Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Price of furniture

Price of furniture

Old Oct 8th 2017, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Daisypup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Price of furniture

Ok might seem like a silly question but it's the way my mind is currently working our toddler is outgrowing his toddler bed so will need a single bed shortly but would we be better buying one before going or getting one out there? Are the beds dearer over there? Is furniture in general dearer over there?
Old Oct 8th 2017, 8:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of furniture

Originally Posted by Daisypup
Ok might seem like a silly question but it's the way my mind is currently working our toddler is outgrowing his toddler bed so will need a single bed shortly but would we be better buying one before going or getting one out there? Are the beds dearer over there? Is furniture in general dearer over there?
Check out sites like Freedom Furniture, Ikea, Amart (cheap, get wyat you pay for!), Fantastic Furntiure.
Also Gumtree for secondhand.

Personally I would bring everything you can get into the container.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Thank you � ����
Old Oct 8th 2017, 8:47 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Far be it for me to disagree with a witch, but .....

UK and Australian bed sizes are slightly different. Since you will no doubt be buying bedding in Australia ....

Also, shipping things will take 3 months, and you'll need something to sleep on in the meantime. So you'll have to get something anyway.

Therefore I'd buy when here. In general beds and bedding are silly prices everywhere. I don't think Australia is particularly expensive, provided you shop around.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Lol thanks. Ive read alot saying furniture is expensive and bring what you can but then I was thinking that we would need to wait for it if it came and I don't mind that for myself but I'd rather him have a proper bed and then I wondered about the sizing as well. It's all the stupid things I keep thinking of just now like should I bring my clothes airers � ����
Old Oct 8th 2017, 9:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the website of FF (a cheapy but OK place) so you can get an idea of prices etc.

https://www.fantasticfurniture.com.a...&%20Mattresses

Two things to bear in mind.
  1. ikea has it's own sizes, so if you do decide to buy there and bring, that's a way to bridge the size gap - though you then have to buy bedding from them.
  2. Most adult beds in Oz are Queen size - which is a size that doesn't happen in the UK exactly - it's closer to a UK king.
Airers - yes.

IIRC you can get Dyson vacuums cheaper in the UK as well? That's not a bad move.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 9:10 am
Just Joined

We have a king so that will be interesting on bedding lol. Ikea might be the way to then I will have a proper look in to it thanks � ���� and thanks about airers lol.
We currently have a gtech so hoping that will be enough for where ever we end up � ����
Old Oct 8th 2017, 10:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Far be it for me to disagree with a witch, but .....

UK and Australian bed sizes are slightly different. Since you will no doubt be buying bedding in Australia ....

Also, shipping things will take 3 months, and you'll need something to sleep on in the meantime. So you'll have to get something anyway.

Therefore I'd buy when here. In general beds and bedding are silly prices everywhere. I don't think Australia is particularly expensive, provided you shop around.
Disagree all you like, I have too many people ahead of you in the queue for hexing.
I did provide names of some retailers to check out. Being on the bus on the way home from the pub meant providing the actual links was a bit too tricky
I still say, if you have a container, fill it. Even if you sell the stuff when you get here!
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Double check with IKEA sizes UK v Oz we brought one from UK and the same design bought in Oz was not the same size. The mattress did not fit one to the other!

This was a few years back but I assumed they would be the same!

I would say bring what you have but don’t buy something just to bring if you will need it sooner, buy here. Shop around and you can get good prices. Don’t forget to haggle too!
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

I swear I'm going to have gone insane by the end of this move lol
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daisypup
I swear I'm going to have gone insane by the end of this move lol
Get to the end of the queue
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

� ����� ����
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:52 pm
Just Joined