Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Positive signs in the Australian Real Estate Market

Positive signs in the Australian Real Estate Market

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 2:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Positive signs in the Australian Real Estate Market

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
If by 'cash buyer' you mean someone who doesn't need to borrow any money then I agree with you - but that is a very small percentage of the market and probably doesn't include too many forum members.
But it includes a number.

Salaries are also irrelevant for those who do not need to work for an income.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 2:58 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Grayling, I'm sure you are trying to make a point - I just have no idea what it is. There are always groups of people for whom the norms do not apply, but that doesn't make the norms irrelevant. For instance I own my house outright, but that doesn't mean that I ignore the plight of those who don't.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:25 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Grayling, I'm sure you are trying to make a point - I just have no idea what it is. There are always groups of people for whom the norms do not apply, but that doesn't make the norms irrelevant. For instance I own my house outright, but that doesn't mean that I ignore the plight of those who don't.
My point is that the UK is more affordable if you look purely in cash terms and stop the obfuscation caused by exchange rates and relative salaries as these are subject to change as we have seen over the past few years
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:45 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Using house price to average annual salary multiples serves as a useful relative value indicator - albeit at a high level.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:54 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Graying, living as you do in Dystopia I can well believe that you keep all your assets as gold coins buried in the garden, but those of us who live in the real world usually do have to work for a living.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Graying, living as you do in Dystopia I can well believe that you keep all your assets as gold coins buried in the garden, but those of us who live in the real world usually do have to work for a living.
Why give an answer like that

I also had to work for a living......now I don't.....this discussion is about house prices.

Last edited by Grayling; Oct 23rd 2013 at 4:02 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Why give an answer like that

I also had to work for a living......now I don't.....this discussion is about house prices.
I thought the discussion was about affordability, not prices, and as such for most people that will be about the relationship of what they earn and how much they will have to spend to buy a house. Obviously there will always be others that have savings, or other resources to buy, and then maybe the sole consideration is price alone (and suitable area)
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I thought the discussion was about affordability, not prices, and as such for most people that will be about the relationship of what they earn and how much they will have to spend to buy a house. Obviously there will always be others that have savings, or other resources to buy, and then maybe the sole consideration is price alone (and suitable area)
Well, if that is the case, it is also pointless to talk about salaries.
I would suggest that most house purchasers in the UK are on way above
'average' salaries given the number that still live in Council or Association houses
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if that is the case, it is also pointless to talk about salaries.
I would suggest that most house purchasers in the UK are on way above
'average' salaries given the number that still live in Council or Association houses
So are you saying that to afford to buy in the UK you need to earn way above the average salary, and that if you are only earning an average wage in the UK you will be living in council / association / other rented accommodation?

Last edited by old.sparkles; Oct 23rd 2013 at 4:23 am. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:23 am
Bitter and twisted

According to the Telegraph the average salary of a new homebuyer in the Uk now exceeds 40K GDP....can't post link as I am on ipad
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:24 am
Bitter and twisted

So are you saying that to afford to buy in the UK you need to earn way above the average salary, and that if you are only earning an average wage in the UK you will be living in council / association / other rented accommodation?
.....and that must be pretty much the same here which is why so many are renting
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:25 am

According to the Telegraph the average salary of a new homebuyer in the Uk now exceeds 40K GDP....can't post link as I am on ipad
So to be able to afford to buy in the UK, you need to be earning double the national average?
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:25 am
Bitter and twisted

So to be able to afford to buy in the UK, you need to be earning double the national average?
So what figure do you need here?
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:26 am

.....and that must be pretty much the same here which is why so many are renting
So then the UK is not much more affordable which was your original proposition?
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:27 am
Bitter and twisted

So then the UK is not much more affordable which was your original proposition?
See post 103

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.