Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking televisions...

Taking televisions...

Old Aug 24th 2005, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Default Taking televisions...

I think i remember seeing on here that only certain t.v.s can be converted to work in Oz. Can anyone tell me how you find out if you can convert your telly? As i dont really want to drag them all the way over there just to find that they dont work anyway.
Thanks all
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:40 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Taking televisions...

Originally Posted by desperate2go
I think i remember seeing on here that only certain t.v.s can be converted to work in Oz. Can anyone tell me how you find out if you can convert your telly? As i dont really want to drag them all the way over there just to find that they dont work anyway.
Thanks all
Why would you need to convert them in the first place?
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:53 am
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking televisions...

We bought our UK TV out here and bought an Aus digibox.
If your TV accepts scart then you should be OK (although scart is not as widely accepted here).

The alternative it to buy an Aus VCR when you get here and use that (again you use scart or composite connectors)
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:59 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Taking televisions...

Originally Posted by DevMountain
We bought our UK TV out here and bought an Aus digibox.
If your TV accepts scart then you should be OK (although scart is not as widely accepted here).

The alternative it to buy an Aus VCR when you get here and use that (again you use scart or composite connectors)
I reckon you'd want to have a pretty amazing telly to bother dragging it to the other side of the world. All singing, all dancing, makes a pot of tea in the morning...

We're ditching ours and buying a new one when we get over there; no sense in paying shipping costs for something we can pick up cheaply and conveniently when we arrive.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:01 am
I liek beer

Depends what you class as cheap - our last TV cost $4,000!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:02 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder - when Australians move to the UK do they ship their stuff over?
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:15 am
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Taking televisions...

Depends what you class as cheap - our last TV cost $4,000!
Bloody hell! :scared:

Pardon my French, but that's definitely all singing, all dancing; in fact, for that price I'd want it to mow my lawn as well!

I don't intend to pay more than a few hundred $ for a telly when I get over there.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:17 am
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Taking televisions...

Originally Posted by seang
I wonder - when Australians move to the UK do they ship their stuff over?
I imagine most of them do. I didn't, but that's because I only intend to be here for a few years. 20 months later, I still have no regrets about that decision.

I just can't see the point in taking a telly unless it's worth a fortune.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:31 am
I liek beer

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Pardon my French, but that's definitely all singing, all dancing; in fact, for that price I'd want it to mow my lawn as well!
It does EVERYTHING (except show TV programs), but that's OK
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:32 am
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Taking televisions...

It does EVERYTHING (except show TV programs), but that's OK
LOL, I'll pay that; prime candidate for Quote of the Week!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Our expensive telly had different frequency settings so could cope. Our cheap ones are great for dvds and videos brought from home. I had a guy round to look at them today - converters cost $400 +, set top boxes $150 - $250 with varying degrees of success, foxtel is another option.

Also if you're getting rental you're dependent on their aerial and their television sockets (ours are basic in quality and number respectively) so it cost a small fortune to be told we'd be better off to buy new.

We're just going to use the main telly (which works fine) for ordinary watching and wait to use the other lot when we buy our own place.

It was no extra cost for us to bring them as we had a huge container, we'd have got b****r all for them and none of our family or friends needed them more than us so we haven't really lost out.

Apparently cheap tvs over here cost around $200 and there are some beauties at $6000.

Hope the info helps you make a decision that's suitable for you.

NB1. Definitely bring a few banks of plug sockets so you can change the lead plug and then use your English plugs for the first few days. We bought about 50 and it wasn't enough (appliances, tvs, stereos, hair stuff, computers, etc.)

NB2. Only thing we brought that couldn't be used (and we brought everything) is the gameboy charger which we can't work out how to put a plug on as there's only one wire and some copper when you take off the old plug.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Some (most decent ones) modern TVs do not need to be modified & will pick up Aussie PAL signals either automatically or via a setting.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry

When I read the title of this thread I thought someone was taking a trip down memory lane and reminiscing about the Toxteth riots
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

I just can't see the point in taking a telly unless it's worth a fortune. [/QUOTE]
Because the amount extra it will cost to ship the telly is minimal compared to buying a new one and i cant really afford to replace 3 tellys..........so thats why. Hope its answered your question
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flip
Our expensive telly had different frequency settings so could cope. Our cheap ones are great for dvds and videos brought from home. I had a guy round to look at them today - converters cost $400 +, set top boxes $150 - $250 with varying degrees of success, foxtel is another option.

Also if you're getting rental you're dependent on their aerial and their television sockets (ours are basic in quality and number respectively) so it cost a small fortune to be told we'd be better off to buy new.

We're just going to use the main telly (which works fine) for ordinary watching and wait to use the other lot when we buy our own place.

It was no extra cost for us to bring them as we had a huge container, we'd have got b****r all for them and none of our family or friends needed them more than us so we haven't really lost out.

Apparently cheap tvs over here cost around $200 and there are some beauties at $6000.

Hope the info helps you make a decision that's suitable for you.

NB1. Definitely bring a few banks of plug sockets so you can change the lead plug and then use your English plugs for the first few days. We bought about 50 and it wasn't enough (appliances, tvs, stereos, hair stuff, computers, etc.)

NB2. Only thing we brought that couldn't be used (and we brought everything) is the gameboy charger which we can't work out how to put a plug on as there's only one wire and some copper when you take off the old plug.
Thanks thats really useful to know.
Is there any point in taking my digibox? Will it work for anything out there?
Its true i may as well bring them and dump them if they are no good. Nobody i know needs them.....seems everyone has a full compliment of tvs nowadays

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.