Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:35 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Originally Posted by cresta57
Duvel & Lucifer are akin to Cask ales like Theakston's Old Peculiar Bateman's Salem or Adnam's Broadside. Any mass produced swilling beer is crap in comparison whether it's Dutch, German British or Australian. It's hardly comparing like for like
My current favourites are Little Creatures Pale Ale, Fat Yak Pale Ale & a rather nice New Zealand Pear Cider by Monteith, very refreshing as a sundowner after work
Oh yeh, I forgot the Fat Yak, that's nice ...
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:36 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I'll send you a photo of the ex-wife if ya like
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Yes it's fat Yak for me every Wednesday night in the Last drop.

keel
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:28 pm
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Coopers Sparkling Ale red label 6.3%
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Brew you own

www.thebeerfactory.com.au

Around 200 flavours to choose from

Stu
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:13 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Brew you own

www.thebeerfactory.com.au

Around 200 flavours to choose from

Stu
Tried a similar company called "brew brothers" a few years back. 4 of us put some $$$ together. For $120 we got 6 cartons of pretty tasty beer.... though you will always have that "essence of homebrew" with these kind of places, it just can't be avoided.

disadvantages : You've got to provide your own bottles. You've got to store it in the fridge afterwards... but the biggest one, you've got to bottle the beers yourself. This is a major pain in the back side.

advantages : if you have a friend who knows the owner, you can sit there all day and just drink their beer.

This concept of brewing your own beer at someone else's premises, is a nice option to have... but it is fairly hard work and not really that cheap either... hence it hasn't really taken off.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by asprilla
Tried a similar company called "brew brothers" a few years back. 4 of us put some $$$ together. For $120 we got 6 cartons of pretty tasty beer.... though you will always have that "essence of homebrew" with these kind of places, it just can't be avoided.

disadvantages : You've got to provide your own bottles. You've got to store it in the fridge afterwards... but the biggest one, you've got to bottle the beers yourself. This is a major pain in the back side.

advantages : if you have a friend who knows the owner, you can sit there all day and just drink their beer.

This concept of brewing your own beer at someone else's premises, is a nice option to have... but it is fairly hard work and not really that cheap either... hence it hasn't really taken off.

You only buy the bottles once.
After that the beer is approx half price.
we pay around $1 a bottle.
You think that spending 1 hour with your mates on a Sat morning drinking beer whilst you bottle it is hard work ?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:40 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

You think that spending 1 hour with your mates on a Sat morning drinking beer whilst you bottle it is hard work ?
It depends.... you've got to travel down there, do the bottling, travel back etc. You're really looking at using up your saturday morning for this.

Look, I enjoy the drinking part. I'm not arguing there. It's just the other parts that aren't so great !

I guess that for some people it works, for some it doesn't.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:04 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I've read about these places before & a mate did get me to invest once in a trial of some U.K type bitter, it wasn't to bad actually. I think we got about 6 cartons of stubbies for $150
As the price of some of the Squires & Coopers range is rapidly reaching $20 a 6 pack $1 a stubbie seems like a reasonable price.
When my folks lived here we brewed vast amounts of homebrew. It kept my dad busy with fermenting, drinking, bottling, drinking, cleaning & drinking I simply don't have the time to do my own anymore
I do have vast amounts of sterilised tallies & stubbies still though If I lived closer to one it's an enjoyable way to spend a Saturday morning once a month
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:09 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
though you will always have that "essence of homebrew" with these kind of places, it just can't be avoided.

I have brewed my own beer from grain for over 30 years....it is identical to, or better than, commercially brewed beer.

I am not sure what you mean by "essence of homebrew"?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:17 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The Germans, Czechs, Belgians, Dutch know how to do it. Brits have not got a clue.
bollocks
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The Germans, Czechs, Belgians, Dutch know how to do it. Brits have not got a clue.
Originally Posted by elfman
bollocks
I second your "bollocks" and raise it with a "bullshit"
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:39 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I raise your bollocks and ask you to cough.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:43 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
He is South African, we need to make certain allowances for his limited knowledge of great tasting beers. After all SAB did give us such palatable delights as Pilsner Urquell or Castle Lager. Anyone raised on drinking either of those is going to think German or Belgian Beer is the dogs danglies I'm not sure they are even a step up from Fourex maybe more of a sideways shuffle towards Fosters Poor lad
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:44 pm
Account Open

Originally Posted by Grayling

I have brewed my own beer from grain for over 30 years....it is identical to, or better than, commercially brewed beer.

I am not sure what you mean by "essence of homebrew"?
Just my experiences to date. I reckon that I could tell the difference between a home brew & a retail beer, in a blind taste test. Hard to define exactly what that "essence" is, but it is all in the flavour....

Of course I could be completely wrong and merely imagining this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.