Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Poll: Have you been to Australia?

View Poll Results: Have you been to Australia?
Applied for a Visa but have only seen Home 'n Away.
15.38%
Applied for a Visa but have been down under before.
51.65%
Applied for a Visa and have been many times mate!
25.27%
Applied for a Visa cos Ramsey Street looks great.
7.69%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Have you been to Australia?

Old Nov 24th 2004, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Poll: Have you been to Australia?

Husband would have gone on the basis of hearsay and Discovery Channel I insisted we take a little look first.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 1:28 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I suppose if it's just you or you are a couple, it's not the end of the world if you come out without having been before and it all goes tits up because it's not like Home and Away.

But I think if you have kids, especially older kids, and haven't been out before you shouldn't even be allowed to come and live in Oz. It should be cause to fail the medical on grounds of insanity.
I agree, but tend to get shouted down for saying so. I don't have kids but feel that you owe it to them to get this move right if possible as they are being taken out of school (unless very young), and it may severely disrupt their education if it all goes wrong.

There are large parts of Aus you would have to pay me to live in, but in stark contrast there are parts I'd happily settle in right away. If you don't know which are the bits that appeal to you and your family then it's a gamble to say the least.

Very best of luck to those who leave without visiting first, as I do not condemn your decision, but I hope for your sakes that you have a contingency plan if it doesn't work out.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I wholeheartedly agree that if there are kids involved, it's probably better to check it out first because if it doesn't work out then I think the price you pay is a lot higher. In an evil twist of irony, the people with families are probably the ones who can least afford a holiday to Aus when you are trying to immigrate. I also wonder though, how many people have wanted to immigrate but have changed their minds once coming over on a holiday? is a holiday enough time to get a true reflection of life here?
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:48 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I wholeheartedly agree that if there are kids involved, it's probably better to check it out first because if it doesn't work out then I think the price you pay is a lot higher. In an evil twist of irony, the people with families are probably the ones who can least afford a holiday to Aus when you are trying to immigrate. I also wonder though, how many people have wanted to immigrate but have changed their minds once coming over on a holiday? is a holiday enough time to get a true reflection of life here?
Depends how long the holiday is, and there is also the option of a working holiday.

For those doing recces to check it out, there is a lot of very valuable warts and all info right here on this website, so it's well worth taking heed and seeing if your experiences match up to what you've read.

I know some of you simply can't afford the holiday/recce whatever, which is why you need to approach it with a very open mind and be ready for the unexpected, as much of what you see on the telly about Aus IMHO is very misleading to say the least.....