Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pool pump - removal advice

Pool pump - removal advice

Old Sep 1st 2008, 1:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pool pump - removal advice

Right - just got off the phone with our local pool equipment supplier regarding our knackered pump. He said the best bet was to bring it in to them - that I just had to unscrew the pump at either end and that was that. But surely all the water will come pouring out if I do that? It's located in a little housing above the pool attached to a big sand filter thing. Any advice appreciated, before I flood next door's house out.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pool pump - removal advice

Originally Posted by Hutch
Right - just got off the phone with our local pool equipment supplier regarding our knackered pump. He said the best bet was to bring it in to them - that I just had to unscrew the pump at either end and that was that. But surely all the water will come pouring out if I do that? It's located in a little housing above the pool attached to a big sand filter thing. Any advice appreciated, before I flood next door's house out.
Ours broke recently, starting making an unholy hell of a noise! Pool shop said the same to us. We just made sure the pump was off, unplugged it and then unscrewed as instructed. There will be some water that is left in the pump itself and the surrounding pipework, it wasn't floods of water though.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Hutch;6736067]It's located in a little housing above the poolQUOTE]

If its above the water line.. I've never known water to be able to flow up hill on its own - so surely you will only drop the water that's still within the pump/pipes?
Old Sep 1st 2008, 4:22 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Right - just had a go at it. Top pipe came off no problem - the one that runs parallel to the ground, however, is well and truly stuck on there. Any tips for loosening it, above and beyond getting one of those rubber-band spanner things?
Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:06 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult to say without seeing the connection, Hutch. Some are "O"ringed, some bolted on with a gasket and curved flange. Judicious belt with a hammer on the side often either frees it or breaks pump <g>.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 10:09 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

A saw .. nope the rubber band or big wrench is best. Try to wiggle the pump a little incase its off center.

Pumps only have about 3 parts. Da motor, the starter coil , and the impeller.

If it hums, but doesn't move, then either the starter has gone , or the impeller is jammed. Ours was bust when we moved in, but after searching for starter supplier, I took the pump off to take to shop, but decided to take a quick look myself.

After the winter the impeller can get jammed with all the little bits of leaves etc. I just undid all the bolts, took the impeller out, and clean out all the crap.

Basic read on the common problems

http://www.poolplaza.com/pool-school...shooting.shtml

Complicated pump

http://www.troubleshooters.com/pool/...c_Dissassembly