Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Points to note when choosing a shipper

Points to note when choosing a shipper

Old Aug 26th 2014, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Tom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really nice
Default Points to note when choosing a shipper

Learnt a lot this year having had several companies quote for moving our furniture from Lancashire to Oz.

Thought I would pass on our experiences to help others.

After committing to a particular firm with dates fixed, I was told that the machine (lathe) I wanted shipping would be shipped loose in the container (no boxes or wrapping). I had agreed to strip it as it weighed 1/4 ton but now I had to grease and wrap it myself if I didn't want it to be ruined by rust

All of our salesmen told us that we had too much for a 20' container. We were told to compile a list of stuff that would be sold/given away/dumped if it didn't fit in the container.

We had the option to pay for the excess as general freight at an inflated rate with a minimum charge. This would also attract a separate customs inspection charge.

So we sold/dumped stuff but still expected to be over from what we had been told.

Three packing guys arrived, youngest 58, oldest 69 and, within 10 minutes confirmed that everything would fit "easily"

They were dead right AND there was loads of room left that could have been taken up with the stuff we'd disposed of.

All of them said that, as the excess would be general freight, it wasn't as secure as the container which would be sealed at your house, then you could see the seal being removed at you new home in Oz (they even give you the seal number)

This is absolute rubbish as customs remove the seal and the goods and you get it all delivered in a big van, not in the container.

The shipping company offered us a choice of three freebies.

We chose a 4 cu ft. 25kg max box to be sent airfreight and arrive in two weeks. It MIGHT incurr customs clearance charges!

In our case, they charged us $150AUD "handling" and £34 sterling excess as it was overweight!

We have sent such parcels to Oz over the years to our grandchildren and only had to pay Royal Mail postage.

We didn't get the $150 back but I did get the £34 back (the box was 6kg underweight) after a fight.

So be careful about freebies - they are not.

Bear in mind that the salesman can tell you what he wants, by the time you realise something is wrong, it's too late because you have committed yourself to move on that date and you'll never see him again

Hope this helps
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Points to note when choosing a shipper

Name and shame?
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Tom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really nice

Point of the post was not to name and shame but to give people some advice to ask the right question when making the choice. (Most people only ever do this once, if they do it more then it's usually a corporate move and they get professional help in choosing)

I got four different companies and all four said the same about capacity and "sealed container"

The shipper we chose was £500 cheaper (even after we apid for the "$150/£80 box"

I know that some "wise men" will say that you get what you pay for but I had already checked out the company I chose and got good reports from people who had used them.

My daughter had used one of the companies we tried who had their own offices and warehouse in Perth, she had good service from them.

However, in our case the same company was extremely insistent that everything should go general freight because of cost but the cost was significantly more than the firm we used. Their presentation was good and pretty reassuring but expensive which is why we went for the company we did, after speaking to friends who had used them.

So, ask the right questions, don't accept what the agent in Oz says in emails when the goods have arrived at the port (they arrived in Oz exactly when the shipper said that they would) and "keep on their backs until your stuff arrives on your door step"
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I had companies say to me its a 40 day transit. The company I ended up with (Robinsons - happy to name ) quoted 90 days. After some research I found out the 40 days was the time on the ship and didn't include docks, inspections, customs, etc. I went with honesty in the end. I think it was about 62 days door to door in the end.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Also ask which ship they will use and the dates. They do vary a lot in crossing times etc.

They know the schedules, we were given a choice and actually chose a more expensive option because it was quicker!

Also get independent insurance, it is cheaper and the claims process easier.

We used Letton Percival and unfortunately had a claim, it was settled and money in our account in a few weeks.

The estimators always seem to overestimate, experienced packers can and do fit a surprising amount into a 20 footer!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Tracked the container all the way (even when it changed ship in Amsterdam), it went past WA to Sydney first then delivered our container on the way back.

Time wasn't of the essence as we assumed that we would have to build whilst living in one of our daughter's houses.

As it happened, an established house popped up at the right price, that exceeded our expections.

(our budget had been decimated by the falling pound and house prices in UK - was $600,000, became $400,000 so we had lowered our expectations)

Still not desperate to move (living with our grandchildren is working for everyone and the house dd need some work) but will eventually need our own space

Hopefully no insurance claims as we have not insured everything - lot of garage style machinery is 60 yrs old anyway!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Pratt
Tracked the container all the way (even when it changed ship in Amsterdam), it went past WA to Sydney first then delivered our container on the way back.

Time wasn't of the essence as we assumed that we would have to build whilst living in one of our daughter's houses.

As it happened, an established house popped up at the right price, that exceeded our expections.

(our budget had been decimated by the falling pound and house prices in UK - was $600,000, became $400,000 so we had lowered our expectations)

Still not desperate to move (living with our grandchildren is working for everyone and the house dd need some work) but will eventually need our own space

Hopefully no insurance claims as we have not insured everything - lot of garage style machinery is 60 yrs old anyway!
Thanks for passing all that on Tom, it's good to know what to ask and what to expect. Also, congratulations on getting a house that suits you so quickly. It's not the easiest thing to do in Perth, so I think that house was destined for you Give us a yell if I can help with any Perth/Freo info, I've lived here all my life so I know the place pretty well.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much!

House isn't what we dreamed of all those years ago (no pool, small garden) but I guess it's a sensible option at our age. Both our daughters have lovely big houses with pools and it does require some up keep (makes me feel better that way!)

It's still bigger than our three bedroom house in Skelmersdale though and being a "bungalow", it's perfect for my wife.

Loving the weather already even though it's winter.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:25 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Pratt
Thank you so much!

House isn't what we dreamed of all those years ago (no pool, small garden) but I guess it's a sensible option at our age. Both our daughters have lovely big houses with pools and it does require some up keep (makes me feel better that way!)

It's still bigger than our three bedroom house in Skelmersdale though and being a "bungalow", it's perfect for my wife.

Loving the weather already even though it's winter.
I didn't know you were from Skem! You and Scouse were practically neighbours Yes, the weather has been lovely, far more like spring than winter. I'll be interested to hear how your and your wife go with the Perth summer - hopefully like ducks to water.

I've never had a pool and I haven't missed it - the up keep you mention was a big turn off. There are always the public pools if you feel like a dip, and the ocean of course! A one level house is such a sensible option for us 'older' people, and you can gradually change bits of the house if you want to. Amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do!

Anyway - welcome to Oz, cobbers, and very pleased we are to have you
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Fresh coat of paint is an understatement! We painted every room in the house and laid a new floor throughout in a week.

The house is less than 3 years old but an ex rental, a bit tired but got everything we need and a bit more.

Our youngest daughter is less than 5 minutes away, the kids school is half way and she has a huge pool so no worries about that.

Yes, I did consider cost of upkeep, it's pretty high and with only me able to use it, pretty pointless.

Actually hoping I can acclimatise in time for summer, been here four times before, twice in summer which was a real shock to the system.

Last time we were here, we were in our daughter's rental (she was building the house she has now), it was 42 degrees and practically no aircon.

My wife loves heat so was OK, I was sleeping (well trying to) on the tiled floor trying to ignore the heat and the noise from next door's aircon (sounded like a jumbo jet)

I was dreaming of snow! a friend sent me a picture of our house in Skem, the car was completely covered in snow and Skem was at a standstill for two weeks.

I was born at the Royal Infirmary in Liverpool and lived off Scotland road wich makes me a real scouser. Then lived in Speke, Widnes, got married and moved to Winsford, then Norris Green, Skem, Portsmouth and back to Skem in 1985.

Hopefully we've satisfied the gipsy in us!