a Pen Tester / Security Consultant).

In some ways I wish there was more wrong with my life so that the decision or whether or not to emigrate would be easier; if we were struggling to make ends meet and lived in a less-than-savoury area with chavs galore, it would be so easy to say "things can't get any worse abroad - let's do it", but as it stands we have a beautiful, brand new house opposite a field of cows (although there will eventually be 700 houses on it! ), my mother-in-law lives down the road and helps out a lot with the kids, my mum helps with my shopping on a Monday and I have a nice network of friends (not many, but quality is more important than quantity...). Thankfully (and I'm touching wood as I say this) the only way in which the recession has hit us is that our bills have gone up (groceries, petrol (mine - Sean's is paid for by his company), utilities, insurance policies, etc.). My husband's line of work is such that (again, touching wood...) it shouldn't be affected by any cutbacks, and he really enjoys his new job (been there since Feb), and they've just opened an office in New York....

The reasons I want to leave are that I don't feel this is the optimal place in which to raise my three children. I don't agree with a lot of the politics in this country (indeed, I can frequently be heard yelling at the radio, as my neighbours can surely attest ), I'm fed up with all the immigrants forcing us to build on our 'green and pleasant land' (sorry if that's politically incorrect, I couldn't really give a damn), I'm fed up with the way in which we bow to Europe and do anything they tell us (other countries stick their finger up and say no), I'm worried about how this whole Eurozone financial catastrophe waiting to happen will affect us (and our pensions, and my parents' pensions / investments, etc. which will eventually be my (and thus ultimately my children's) inheritance...), and if Sean gets his CREST certification (it's an important IT exam for security), he may well end up with a ridiculously large wage (well, in our eyes anyway - probably peanuts to some of the guys on here) I'm disgusted that half of it will go on tax (he'll pay more than he currently earns in tax), and no other country in the world (at least none of those to where we've considered emigrating) imposes such high tax penalties on its citizens. Yes I know, we should be lucky that we may end up in the highest tax bracket one day, and yes I suppose those on a paltry wage shouldn't really pay any tax, but when you have children you become selfish on their behalf and everything you do you do for them, and that includes wanting to work hard (and not be penalised for it) so that you can earn lots of money to put away for their inheritance (or to help out with their first home, etc.). And I'm sure I'm not the only one. My husband has worked damn hard to get all his qualifications, and in his line of work he will be studying for the rest of his working life (or at least, as long as people are still trying to hack into companies, commit fraud, etc. which will probably be the same thing). He may as well have gotten a factory job if he's going to be punished for doing well.

Ok, rant over. Must shut up now or my thread will be deleted for being too boring

Anyone with anything interesting to say on our situation, please go ahead (and yes, criticisms welcome - just be prepared for me to throw them back at you cos I'm very sensitive )
Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POSSIBLY CONSIDERING OZ... ?

If that is your reason for emmigrating, then I think you are better off staying put, considering your circumstances. If politics gets to you then it is likely to wherever you live and indeed they seem a particularly odd bunch here (all parties).

Also, guess what, we pay tax in Australia too. I haven't done a proper calc for a while but I might just do that now. Last time I checked for most people it works out pretty much the same (UK vs Australia).

Edit: just used a couple of quick tax calculators and I average 36% in both Australia and UK (on similar salaries). Try these out:

http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Oct 1st 2011 at 10:39 pm. Reason: Edit: updated for tax
Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If that is your reason for emmigrating, then I think you are better off staying put, considering your circumstances. If politics gets to you then it is likely to wherever you live and indeed they seem a particularly odd bunch here (all parties).

Also, guess what, we pay tax in Australia too. I haven't done a proper calc for a while but I might just do that now. Last time I checked for most people it works out pretty much the same (UK vs Australia).
...to say nothing of the houses being built on the brown and pleasant land of Aus to house all the new immigrants
Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Two things strike me straight away about your thread. Not meaning to shoot you down or anything. I think you'll find that as a percentage Australia has far more migrants or overseas born people as part of the base population and is having to build really large extended Cities to cope. There is real controversy re the Green belt around Melbourne at present as it is now being acquired for much needed housing... and that was never meant to happen.

Secondly... I think you'll find the income tax rate isn't too different here... certainly not a lot lower. One major difference will be at 111,000 dollars joint income your child benefits cut out for two kids. Which if you think about it, is a hidden form of tax.... Child benefits are not income tested (Currently) in the UK AFAIK... I stand to be corrected on that though. Not sure of the UK tax system after 30 years here. A lot of State Taxes here. That Child benefit cut off point really affects the wife and I and means doing overtime is almost pointless. In fact we would have a much higher per hour take home income if we both worked Part time.

So the two factors you have concentrated on in your post... could actually be worse here.

I'm one of the posters on here that usually praises Aus.

I do believe that Aus has a much brighter future than anywhere in Europe though... So your kids will benefit from a far more positive outlook from the majority of the population. The Aus population as a whole is generally far more upbeat about the future than those in the UK. Having a positive environment as a reason for migrating, is seriously underestimated in my view. In fact a lot of Migrants really hate the "She'll be right mate" Tude... which Aussies see as positive and optomistc, which UK people misconstrue as lackadaisical. Takes years to get over the negative conditioning of the UK apparently.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 1st 2011 at 10:55 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by seanyg
Snip> In some ways I wish there was more wrong with my life.........The reasons I want to leave are that I don't feel this is the optimal place in which to raise my three children<Snip
Hi Anita, The reasons you give for giving another country a go may be the very reason why it could work for you, but a sounds like a lot of thought may be needed before your decision is made.

You are considering going to a foreign country. Australia is not the country for everyone and a lot of the things that niggle you now may be as bad here plus you would be in a country with a different culture and reality may be it is worse for you financially (it certainly costs to relocate) let alone leaving the house that you are so proud of. Australia is also very large with a variety of climates and cultural differences, depending which state you are looking at you could have a beach or country or inner city life but they all will be different from your experience now.

I would not change my Aussie childrens childhood but that doesnt mean everyone thinks the same. They grew up with the beach at their fingertips and they have all become wonderful adults who I am extremely proud of. Mine had to do their travelling when they grew up and then took the opportunity for world travel. They were able to able to go to the UK and access the rest of Europe and the Americas but from here it is always just about a days journey.

I think your children are lucky to have you thinking so hard about their future, and as part of that your whole family has to be happy about the decision. It sounds as if a lot of research is needed about the country you ultimately decide to apply to and whether your needs will be met by leaving your birth country.

A list of pros and cons may help too, you have obviously looked into leaving the UK before but found reasons to stay, and those reasons may still be compelling.

I think if you had an idea about which city or even state we could give you more links, and of course the DIAC website could be a good starting point to see if you are eligible for a visa.

Hope it helps a little
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Two things strike me straight away about your thread. Not meaning to shoot you down or anything. I think you'll find that as a percentage Australia has far more migrants or overseas born people as part of the base population and is having to build really large extended Cities to cope. There is real controversy re the Green belt around Melbourne at present as it is now being acquired for much needed housing... and that was never meant to happen.

Secondly... I think you'll find the income tax rate isn't too different here... certainly not a lot lower. One major difference will be at 111,000 dollars joint income your child benefits cut out for two kids. Which if you think about it, is a hidden form of tax.... Child benefits are not income tested (Currently) in the UK AFAIK... I stand to be corrected on that though. Not sure of the UK tax system after 30 years here. A lot of State Taxes here. That Child benefit cut off point really affects the wife and I and means doing overtime is almost pointless. In fact we would have a much higher per hour take home income if we both worked Part time.

So the two factors you have concentrated on in your post... could actually be worse here.

I'm one of the posters on here that usually praises Aus.

I do believe that Aus has a much brighter future than anywhere in Europe though... So your kids will benefit from a far more positive outlook from the majority of the population. The Aus population as a whole is generally far more upbeat about the future than those in the UK. Having a positive environment as a reason for migrating, is seriously underestimated in my view. In fact a lot of Migrants really hate the "She'll be right mate" Tude... which Aussies see as positive and optomistc, which UK people misconstrue as lackadaisical. Takes years to get over the negative conditioning of the UK apparently.

FYI I LOVE the "She'll be right mate tude" I think it was my probably my family motto when we invaded England along with Norman Conquest in 1066...

But my advice..

Dont immigrate.

Sounds like you have it good

If you did You'll become "one of those bloody immigrants" that people complain about... And they do, I've been called a stinking Pom by a Registered Nurse ffs.. And on the radio I've heard..."Thank God not a nother bloody pommie accent" on phone ins....

You WILL be taxed

you Will miss all that support you're getting from Your family.

And you may find it hard for your well paid husband to find work here and so find yourself a bit on the thin side financially

Why bother?

(jeez, is eddie007 REALLY saying dont immigrate?, I cant quite believe that! Some one must have hacked my account.... Hey mods.... Check me out will you... This REALLY aint me)
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
I'm disgusted that half of it will go on tax (he'll pay more than he currently earns in tax), and no other country in the world (at least none of those to where we've considered emigrating) imposes such high tax penalties on its citizens
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:53 am
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
Hi Anita, The reasons you give for giving another country a go may be the very reason why it could work for you, but a sounds like a lot of thought may be needed before your decision is made.

You are considering going to a foreign country. Australia is not the country for everyone and a lot of the things that niggle you now may be as bad here plus you would be in a country with a different culture and reality may be it is worse for you financially (it certainly costs to relocate) let alone leaving the house that you are so proud of. Australia is also very large with a variety of climates and cultural differences, depending which state you are looking at you could have a beach or country or inner city life but they all will be different from your experience now.

I would not change my Aussie childrens childhood but that doesnt mean everyone thinks the same. They grew up with the beach at their fingertips and they have all become wonderful adults who I am extremely proud of. Mine had to do their travelling when they grew up and then took the opportunity for world travel. They were able to able to go to the UK and access the rest of Europe and the Americas but from here it is always just about a days journey.

I think your children are lucky to have you thinking so hard about their future, and as part of that your whole family has to be happy about the decision. It sounds as if a lot of research is needed about the country you ultimately decide to apply to and whether your needs will be met by leaving your birth country.

A list of pros and cons may help too, you have obviously looked into leaving the UK before but found reasons to stay, and those reasons may still be compelling.

I think if you had an idea about which city or even state we could give you more links, and of course the DIAC website could be a good starting point to see if you are eligible for a visa.

Hope it helps a little
Anita, I concur with the view of GCM, if you decide to go to Oz you and hubby will make a success of it, that is if you have the skills and the desire. Live your dream, if you fall on your arse, buy one of the new houses the cows are currently living on, sounds like you have the resources and skills to fall back on.......Good luck.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

ExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really nice

Purely looking at tax rates, the top marginal rate in Australia comes in once you earn $180,000+ and is 46.5% (45% tax plus 1.5% medicare levy - don't forget that bit in your calculations!)

The top UK rate of 50% comes in once you earn over 150,000 pounds any less thank that and it is 40%.

Therefore you would have to be earning over the 150k in the UK before the tax argument for moving becomes effective.

On a similar rate of pay here in Australia, say $210k for example, you would also need to pay private health insurance to cover all your family otherwise you would need to pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge (an extra 1% of taxable income), In addition as someone else suggested, at that level of income, you would not be entitled to any family assistance.

Also, try googling the 'Flood levy'. This is for the 2012 year only and would not apply to you. However if taxes and politics are key to your decision making it might interest you to have a read.

The above is all financial. From my personal perspective I would say, don't do it! I love Australia but my husband and I are stuck. Here we earn good money and have a lot of the material items that we desire. In the industry we work (mining) there is no comparison in the UK and no way we could have this lifestyle. However, we don't have any family or support here which we would have in the UK which I really miss. To me, you are in the enviable position of currently having both and I don't think that is something to take lightly or to give up easily - just my opinion. Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 2:13 am
Account Closed

If you don't try, you will always think - What if?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 2:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york
...and you get a prize for the most overworked and trite cliche seen on this forum
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 2:47 am
Account Closed

Thank you Mr Grayling, i am sure the 5000km between us will not prevent me coming to collect it, by the way, when are we meeting for a beer, next tuesday down the dog and duck?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:04 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york
That may be a commonly cited idea but it's used often for a reason.

It's as good as any other reason to come to Oz.

No amount of analysis, searching the internet and talking to people will ever tell you if Oz is right for your lifestyle. Some things just have to be tried.

That doesn't mean that all the advice on here is pointless but even if someone read ALL the posts then it's not going to make an awful lot of difference to the success of the move.

Doing that would also drive you clinically insane.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:09 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Ironically I normally advise to give it a go but in your case you've got a great support network family wise which with young kids is vital. I think you'd miss this as emigrating can be lonely till you make friends and even then, blood is thicker than water...takes a long time to find *real* friends who you can count on just like it took years in UK...

Tax..no different here so no reason to think it's easier...

Immigrants taking over...no different here in fact you'll be one of them if you come...difference being Aus is big enough to handle the extra whereas UK is overgrown, so I get that bit.....

Housing in Aus .....expensive here and no longer the cheap advantage it was bringing UK pounds over. The older houses in UK are generally made with proper stone and quality built whereas here they are generally quickly built, single brick. Lovely and big, spacious and different, but no better than UK.....

Your husbands job...sounds like he's doing well for himself in UK. Don't be one bit surprised if he comes over here and no one gives a damn how good he is or how qualified. It's a tough market out here at the moment and plenty of highly skilled people are unable to secure jobs and that includes those with Australian experience, never mind those without. For some reason no matter how much more experience people gain in UK, the Aussies don't give a shit. The recruitment market usually prefers Aussie experience over overseas experience and this has jolted a few immigrants thinking they are highly skilled and will be valued as such. Doesn't work this way here I'm afraid....more "who you know than what you know"....

Lifestyle for the kids....yep....I think (IMHO) Aus has far,far more to offer than UK overall. Personally speaking the UK is the arse end of the world and what was once a beutiful, positive, growing country is now overgrown and bankcrupt and is so far gone it's not funny. I had a fantastic lifestyle in UK and came to Aus for no other reason to try something different and for all it's faults (and it has many including the above) - it's been the best move ever. It's been very, very hard starting again - Aus is very different - but absolutly no regrets. Having said this we came when the exchange rate was much better and there was no recession...

So......personally speaking you don't look to have a good enough reason to move other than you fancy something different. If that's what you want then do it and be prepared for things to be hard as , but like I say the exchange rate and job market aint that good here right now so think about how this will affect you guys and emmigrating is not easy, especially with small kids and no support network...

Good luck whatever you decide as this will be your decision and what's best for you and your family which is what counts at the end of the day.

All the best mate
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
...and you get a prize for the most overworked and trite cliche seen on this forum
'If you don't like it, why don't you go home?' runs a close second though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.