Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Positive Thread

A Positive Thread

Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold
Smile A Positive Thread

Hi Evereyone,

Came on to read the posts this morning and was dissapointed at the amount of depressing threads. Lots about people not settling and wanting to go home, I really feel for these people because I know what a struggle it can be to move to another country and what real homesickness feels like, but I just want to say to everyone that it's an individual thing, and my time in Australia (18 months) has been the best time of my life, of course I have had ups and downs, and days I could just give up and go home, but i'm so glad I never gave up.

I have a fantastic lifestyle here, it doesn't even compare to the life I had at home. I have watched my kids flourish since we came here, me and my hubby couldn't be any closer and everything we do is family orientated. I miss my family very much in Scotland, but I would still never go back to live, when I see the life we have made here.

We have met fantastic friends from this site which makes it so much easier to settle as we compare a lot of things, as we sit outside in the heat, BBQ and a few beers, things like this I appreciate about living in this wonderful country.

Everyone has down days but thats when you turn to your partner or friends and pull each other up along the way. I get in the car and go and sit on the beach and appreciate the chance I have been given.

I just want everyone to know thats new here and coming, to give it your best shot, of course it won't work out for some of you but at least you can say you gave it your best. If you don't give it a chance you really don't know what your missing, I can't wait to become an Australian Citizen, and more and more this really does feel like home to me now. Only advice I can really give, is you have to make friends, adults as well as the kids, as this has been a major part of us settling so well here. I wouldn't swap it for the world. If you want this new life bad enough you will make it work, just don't come here and salg the place off because it hasn't got this and that, you have to adapt to the Australian way of life, which is very laid back.

Good luck to everyone, live the Dream

Lisa
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:36 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: A Positive Thread

Onya mate, that's the sort of thing we need to hear!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:42 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Positive Thread

Originally Posted by floweroscotland
Hi Evereyone,

Came on to read the posts this morning and was dissapointed at the amount of depressing threads. Lots about people not settling and wanting to go home, I really feel for these people because I know what a struggle it can be to move to another country and what real homesickness feels like, but I just want to say to everyone that it's an individual thing, and my time in Australia (18 months) has been the best time of my life, of course I have had ups and downs, and days I could just give up and go home, but i'm so glad I never gave up.

I have a fantastic lifestyle here, it doesn't even compare to the life I had at home. I have watched my kids flourish since we came here, me and my hubby couldn't be any closer and everything we do is family orientated. I miss my family very much in Scotland, but I would still never go back to live, when I see the life we have made here.

We have met fantastic friends from this site which makes it so much easier to settle as we compare a lot of things, as we sit outside in the heat, BBQ and a few beers, things like this I appreciate about living in this wonderful country.

Everyone has down days but thats when you turn to your partner or friends and pull each other up along the way. I get in the car and go and sit on the beach and appreciate the chance I have been given.

I just want everyone to know thats new here and coming, to give it your best shot, of course it won't work out for some of you but at least you can say you gave it your best. If you don't give it a chance you really don't know what your missing, I can't wait to become an Australian Citizen, and more and more this really does feel like home to me now. Only advice I can really give, is you have to make friends, adults as well as the kids, as this has been a major part of us settling so well here. I wouldn't swap it for the world. If you want this new life bad enough you will make it work, just don't come here and salg the place off because it hasn't got this and that, you have to adapt to the Australian way of life, which is very laid back.

Lisa
A much more refreshing and encouraging thread! Hoorah!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: A Positive Thread

Hi Evereyone,

Lisa

Ditto

Nothing more to be said!!

Those glasses just get rosier and rosier by the minute eh, Lisa .

We are lovin it as well, speak to yer soon
Old Aug 24th 2005, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

nanci will become famous soon enoughnanci will become famous soon enough

Brilliant thread, likewise I have had good and bad days since we arrived here, but similarly I have watched my children become happier and more confident.

Missing family is definitely the hardest challenge to overcome, but there are so many ways to communicate these days, in fact I probably keep in touch with my mum more now, through email and phone calls.

Personally, I'm not sure whether it's the bluer skies, but I feel more relaxed and content than I have in years.

Nanci
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:06 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meelie
A much more refreshing and encouraging thread! Hoorah!

I like this thread it is very positive and spurs me on to succeed...Thanks.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Ninijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the rough

What a fantastic thread Lisa! Thanks so much for taking the time to write it. I agree with you so much it's all about effort, what you put in you get back. Also I think its about realising that life is always filled with ups and downs. However lets hope there are more ups than downs. Saying this though when things aren't perfect it can be seen as a positive, as without the bad you would never fully appreciate the good times.

Big thanks you have put a huge grin on my face.
Cheers
Janine
x
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all

Hi just what i needed!
It is raining blowing a gale Had the washing out then in now back out and it is raining again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh i love Scottish weather?
anyway you have just made my day.....hoping this time next year to be able to hang my washing out just once a day!
even though i think they could add this as a sport at the next highland games
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:15 pm
Professional Princess

Excellent thread and well put.

I love reading about these sort of posts where people have found where they want to be.

Love Sam

From a pouring with rain, very windy and chilly West London.

Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ninijon
What a fantastic thread Lisa! Thanks so much for taking the time to write it. I agree with you so much it's all about effort, what you put in you get back. Also I think its about realising that life is always filled with ups and downs. However lets hope there are more ups than downs. Saying this though when things aren't perfect it can be seen as a positive, as without the bad you would never fully appreciate the good times.

Big thanks you have put a huge grin on my face.
Cheers
Janine
x
while waiting it's lot pressure on you, with all the very real for the poster threds. It is good to hear a balancing thread i think most people know that it is going to be hard about missing family and friends etc. but most try to prepar for this ,which is not going to be easy, but life is not easy but to live a rich life you have to follow your dreams ramblig now sorry cb
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:21 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Excellent thread and well put.

I love reading about these sort of posts where people have found where they want to be.

Love Sam

From a pouring with rain, very windy and chilly West London.

Sam

Are you in Northolt? I caught the end of your TV appearance last week and thought it said Northolt but wasn't sure. I lived there some years ago.
Wanted to be in Australia then and want to be in Australia now!!

Suzy
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:33 pm
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Hi Evereyone,

Lisa

Nice one everthing you have said is what we hope for and expect!
It always takes a Scot to cheer things up around hear, youre a credit to yer nation! Slanj!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:36 pm
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Originally Posted by yamahaha
Nice one everthing you have said is what we hope for and expect!
It always takes a Scot to cheer things up around hear, youre a credit to yer nation! Slanj!

God my typing is awful....must be drunk again, I hat it when that happens.....hic!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 12:37 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by suzy
Sam

Are you in Northolt? I caught the end of your TV appearance last week and thought it said Northolt but wasn't sure. I lived there some years ago.
Wanted to be in Australia then and want to be in Australia now!!

Suzy

That TV appearance showing the most hideous plaster in medical histroy.

Which bit did you live in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.