Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please someone reasure me...Trip to UK - passport question

Please someone reasure me...Trip to UK - passport question

Old Jul 1st 2010, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of
Default Please someone reasure me...Trip to UK - passport question

I am having nightmares.. my husband, i and our two daughters are flying to the UK for the first time since moving here. My husband, i and our oldest daughter are all travelling on UK passports with permanent resident Australian visas in them. My 18 month old only has an Australian passport with no visa inside. i keep dreaming she is forced to stand in the "foreign nationals" queue in the british airport. Please can someone give me some reassurance that there is nothing i have forgotten to do i.e. visa for my youngest? has anyone else been in this situation?

Thanks from a tired and worried mum
Old Jul 1st 2010, 12:21 pm
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please someone reasure me...

Originally Posted by thebardies
I am having nightmares.. my husband, i and our two daughters are flying to the UK for the first time since moving here. My husband, i and our oldest daughter are all travelling on UK passports with permanent resident Australian visas in them. My 18 month old only has an Australian passport with no visa inside. i keep dreaming she is forced to stand in the "foreign nationals" queue in the british airport. Please can someone give me some reassurance that there is nothing i have forgotten to do i.e. visa for my youngest? has anyone else been in this situation?

I knew a family in exactly the same position and when they tried to go through passport control, social services came and took the child away and fostered it out. True.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 12:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

She can go in the same queue as you, and Australian passport holders can visit the Uk without a visa (unless they are looking to work etc which i guess she won't be!!!)
Old Jul 1st 2010, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Err no she won't have to join the other queue by herself?

She also does not need a visa for the UK.

Keep her with you and you and she will be fine in the queue for Brits.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 1:31 pm
Well Endowed Member

The Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really nice

Is Guantanamo Bay still operating ...

Originally Posted by Call me AL
I knew a family in exactly the same position and when they tried to go through passport control, social services came and took the child away and fostered it out. True.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud ofchris1386 has much to be proud of

baaaad man
Old Jul 1st 2010, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of

Ah cool. She is a bit of a handful at the minute so thats the babysitting sorted out while we are over!!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Please someone reasure me...Trip to UK - passport question

On a slightly different angle...

I am a British passport holder and an Australian passport holder. I am going to travel back to the UK next year and was planning to just use my Australian passport to enter and leave the UK. Other than getting in a different queue at passport control are there any possible complications if immigration officials know that I am British but entering the UK on an Australian passport?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by migrantoz

I am a British passport holder and an Australian passport holder. I am going to travel back to the UK next year and was planning to just use my Australian passport to enter and leave the UK. Other than getting in a different queue at passport control are there any possible complications if immigration officials know that I am British but entering the UK on an Australian passport?
Why would you enter the UK on an Australian passport if you have a UK one - is it expired ?? I wouldn't imagine there would be any problem as you are an Australian citizen also but if your UK passport has not expired they might be curious as to why you are not travelling on it [which could mean all sorts of things]
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:49 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I purely use and take my Australian passport because :

1. The queue at Other Passports as opposed to EU passports is usually shorter thanks to there being more immigration staff working on those desks.
2. If you fly a premium class you can use the priority lane at LHR.
3. I feel more confident in my ability to be repatriated to Australia and receive more assistance in the event of civil unrest/disaster as an Australian citizen.
4. Traveling on one passport avoids potential confusion with airlines and security etc.

You will be asked for the reason for your visit, holiday or visiting family etc and your return date and issued with a 6 month visa on the spot. Say it with your best British accent and nobody will bat an eyelid. You will not be the first person who has left the shores of blighty and now holds a different passport.

As a technical point you should enter the UK under a UK passport and Australia under your AU passport. But I've never been a technical person and the above always works for me.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Unlike Australia, which asks that you enter and leave on your Aussie passport, the UK doesn't have a rule about it. No problem at all on entering on your Aussie one if you want to, they are highly unlikely to ask if you have a British one as well, and even it they do, it doesn't matter that you aren't using it.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Our son was adopted and before his British passport was through we ALWAYS took him in the British queue with us. It was never a problem, even before the adoption was legalised and he had another name.

On one occasion (when he had the same name but different passport) the Immigration Officer said "Is this your son?" I said "Yes" and went rooting for the adoption papers, and he just said "That's good enough for me, welcome home". It was really nice.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said your 18 month old is fine to travel on his/her Australian passport - no visa is requred. All family members travelling together irrespective of their passport/visa status can join the same queue in immigration. have a good trip
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

We had to return to the UK suddenly 4 years ago for a family funeral. We had a 3 year old with a British passport and a one year old with an Australian passport. We were told by the nice immigration lady that we had to use the foreigners que due to the baby's passport.

We stood in that que whilst the entire united nations trooped past us with British passports, it took abour 30 minutes. We could hardly hear a British voice amoungst them. You can immagine how pissed off I was first me Mam had died then I was treat as a foreigner.

And this was Newcastle!!!

Keel
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all

It depends on which airport and the mood of the immigration officer unfortunately. Before my wife and oldest got their British passports, they traveled on their US ones. Even though we have two additional children with British passports plus me, there were many times they were forced to go through the non-EU line. Sometimes they took pity on us as a family and let us go through the EU line together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.