British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Plates and licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/plates-licence-753651/)

bibblybobbly Apr 3rd 2012 4:34 am

Plates and licence

Have been here in Perth for 3 weeks now, still driving on NSW plates, and with nsw driving licence. I know I have to get that sorted asap. Do I just go down to RTA office, and just change them over. Does anyone know how much that is? Have been looking, but bloody com is running so slow,its quicker just to ask on here. Also if anyone knows if there is an rta office in or around Joondalup that would be the icing on the cake:D
Many thanks:)
I have an interview fo a job later, and my prospective boss is a police officer,thinking I should hide my car around the corner, not pull up on his drive,:D

nickyjohnt Apr 3rd 2012 7:28 am

Re: Plates and licence

Originally Posted by bibblybobbly (Post 9986240)
Have been here in Perth for 3 weeks now, still driving on NSW plates, and with nsw driving licence. I know I have to get that sorted asap. Do I just go down to RTA office, and just change them over. Does anyone know how much that is? Have been looking, but bloody com is running so slow,its quicker just to ask on here. Also if anyone knows if there is an rta office in or around Joondalup that would be the icing on the cake:D
Many thanks:)
I have an interview fo a job later, and my prospective boss is a police officer,thinking I should hide my car around the corner, not pull up on his drive,:D

There is a licenceing center in Joondalup, Boas Ave I think... Not sure about changing your plates i think your car will have to go over the pits.

Good Luck

John :)

bibblybobbly Apr 3rd 2012 7:31 am

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt (Post 9986404)
There is a licenceing center in Joondalup, Boas Ave I think... Not sure about changing your plates i think your car will have to go over the pits.

Good Luck

John :)

Thanks John, will look up Boas Ave .

perth tiger Apr 3rd 2012 12:50 pm

License a vehicle from interstate
If a light vehicle coming to Western Australia from the Eastern States meets the criteria below it can be licensed without the need for an examination.
Light vehicles include:

Motor cars
Motorcycles, including mopeds
Goods/ Commercial vehicles
Trailers, including trailer plant
Caravans.
Criteria
The vehicle must meet the following criteria:

Has a tare weight and aggregate weight not exceeding 4500kg. If you are unable to provide proof of the vehicle’s tare weight you may be required to obtain a weighbridge certificate.
Is currently licensed in an Australian jurisdiction
There is evidence that the vehicle is currently licensed in your name and has been for a continuous period of at least 12 months at the time of application (unless the vehicle is less than 12 months old).
We will accept any of the following issued in your name, dated more that 12 months ago:
vehicle licence or renewal document; both current and previous;
an offer to purchase, bill of sale or receipt;
an inspection receipt from a licensing authority or Approved Inspection Station; or
an original owner’s hand book or similar, issued with a factory new vehicle.
Has an approved immobiliser fitted if required (note some exemptions apply - refer to our immobilisers web page)
The vehicle is unmodified; or has been modified and issued with a modification permit from an Australian Jurisdiction; or has a modification that does not require approval
The vehicle does not require an annual examination [taxi, hire vehicle, bus, driving school vehicles, vehicles with more than 13 seats (including the driver), vehicles used to carry children to and from school (8 seats or more)].
If you are unable to provide proof of the vehicles’ tare weight you may be required to obtain a weighbridge certificate.
You will be required to provide proof that the vehicle will be garaged primarily in this state. You will also be required to provide suitable proof of identity documents before the vehicle can licensed in your name.

You will need to attend a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent to license the vehicle. To save you time, we have provided the 'Application to licence an interstate vehicle without inspection' Form MR20 below. If possible you can complete and bring the form with you (forms are also available at a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent).

You will also need to remove your vehicle number plates and bring them with you to the Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent. Your old plates must be exchanged for a set of Western Australian plates upon being issued with a Western Australian vehicle license. Please note that the Department does not provide a license plate removal service.

More information, including a list of other documents you will need to bring with you, is provided in the form.

bibblybobbly Apr 3rd 2012 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by perth tiger (Post 9986837)
License a vehicle from interstate
If a light vehicle coming to Western Australia from the Eastern States meets the criteria below it can be licensed without the need for an examination.
Light vehicles include:

Motor cars
Motorcycles, including mopeds
Goods/ Commercial vehicles
Trailers, including trailer plant
Caravans.
Criteria
The vehicle must meet the following criteria:

Has a tare weight and aggregate weight not exceeding 4500kg. If you are unable to provide proof of the vehicle’s tare weight you may be required to obtain a weighbridge certificate.
Is currently licensed in an Australian jurisdiction
There is evidence that the vehicle is currently licensed in your name and has been for a continuous period of at least 12 months at the time of application (unless the vehicle is less than 12 months old).
We will accept any of the following issued in your name, dated more that 12 months ago:
vehicle licence or renewal document; both current and previous;
an offer to purchase, bill of sale or receipt;
an inspection receipt from a licensing authority or Approved Inspection Station; or
an original owner’s hand book or similar, issued with a factory new vehicle.
Has an approved immobiliser fitted if required (note some exemptions apply - refer to our immobilisers web page)
The vehicle is unmodified; or has been modified and issued with a modification permit from an Australian Jurisdiction; or has a modification that does not require approval
The vehicle does not require an annual examination [taxi, hire vehicle, bus, driving school vehicles, vehicles with more than 13 seats (including the driver), vehicles used to carry children to and from school (8 seats or more)].
If you are unable to provide proof of the vehicles’ tare weight you may be required to obtain a weighbridge certificate.
You will be required to provide proof that the vehicle will be garaged primarily in this state. You will also be required to provide suitable proof of identity documents before the vehicle can licensed in your name.

You will need to attend a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent to license the vehicle. To save you time, we have provided the 'Application to licence an interstate vehicle without inspection' Form MR20 below. If possible you can complete and bring the form with you (forms are also available at a Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent).

You will also need to remove your vehicle number plates and bring them with you to the Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional Agent. Your old plates must be exchanged for a set of Western Australian plates upon being issued with a Western Australian vehicle license. Please note that the Department does not provide a license plate removal service.

More information, including a list of other documents you will need to bring with you, is provided in the form.

Thank you very much for all that, very easy to understand,and now I know in what order to do stuff to
Cheers:thumbsup:

asher Apr 3rd 2012 2:21 pm

make sure you take proof of address such as a utility bill or bank letter :thumbsup: