Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Originally Posted by colonel
Okay folks, here is another long-winded thread coming up !

Beer....In the UK, my favourite lager is Corona, Cobra and Stella. However, in Perth, WA, I notice that a case of Corona in Coles is $50 !

I hate "cooking lager" brands such as fosters, carling etc. I am yet to taste VB but if it is anything like XXXX, then I think I will leave that one !

I love real ale which I know is a rarity in Australia...so what are the options ?

Homebrew is an option however, I want something enjoyable !

(PS....I also have a love for Wine so should survive !)
I bought it for $39 a case not long before christmas so shop around. Tesco have it for GBP13.28 for 12, so AUD42 a case - no different to here.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Try John Squires Sundown Lager, Golden Ale, Amber Ale or Porter all great brews in my opinion for about $50-55 a case and much better than most of the imported stuff (I cant stand the taste of European mainstream beers since starting to drink some of the Aussie "boutique" beers).

Little Creatures do White Rabbit which is decent as well but hard to get hold of in Bottle Shops.

Push the boat out and try some of the obscure beers you see in the bottle shop ive been highly impressed with most of the stuff coming out of some of the small breweries.

Last edited by ianhutch1; Jan 17th 2011 at 4:06 am.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:09 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Okay folks, here is another long-winded thread coming up !

Beer....In the UK, my favourite lager is Corona, Cobra and Stella. However, in Perth, WA, I notice that a case of Corona in Coles is $50 !

I hate "cooking lager" brands such as fosters, carling etc. I am yet to taste VB but if it is anything like XXXX, then I think I will leave that one !

I love real ale which I know is a rarity in Australia...so what are the options ?

Homebrew is an option however, I want something enjoyable !

(PS....I also have a love for Wine so should survive !)
real ale in Australia ? To be honest, I don't think that you have any options. If they do exist, they are likely to be very expensive options.

Best bet for you, would be to check the "international beers" section of the Dan Murphy's website.

In terms of Australian beers, I would suggest that the following 4 will give you a good intro to the type of brews on offer:

Cascade Premium
Brewed in Tasmania, apparently from the crystal clear spring water that they have down there. Quite a nice lager, with a decent bit of flavour.

VB
Australia's best selling beer. Also marketed as "the best cold beer". Whether or not it is the best cold beer is debatable. It is certainly the worst warm beer, on earth. If your image is important to you - don't drink VB. It certainly isn't fashionable and you will be labelled as a lower class citizen. Your drinking friends may shun you. If this worries you at all - stick to Corona.

Coopers Pale Ale
This one is a cloudy "ale", the sediment is not removed in the brewing process. I tend not to drink the last few gulps because of this. This beer is a bit like Perth - it's not for everyone.

Little Creatures - Bright ale
A nice example of a beer from a "boutique brewery". It has that slight essence of homebrew to it, but it is certainly a nice drink.

Last edited by asprilla; Jan 17th 2011 at 4:11 am.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice

That Harviestoun ale looks like good stuff....lol

$39 for a case of Corona looks good...This is Mrs Colonel drink of choice !
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:41 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Indeed, I can also recommend a drop or two of this imported brew ... our 'local' First Choice seems to stock it quite regularly ...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RytVxp2Jmn...gine+Oil+3.JPG
hmm, I'll be sampling that beer in the near future if I can get hold of it.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:03 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

That Harviestoun ale looks like good stuff....lol

$39 for a case of Corona looks good...This is Mrs Colonel drink of choice !
Originally Posted by asprilla
hmm, I'll be sampling that beer in the near future if I can get hold of it.
I have started firm friendships on the basis of recommending that, the others from the same brewery look good too.

We have a local brewery on the mountain, MT, and it's OK but vastly overpriced.

Hmmmm, back to the cask ...
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

[QUOTE] - stick to Corona.QUOTE]

...the bogan microphone.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:22 pm
Account Open

I have started firm friendships on the basis of recommending that, the others from the same brewery look good too.

We have a local brewery on the mountain, MT, and it's OK but vastly overpriced.

Hmmmm, back to the cask ...
well, I can't find it on the Dan Murphy's site.... or on boozle. So it looks like I won't be trying that one for a while.

Another beer that, for some reason, I really want to try, is Tui East India Pale Ale. A neighbour of mine tells me that it is New Zealand's version of VB.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:41 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
well, I can't find it on the Dan Murphy's site.... or on boozle. So it looks like I won't be trying that one for a while.

Another beer that, for some reason, I really want to try, is Tui East India Pale Ale. A neighbour of mine tells me that it is New Zealand's version of VB.
Only available on the mountain and down at The Bearded Dragon I think ... it's not worth hunting that hard for my money.

A Kiwi version of VB ... yeh, why, DO you want to try it?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

I'm employed in the brewing industry, so clearly biased, but on the other hand I know a few of the brewers and breweries on which I base my recommendations:

Us industry types hate the term "real ale". What's all the other stuff we brew: imaginary?! Please use the term "cask conditioned ale" in future. I thank you.

You like Corona, but then go on to talk about other "cooking lagers"! You know there's a reason they put a lime in the top?! Still, the customer is always right and there is no accounting for taste!

Now: you're in Perth and like ales, so Little Creatures Pale Ale and other flavoursome Little Creatures brews are a must.

Please don't fall for the "imported is best" propaganda. Beer is best when fresh. Locally brewed Stella, Becks and Heineken are better unless you prefer beer that has been heated in a shipping container and therefore tends to be stale. Heineken is my personal favourite (brewed in Sydney). Becks a close second.

VB is awful. Also has to come a long way to get to Perth. The other (big) local brewery is Swan. They make Tooheys Extra Dry so again fresh, and a great beer for the hot weather, also very good for price as only a bit more expensive than your "cooking lagers".

Finally: James Squire. The lovechild of possibly the most iconic microbrewer in Australia: Chuck Hahn. Still brewed in a lovely microbrewrey in Camperdown, Sydney. The IPA is great (although I wish they would tone down the bitterness a bit), and my favourite is Golden Ale, which is more like a British Summer Ale. Whilst on about Chuck, if you like hops then try Hahn Premium.

Finally, I agree that Murphy's is better than Guinness and you can get it in (most) Dan Murphy's.

Happy Drinking!!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:37 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by killerhales

VB is awful.
I disagree- it isn't awful at all. It isn't the finest beer on earth, and I won't pretend otherwise....but the sales volumes speak for themselves. It is certainly the beer that people love to hate.

Then you go on to say that Toohey's Extra Dry is a "great beer" ..hmm..... I think you need to get your eyes checked mate, and re-read the labels of the beers you are drinking. Because they can't be Tooheys Extra Dry.

Having said that - I agree with you on James Squire.... and Hahn Premium is also worth a go.

cheers !
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:47 am
Account Open

Just wanted to add another beer to this thread, not really as a recommendation though.

Bintang - Indonesia

I bought a carton of this for $45 the other night, thought I'd give it a go. Probably sells for $10 a carton in Indonesia.

Having just read the wikipedia entry, it seems that this is the best selling beer in Indonesia I may need to re-think my earlier comment "VB sales volumes speak for themselves". Here are my tasting notes:

bintang - This is a classic "holiday lager". Tastes similar to those bottles of French beer that can be purchased in cartons of 12 for GBP2 from Sainsbury's in the UK. Don't go out of your way to purchase this one. To be honest, I feel like the bottle shop pulled a fast one on me with Bintang.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 1:51 am
Account Open

Only available on the mountain and down at The Bearded Dragon I think ... it's not worth hunting that hard for my money.

A Kiwi version of VB ... yeh, why, DO you want to try it?
well, I'm not really sure to be honest. I think I just like the sound of the name.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
I'm employed in the brewing industry, so clearly biased, but on the other hand I know a few of the brewers and breweries on which I base my recommendations:

Us industry types hate the term "real ale". What's all the other stuff we brew: imaginary?! Please use the term "cask conditioned ale" in future. I thank you.

You like Corona, but then go on to talk about other "cooking lagers"! You know there's a reason they put a lime in the top?! Still, the customer is always right and there is no accounting for taste!

Now: you're in Perth and like ales, so Little Creatures Pale Ale and other flavoursome Little Creatures brews are a must.

Please don't fall for the "imported is best" propaganda. Beer is best when fresh. Locally brewed Stella, Becks and Heineken are better unless you prefer beer that has been heated in a shipping container and therefore tends to be stale. Heineken is my personal favourite (brewed in Sydney). Becks a close second.

VB is awful. Also has to come a long way to get to Perth. The other (big) local brewery is Swan. They make Tooheys Extra Dry so again fresh, and a great beer for the hot weather, also very good for price as only a bit more expensive than your "cooking lagers".

Finally: James Squire. The lovechild of possibly the most iconic microbrewer in Australia: Chuck Hahn. Still brewed in a lovely microbrewrey in Camperdown, Sydney. The IPA is great (although I wish they would tone down the bitterness a bit), and my favourite is Golden Ale, which is more like a British Summer Ale. Whilst on about Chuck, if you like hops then try Hahn Premium.

Finally, I agree that Murphy's is better than Guinness and you can get it in (most) Dan Murphy's.

Happy Drinking!!
Corona is a great hot weather/chilling in the pool beer - one of the best IMO. I wouldn't want to be drinking Guinness in 40c heat - but that's just me.

I like loads of different types of beer, depending on the situation. The types I cannot stomach and make me heave are British bitter-style beers. I can't think of a decent beer that comes out of the UK.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

ACA (yes, I know) did a blind taste test and the beers which won were the no-name supermarket brews like "Sail and Anchor", which Aus breweries won't produce for fear of the competition for their own brands.

I haven't tried them myself mind!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.