Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are "plane people" better than "boat people"?

Are "plane people" better than "boat people"?

Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:14 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are "plane people" better than "boat people"?

So they all blew up their boats and destroyed their documents?

If I am a "do gooder" are you a "do badder". I think you have watched ACA one to many times. I shall return to my do gooding life.
Originally Posted by don544
These people have travelled through safe countries, they have destroyed their identity documents, they have blown up one boat, and drilled holes in the hull of another. They get caught in indonesian waters but phone australia for help! They use their children to try and get sympathy, when that fails they make threats of hunger strikes, and refuse to leave their boat. They refuse to help police investigating the explosion. Are these really the kind of people we should be helping?
Don't think so

And to all do gooders who keep harping on that Australia was founded by 'Boat people' and Crim's, get a life FFS
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM

If I am a "do gooder" are you a "do badder". I think you have watched ACA one to many times. I shall return to my do gooding life.
they have destroyed their identity documents, they have blown up one boat
My post clearly states ONE BOAT. It is well documented and reported on the news that 'boat' people arrive without documentation. They have travelled through other countries to get here, so its safe to assume that they have destroyed their documents. I have worked in the corrective service dept's in UK and Oz, and have first hand experience of this.
I am not a do badder, just think that people should go through the correct channels, wait their turn and not use money to jump the queue.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:02 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

They say its only 1,000 boat people a year we can afford to let them in, the problem is if you let 1,000 in ,they write back to their villages telling them what a great life they have in OZ , all you have to do is hop on boat and they let you in , its easy and then next year its 10,000 boat people arriving, a few years later its 100,000, and so on.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:44 am

War zones do not present orderly channels and frankly I do not blame refugees for trying to bypass a system that leaves them waiting in camps for years or with no other option. It would be interesting to see what the actual proportion who destroy their documents is. The outcome of the enquiry into the boat that was on fire will also be of interest.

My post clearly states ONE BOAT. It is well documented and reported on the news that 'boat' people arrive without documentation. They have travelled through other countries to get here, so its safe to assume that they have destroyed their documents. I have worked in the corrective service dept's in UK and Oz, and have first hand experience of this.
I am not a do badder, just think that people should go through the correct channels, wait their turn and not use money to jump the queue.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:46 am

The numbers of refugees go down once peace returns and the eligibility of people from those areas also changes. Australia has always taken large numbers of refugees and will continue to do so. The origins of the refugees change with whatever the conflict of the time is.
Originally Posted by mohogony
They say its only 1,000 boat people a year we can afford to let them in, the problem is if you let 1,000 in ,they write back to their villages telling them what a great life they have in OZ , all you have to do is hop on boat and they let you in , its easy and then next year its 10,000 boat people arriving, a few years later its 100,000, and so on.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

War zones do not present orderly channels and frankly I do not blame refugees for trying to bypass a system that leaves them waiting in camps for years or with no other option. It would be interesting to see what the actual proportion who destroy their documents is. The outcome of the enquiry into the boat that was on fire will also be of interest.

They had all their documents when they boarded the plane to Indonesia.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:05 am
ABCDiamond

I wonder what would happen if they let in the ones with documents, but refused those without ?

Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I wonder what would happen if they let in the ones with documents, but refused those without ?
Brisk trade in the false documents industry methinks.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:04 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Am in Indonesia at the moment and I can tell you, if it was my life I'd be trying my hardest to get into Austraia too, not end up in some Indonesian detention centre (Australian funded or not) and then perhaps end up stuck here forever with no prospects of ever making a better life for myself. The lack of compassion is some of these posts is shocking. They are people for god's sake, and they are risking their lives. If it was you and your family, wouldn't you want to get to a country where there was at least a chance of a better future and not just the next over-populated, over-polluted poverty stricken place? Something terrible must drive the boat people to choose this dangerous way. Everyone will get processed according to UN regulations whether they come in by boat, or by plane on a tourist visa that they have no intention of honouring. Folks who make such vitriolic comments about boat people seem to have got sucked up in some kind of a media frenzy that picks a tiny minority of people out because it makes great news. They're not 'criminals' any more than people who intend to come in on a plane by means of a tourist visa and then not leave and instead apply for asylum, e.g. aforementioned sportsmen.

The vast majority of people on BE move to another country because we want a better life for ourselves and our families. Most of us are lucky that we come from nice peaceful western countries where our biggest stress is the visa timelines or the exchange rate. This forum is full of people upset about not being able to sell their houses but which must be awful but at least we all still have somewhere to live, and we're safe. Most of the time we don't know how bloody lucky we are and perhaps a bit of perspective is called for before rushing to so hatefully lambast a group of people who just want the same as we all want - to be happy and safe. Of course Australia can't take every asylum seeker or refugee. Of course there have to be rules and regulations. But it beats me why so many people can't treat the subject in a rational and calm manner and remember that these are other human beings we are talking about, not some lesser species that somehow doesn't deserve the kind of life that we have just because they had the misfortune to be born in a poor & troubled country.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure if it was all as straight forward as that then more would wait what folk like to term waiting their turn.
Fact is it is more of a lottery if a refugee is resettled or not so in effect there are very limited correct channels for these folk to take.
Not a clear clean orderly line where one waits ones turn as such and as such could hardly be termed jumping the queue.
If anything shows a little inititive making something happen by means of own devices rather than festering away in a camp for perhaps decades...
Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

No harm in being a good doer at all.Nor to articulate for folk that do not have a voice or are too weak to be heard..be that an asylum seeker or anyone else in need of a bit of a hand...
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:08 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think anyone has descended into being irrational at all.

If Australia can not take every refugee then it should take some. I believe Australia already accepts a number of refugees. No one is saying this should not happen.

However what does get peoples back ups is when a group of people just decide to force the issue and decide they will be those few acceptees that can be taken by their presence. What is the issue is not wether Australia takes refugees its Australia's right to choose to control its borders. This is why the 5% of boat immigrants cause such a fuss.

Note : The 95% of plane overstays should also be sent back.

Certain migrants travel over decent enough countries in their quest to live in the UK. They travel miles to get to Australia when India or Thailand is close enough to escape the taliban or the Sri lankan goverment. There not just running from something they are more like running to something to believe otherwise is naive. I dont blame them for trying and yes I would to if in the same circumstance. Would not make me right in what I was doing.

This is a really big test for Rudds goverment.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by PamE
If it was you and your family, wouldn't you want to get to a country where there was at least a chance of a better future and not just the next over-populated, over-polluted poverty stricken place?
Are they humanitarian refugees or economic refugees then ? Many people from some of the less developed countries already do that, but via correct channels often taking years, as many Migrants will understand.

these are other human beings we are talking about, not some lesser species that somehow doesn't deserve the kind of life that we have just because they had the misfortune to be born in a poor & troubled country
How do you feel about the refugees waiting patiently in camps for their applications to be assessed, who get told they have to wait a bit longer because people with money have taken their visa position ?

Or don't they deserve it as much, as they are the poor and honest ones who are NOT trying to beat the UN refugee system ?

I don't think there is an easy answer, but I think it stinks that those without thousands of dollars backing have to wait longer just because they are poor !

Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:48 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Am in Indonesia at the moment and I can tell you, if it was my life I'd be trying my hardest to get into Austraia too, not end up in some Indonesian detention centre (Australian funded or not) and then perhaps end up stuck here forever with no prospects of ever making a better life for myself. The lack of compassion is some of these posts is shocking. They are people for god's sake, and they are risking their lives. If it was you and your family, wouldn't you want to get to a country where there was at least a chance of a better future and not just the next over-populated, over-polluted poverty stricken place? Something terrible must drive the boat people to choose this dangerous way. Everyone will get processed according to UN regulations whether they come in by boat, or by plane on a tourist visa that they have no intention of honouring. Folks who make such vitriolic comments about boat people seem to have got sucked up in some kind of a media frenzy that picks a tiny minority of people out because it makes great news. They're not 'criminals' any more than people who intend to come in on a plane by means of a tourist visa and then not leave and instead apply for asylum, e.g. aforementioned sportsmen.

The vast majority of people on BE move to another country because we want a better life for ourselves and our families. Most of us are lucky that we come from nice peaceful western countries where our biggest stress is the visa timelines or the exchange rate. This forum is full of people upset about not being able to sell their houses but which must be awful but at least we all still have somewhere to live, and we're safe. Most of the time we don't know how bloody lucky we are and perhaps a bit of perspective is called for before rushing to so hatefully lambast a group of people who just want the same as we all want - to be happy and safe. Of course Australia can't take every asylum seeker or refugee. Of course there have to be rules and regulations. But it beats me why so many people can't treat the subject in a rational and calm manner and remember that these are other human beings we are talking about, not some lesser species that somehow doesn't deserve the kind of life that we have just because they had the misfortune to be born in a poor & troubled country.
I think Australia has the opportunity to do great humanitarian work in the world. Australia has the opportunity to make condoms affordable for all. North West Shelf gas into cheap rubber - Australia's contribution to humanity.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 1:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

To all on here who have a liberal/leftie attitude to this problem; how many boat people should we take? 1000? 5000? 50000? 150000? all of them forever?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.