Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Plumbers/electricians - does my bathroom need Earth bonding?

Plumbers/electricians - does my bathroom need Earth bonding?

Old Jun 12th 2006, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

pen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nice
Default Plumbers/electricians - does my bathroom need Earth bonding?

hi all,

Just after a little advice from the electricians/plumbers amongst you ...
When we (hopefully) go to Aus on our 457 visa which we (hopefully) will be given soon we plan to rent out our flat in the UK, as going on 457 don't want to sell.

Anyway our electric shower has started to play up and basically needs replacing, a guy came round today and had a look after looking at the shower he checked to see if our bathroom is earth bonded, I think thats what its called. Anyway he said its not and that under new regulations it needs to be, needs to run a cable by the loo and the sink. Also said that in future when selling packs come in everyone will need an electrical safety test certificate.

Anyway my question is do we need to get this earth bonding done and also will we need an electrical safety test to rent the property?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers

pen8uin
Old Jun 12th 2006, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbers/electricians - does my bathroom need Earth bonding?

Originally Posted by pen8uin
hi all,

When we (hopefully) go to Aus on our 457 visa which we (hopefully) will be given soon we plan to rent out our flat in the UK, as going on 457 don't want to sell.

Anyway our electric shower has started to play up and basically needs replacing, a guy came round today and had a look after looking at the shower he checked to see if our bathroom is earth bonded, I think thats what its called. Anyway he said its not and that under new regulations it needs to be, needs to run a cable by the loo and the sink. Also said that in future when selling packs come in everyone will need an electrical safety test certificate.

Anyway my question is do we need to get this earth bonding done and also will we need an electrical safety test to rent the property?

Cheers

pen8uin

Hi

We've just had to have this done for the sale of our house, so yes it needs doing.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Plumbers/electricians - does my bathroom need Earth bonding?

hi all,

Cheers

pen8uin
Was under the impression not necessary for existing installations - will check with OH (plumber extra-ordinaire hi hi) and get back to you tomorrow.

Paula
Old Jun 12th 2006, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downies
Was under the impression not necessary for existing installations - will check with OH (plumber extra-ordinaire hi hi) and get back to you tomorrow.

Paula

That's what my hubby thought (he's an electrician) but the survey said that it had to be done before they would release the mortgage funds.

Also, if planning to rent out the house then you will probably need the safety certificate, don't forget to have the gas done as well.

Last edited by WendyC; Jun 12th 2006 at 4:11 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 4:49 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

hi all,

Cheers

pen8uin

home info packs

http://www.homeinformationpacks.gov....roduction.aspx

cannot see anything about electrical certification
could your spark be mixing it up with landlords certification ?

re the bonding its one of the only items that has to be retrospectively corrected
ie usually if it complied at the time of the installation its ok
but with bonding both main and supplementary they have to be upgraded to the latest regulaions before a NIC accredited contractor can work on them

if you need further clarification contact the nic via
http://www.niceic.org.uk/consumers/index.html