Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice
Arrow Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

Okay folks, here is another long-winded thread coming up !

Beer....In the UK, my favourite lager is Corona, Cobra and Stella. However, in Perth, WA, I notice that a case of Corona in Coles is $50 !

I hate "cooking lager" brands such as fosters, carling etc. I am yet to taste VB but if it is anything like XXXX, then I think I will leave that one !

I love real ale which I know is a rarity in Australia...so what are the options ?

Homebrew is an option however, I want something enjoyable !

(PS....I also have a love for Wine so should survive !)
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: Possibly The Best BEER Thread in the World !

You can get genuine Stella and Becks in Perth which is imported.

A friend also found Buckfast
Old Jan 16th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice

Working in Glasgow, Scotland, the presence of Buckfast is all too familiar however, not my chosen day-to-day drink ! lol

However, Stella and Becks are good....What are the prices like ?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

I come from Paisley although not working at present.

I know what you mean about Buckfast a bit like drinking treacle cough medicine.

Prices were not that bad probably about $5 a case dearer. I actually got a liking for Carlton dry in Perth 2 cases for $68

Last edited by mvagusta; Jan 16th 2011 at 8:01 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Corona is a cheap brand in my locale. It's usually cheaper than VB.

Unfortunately neither of them are to my taste.

Real ale and boutique breweries are very common in Victoria. But like the early days of the real ale revolution in the UK most of them don't travel far from their home town.

Over your way have you looked into stuff from Little World Beverages.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Or find a micro brewery.

There's one just up from Rockingham. I tried them all in one night and what a head I had the next day.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mvagusta
Or find a micro brewery.

There's one just up from Rockingham. I tried them all in one night and what a head I had the next day.
Now that sounds good to me....we will be local to rockingham !
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Then you have to find "The Last Stop" it's up near the 1 freeway.

They do a guinness type which was not bad and a few others.

There's an off licence across the road that does the imported Stella and Becks.

Last edited by mvagusta; Jan 16th 2011 at 8:24 pm. Reason: extra info
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Then you have to find "The Last Stop" it's up near the 1 freeway.

They do a guinness type which was not bad and a few others.
Nice one mate...What about prices for cases in Coles/Woolies etc....also, do they offer a range of aussie bottled ales ?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Prices across Perth are much the same. If you check the local free paper there are normally some offers from the off licences. I like the drive through ones as well.

Overall beer in Perth is expensive compared to Asda/Tesco.

Where about in Rockingham are you staying?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.boozle.com.au/
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:43 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colonel
Okay folks, here is another long-winded thread coming up !

Beer....In the UK, my favourite lager is Corona, Cobra and Stella. However, in Perth, WA, I notice that a case of Corona in Coles is $50 !

I hate "cooking lager" brands such as fosters, carling etc. I am yet to taste VB but if it is anything like XXXX, then I think I will leave that one !

I love real ale which I know is a rarity in Australia...so what are the options ?

Homebrew is an option however, I want something enjoyable !

(PS....I also have a love for Wine so should survive !)
I have developed a taste for Coopers Extra Stout ... it's better than the imported Guinness for my money.

The James Squire stuff is quite nice too.

I drink more wine these days though and my tastes are cheap and if it's over $20 for 5 litres it must be a special occasion ...
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I have developed a taste for Coopers Extra Stout ... it's better than the imported Guinness for my money.

The James Squire stuff is quite nice too.

I drink more wine these days though and my tastes are cheap and if it's over $20 for 5 litres it must be a special occasion ...
I've found many Aussie stouts to be better than Guinness. But I also found Murphy's to be better than Guinness.

I think expensive beer and cheap wine affects the drinking habits of quite a few of us.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I come from Paisley although not working at present.
Shouldn't you be drinking Tennant's Super Strength then?

I like treating myself with a trip to Dan Murphy's to get Black Sheep ale from Masham, North Yorkshire. The Tetleys and Boddington in widdget cans is good too as a change in taste from the Aussie lager.

Guinness at The Bog Irish Bar Christchurch, NZ is the best I have had anywhere in the world, but I do find it varies so much.

The James Squire stuff is nice, though that brewery is also owned by Tooheys/Lion Nathan.

Tooheys Extra Dry (TED) is about the best locally brewed mass produced stuff.

Tooheys Old is also an interesting taste if you haven't tried it. Its nothing like English mild, to me its an Australian larger with a caramel taste that comes from the dark roast malt that goes in it.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:34 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I've found many Aussie stouts to be better than Guinness. But I also found Murphy's to be better than Guinness.

I think expensive beer and cheap wine affects the drinking habits of quite a few of us.
Indeed, I can also recommend a drop or two of this imported brew ... our 'local' First Choice seems to stock it quite regularly ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.