Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Please help me fill in my visa application!!!

Please help me fill in my visa application!!!

Old Nov 7th 2001, 1:49 am
jet
Forum Regular

jet will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

Well I am finally ready to start filling in my application for a prospective fiance visa and have come across a few hurdles and would love some advice from you guys.

Question 9 asks for visa number, I have just returned from Australia but on an ETA Visa so I dont know the number, should I just put ETA VISA or leave it blank?

Question 18 asks for place of issue of passport??? is this Great Britain, which is the answer to one of the previous questions. I cant find a place of issue on my passport so any help would be appriciated.

Another thing I am puzzled about are the stat decs, whilst over there we got 2 different friends to write stat decs and we got certified copies of their birth certifcates to back them up but I have just seen a posting by George Lombard about form 888, should we have used these because this is the first we have heard of them.

I will be lodging my application with the Embassy in London, will they require payment in Sterling or Aus Dollars.

Thanks so much for your help, without groups like this I dont know how I would have got this far....Debbie ([email protected])
Old Nov 7th 2001, 8:30 am
George Lombard

Hi Alan, Debbie

Two form 888s are a standard requirement for an application lodged onshore, but Alan
is quite correct that a normal statutory declaration is perfectly ok offshore. The
format for a normal statutory declaration is at the DIMA forms page just above the
numbered forms (www.immi.gov.au/allforms/formlist.htm).

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au Alan Collett
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >

Old Nov 7th 2001, 3:32 pm
jet
Forum Regular

Thanks George for your reply but you mentioned Alans answer, I didnt receive anything from Alan so a little confused there. I found the part on the immigration page you told me about ie how to set it out etc but being a typical blonde!! still confused.... Who do you get to witness the statutory declarations and do you have to write them in front of the said person. The 2 we have had done for us by friends were written in letter format addressed to whom it may concern then signed dated and addressed. Should we scrap these and start again using the format set out on the immigration page, we have got certified copies of their birth certificates. Thanks in advance for any help...Debbie
Old Nov 7th 2001, 6:30 pm
George Lombard

Hi Debbie,

Alan posted an answer to you which I saw just after yours on my server apparently it
hasn't emerged on your server. I have copied it at the bottom of this email.

The statutory declaration form or the form 888 can only be executed in a particular
way to be a binding document, however there is no need to use this format for
offshore applications, so you can probably afford to just go the way you have and
leave it. Generally we advise using the form 888 as it is just more likely to elicit
the preferred response from your case officer.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

Re question 9 - put ETA Re question 18 - was your passport issued in London? If you
aren't sure, put United Kingdom (assuming it wasn't issued outside the UK that is) Re
stat decs and form 888 - I stand to be corrected on this one, but I think the form
888 is simply a convenient method of preparing a Statutory Declaration for a spouse
or interdependency visa where the person making the Declaration is within Australia.
In other words a Stat Dec in another format (namely one that is not on a form 888) is
equally valid as a submission with your visa application, so long as it is properly
signed off and duly witnessed. Payment - to be in UK£.

Hope this helps.

Alan Collett

Old Nov 8th 2001, 4:43 am
jet
Forum Regular

Thank you George and Alan for taking time to reply, and George for forwarding Alan's reply to me because you are right I never received it. I apoligies Alan but you will be sick of hearing from me because I submitted the same question on your GoMatilda site...Told you very blonde!!! Just one last question: Who do I get to witness the Stat Decs and do the people that wrote them need to be present at the signing because they are in Australia and I have the letters here in UK with me!! Thanks again Debs
Old Nov 8th 2001, 9:49 am
Alan Collett

Not a problem Debbie! As you probably know already I've replied to your
question directly.

Best regards

Alan C

jet Thank you George and Alan for taking time to reply, and George for forwarding
Alan's reply to me because you are right I never received it. I apoligies Alan but
you will be sick of hearing from me because I submitted the same question on your
GoMatilda site...Told you very blonde!!! Just one last question: Who do I get to
witness the Stat Decs and do the people that wrote them need to be present at the
signing because they are in Australia and I have the letters here in UK with me!!
Thanks again Debs

--

Old Nov 11th 2001, 7:22 pm
Trev Glasbey

Jet, I wrote my stat decs for my family myself (using a format taken from typical
examples I found on the net), and sent them to my family members to get witnessed. My
dad took his to his local solicitor, and had to swear on a bible (in the waiting room
believe it or not) that it was true. The solicitor then signed and stamped it, and
charged him £5.

My sister had hers witnessed by an british army general in germany (her hubby is
posted there at the moment), and wasnt charged for this.

If you would like, email me and I can send you some typical examples.

Trev

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 12th 2001, 2:47 pm
jet
Forum Regular

Dear Trevor

It would be great if you could send me your stat decs to have a look at, we have got ours written out but not witnessed yet and it would be great to compare. I have found a friend that is a bank offical willing to witness all my paperwork so that should save me some money as she said usually they charge £5 per sheet of paper and as I have all the stat decs, my personal statement and all my certificates to get done this would add to quite a bit of money.

What kind of visa have you applied for, I see from a previous posting it is something to do with a spouse.. are you already married or applying for the prospective spouse and if so how long has it taken for your application to be sorted.

Thanks for you help Trevor from Debbie