Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:35 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Originally Posted by DarrenDriven
Ahhh... all this beer banter has me more at ease about my stay in Australia. I've been stuck in Shanghai for a couple of months and getting decent beer here is near impossible.

Can anyone recommend a good brewery/restaurant combo in the Brisbane area? I like my beer the blacker the better. Beer+Syrup=Beerup?

I had never seen this, and I want it!
Aye, it's a good drop!

Brewery/restaurant combo in Brisbane?

I used to like The Brew House when it was in the CBD, it's moved to Wooloongabba now ... http://www.brewhouse.com.au/.

They had a little microbrewery that although wasn't the best you'd ever tasted it was at least different
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

I've drunk every kind of beer and Tooheys Extra Dry stands out.

Bit down market oh well.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:53 am
Just Joined

DarrenDriven is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops, I forgot to put my favs in.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is probably my favorite once-in-a-while beer. My favorite of all time was brewed at a chain microbrewery in the States and was called Tatonka Stout. It was black as space and thick! Mmmmm. My everyday drinker was Black Butte Porter, from a microbrewery in Oregon.

I look forward to all of the Australian-brewed beers that I will get to try soon. Everything they make in China tastes like Bud Light.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:33 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DarrenDriven
Oops, I forgot to put my favs in.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout is probably my favorite once-in-a-while beer. My favorite of all time was brewed at a chain microbrewery in the States and was called Tatonka Stout. It was black as space and thick! Mmmmm. My everyday drinker was Black Butte Porter, from a microbrewery in Oregon.

I look forward to all of the Australian-brewed beers that I will get to try soon. Everything they make in China tastes like Bud Light.
I like the chocolate stout too, especially during the cooler months ... that's another that I can get at my local bottle shop
Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

jacobmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colonel
Okay folks, here is another long-winded thread coming up !

Beer....In the UK, my favourite lager is Corona, Cobra and Stella. However, in Perth, WA, I notice that a case of Corona in Coles is $50 !

I hate "cooking lager" brands such as fosters, carling etc. I am yet to taste VB but if it is anything like XXXX, then I think I will leave that one !

I love real ale which I know is a rarity in Australia...so what are the options ?

Homebrew is an option however, I want something enjoyable !

(PS....I also have a love for Wine so should survive !)
My favourites are corona and carling
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:37 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacobmartin
My favourites are corona and carling
Well you won't find carling very easily over here. Corona can be bought everywhere though, if that's what you're into. Usually $50 per carton (24bottles).

Just as rough guideline, these are the kind of price points you are looking at when you go beer shopping in a place like dan murphys...

$30 - light / midstrength beers . Also some cheap & nasty beers.
$40 - standard price for a carton of average domestic beer.
$50 - domestic beers that are a little (but not always) nicer than standard. And some imported beers.
$60 - "premium" domestic beers.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:40 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

While I'm on the beer thread...

I have always enjoyed coopers pale ale, but lately (and I don't know why) I'm starting to enjoy it less and less. Yet I am still enjoying VB.

This is a little concerning for me.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I can't think of a decent beer that comes out of the UK.
London Pride? Golden Pride? Wasn't the Badger Brewery UK based thay made Tanglefoot. Anything from the Hogsback brewery too/
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:58 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
London Pride? Golden Pride? Wasn't the Badger Brewery UK based thay made Tanglefoot. Anything from the Hogsback brewery too/
Don't bother....that was just one of his shit stirring posts
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
I've drunk every kind of beer and Tooheys Extra Dry stands out.

Bit down market oh well.
http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/48807 Tooheys Wallabies t-shirt for $10.

England cap, Wallabies t-shirt, now for something Irish.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
Don't bother....that was just one of his shit stirring posts
Oh ok. I liked British beer and thought I was going to struggle here. I remember the first time I asked for Fosters I was told to XXXX off. Speaking of XXXX I quite like XXXX Gold. As the man in the bottle shop said to me, "it's ok, only the first stubby tastes rough" And there are plenty of worse ones. Great Northern, f**k me gently, drinkable once chilled to -5. I poured the other 5 bottles down the sink.

Ones I like...

Coopers - very nice but for me there's something in it that gives me a mother of a hangover, even after 3 beers.

Little Creatures - Very nice, Bright Ale and Pilsner. I want to try the Rogers.

James Squires - Again variety, taste, win.

Fear not new poms.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
All shite
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:26 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

All shite
Boags any good? I have a beer about 3 times a year if and when the temp struggles past 35C.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

All shite
What's the matter Lagerboy, afraid you might taste something?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:42 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Boags any good? I have a beer about 3 times a year if and when the temp struggles past 35C.
I have a beer approx 3 times per day, regardless of the temperature outside.

There are a fair few varieties of Boags available now. I can only comment on 2:

Boags draught: 4.5/10 reminds me a little bit too much of xxxx bitter.
Boags premium: 6/10 not bad, but it tastes fairly strong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.