Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are "plane people" better than "boat people"?

Are "plane people" better than "boat people"?

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are "plane people" better than "boat people"?

Originally Posted by PamE
More than 96% arrive by plane, they just get less media coverage and attention. Seems to be the case that people fall for the sensationalist media stories & get sucked in by political game-playing regarding boat people, as your interesting link suggests.
Interestingly, I heard from a completely unofficial source recently that quite a few of the 'athletes' who flew into Sydney for the Masters Games held last week will be seeking to stay permanently.

I wonder if the same stringent checks (that apply say for normal visitor visa applicants from high risk countries) also apply to 'athletes' from the same country to get a visa to compete in a supposed sporting event.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Interestingly, I heard from a completely unofficial source recently that quite a few of the 'athletes' who flew into Sydney for the Masters Games held last week will be seeking to stay permanently.
That happened with the Commonwealth Games in 2006 also.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:37 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
What do you think they are saying? I don't get where it says that the number of resettlement visa is offset against the number boat arriving refugees settled.

First, you said it was illegal; then you said it was incorrect; now you're saying you wonder if it's incorrect. In what sense is it incorrect? Be precise.

No-one demands to get taken anywhere - they pay through the nose (and often get fleeced along the way). Why should anyone co-operate with the Indonesian Navy?
You had better read carefully then....

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My view is:

Refugees who arrive by Plane have gone through all the correct legal channels, been vetted as true refugees by international organisations etc.

Refugees who arrive by Boat are avoiding the legal process, for various reasons, which may include some of these:
1: They can afford the $20,000 or so to get passage.
2: They know they won't get priority in the international process.
3: add to this list if you wish

Boat people end up claiming allocated places that mean that others that have gone through the international vetting are pushed down the line.

Australia only takes a certain number each year, from whatever source.

Comparison between Refugees and Overstayers:
My View:

Many Refugees cost the Australian taxpayer a lot in benefits, as they are eligible for everything without the 2 year benefit free period that normal migrants have to wait. They are also allowed to then bring in their families under the same conditions.

Many Overstayers are often spending their money here, and helping the economy.

That is why I see the media emphasis on Boat people jumping the queues, rather than overstayers.
The standards are actually the same today as they were in the above mentioned Howard era.

The difference is that Howard wanted all refugees vetted offshore, whilst Rudd was OK with it being done onshore. Although it now appears he may be looking carefully at other options, due to the increases of boat people movements.

If we accepted 6,000 boat people as refugees, none of the ones that are going through correct channels would get here, as the limit would be reached.

Therefore why would genuine refugees even bother using correct channels, the boat people would be taking away their hopes. This would just undermine the international systems that have been set up.
I wasn't sure at one stage, but looking at the figures the other day, in May 2008 they allocated 13,500 Total Humanitarian Program Allocation places for 2008/09.
The total figure for final approvals for the 2008/09 year, released recently, was 13,507. Only 7 more than the figure announced about 18 months ago.

I don't have that years split for special humanitarian program and refugee components, but the annual totals appear to say it all. Unless of course, there were only 7 boat style people that were admitted in that 12 months. ?

No, I just couldn't understand what was being said

But the "correct channels" for refugees are often referred to as going through the international organisations that organise these things.

Getting a flight to Indonesia, destroying your identity papers, and paying a people smuggler to get you to Australia, does, to me, make me wonder if that may be an incorrect channel.
Now be precise in the questions that you have, that the above does not explain as my views to the question ?

But specifically, please tell me why you think that the Humanitarian Visas for the boat people do not come out of the total annual allocation of Humanitarian Visas ? And re-read the above to understand the answer to your question
What do you think they are saying? I don't get where it says that the number of resettlement visa is offset against the number boat arriving refugees settled.
But to clarify...
In May 2008 they allocated 13,500 Total Humanitarian Program Allocation places for 2008/09.
They isssued 13,507 visas. How many went to Boat people 7 ?

Australia sets limits BEFORE the beginning of the year.
Those limits are near enough stuck to. Whether by authorised entry via one of the humanitarian programs or other sources.
From those figures, it stands to reason that if they were all boat people, then no more allocation would be available. That is my reasoning, as I explained before. But please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, as I always prefer to see actual info, and if you read 'precisely' what I said, I even said that I doubted that system originally.

I also said in exact words "the annual totals appear to say it all", that allows room for someone to provide alternative points preferably with reasoning rather than your words "What do you think they are saying? <..> Be precise."

And finally I never mentioned the Indosesian Navy

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:08 am
ABCDiamond

First, you said it was illegal; then you said it was incorrect; now you're saying you wonder if it's incorrect. In what sense is it incorrect? Be precise.
OK, is this precise enough
Boat people

A term used in the media and elsewhere to describe asylum seekers who arrive by boat or attempt to arrive by boat without authority to enter Australia. DIAC uses the term ‘unauthorised boat arrivals’ or ‘unlawful boat arrivals’
http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/B...atArrivals.pdf
I deem "unlawful" to mean similar to illegal, what is your definition of unlawful ?

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:23 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Irish boat people have just landed in Vietnam.........
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 8:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
So he should was the actor or character sent back, I dont watch Neighbours...
No neither do I The character I believe but for all I know the actor could have been and so they wrote it into the script
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:50 am

bjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura aboutbjbrian has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yes they are. Plane people generally entered Australia legally whereas boat people circumvent the laws and use the media (and their children) to try to stir up public sympathy. When the government doesn't submit to their immediate demands they stage hunger strikes.

I personally feel badly for people who face genuine hardship. I agree that Australia should take it's fair share of refugees. However I don't agree that we should be held hostage to law breakers who blow up boats or stage hunger strikes to enter.

I work at the hospital where a lot of the people from the Ashmore Reef boat explosion were treated. The costs of treating these criminals (yes, they are criminals who while trying to illegally enter the country alledgedly set their own boat on fire causing serious burns) could have treated many dozens of Australian tax payers.
Here here. well said.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 3:04 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

My two bob's worth.

No difference, both sort of illegal, those arriving by air who applied for and received a legal visa on condition of compliance, but with actual intention of not complying with conditions after arrival... well....join the dots on that one legally...

Boat people often do not have any access to a legal visa, let alone physical access to an Australian Embassy, in less democratic regimes.

Like many I am a bit exasperated with the fervour this issue induces in many people in Australia?

Issue is in the news because it suits the media and both political parties (from time to time for scare purposes), but meanwhile on the ground still lack of action and good data on regional development, streamlining state govts., population policy, addressing skills shortages, sustainability (e.g. encouraging smaller houses, less cars) and how to deal with ageing population and decreasing tax base?

As the producer in Australia's funniest satirical comedy "Frontline", based round a shonky current affairs program said: "A pub brawl in Manly is more important than a civil war, if you have pictures". Accordingly boat people provide great imagery, versus hands of a civil servant leafing through visa arrival data printouts.....

(Frontline appeared in the 90's and was described by The Guardian as "(If you forget where this series comes from), it is sheer brilliance" and from Ben Elton "The precursor of The Office"

More seriously, what I would call in Australia a jingostic nationalism has taken on board some earlier traits of Central European nationalism of the 1800s:
"....the (national) soul became the property of the collective rather than the individual, and it became morally corrupting - a convenient excuse for lack of achievement, encouraging individuals and communities alike to blame their own inadequacies, misfortunes and follies on others. In this way love of one's own people came to be measured in terms of hatred of others"
Whatever happened to the comfortable, dry, laconic, anti authoritarian and tolerant Australians (able to laugh at themselves)?

Like the film "The Castle" (also from producers of Frontline) mid 90s, which was a huge success internationally, as it showed good Oz values of the little man with values and ethics standing up to power and authority.....but different now....
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by balkanghost
Boat people often do not have any access to a legal visa, let alone physical access to an Australian Embassy, in less democratic regimes.
Why do they need access to an Australian Embassy? They have access to enough funds to pay smugglers to take them on boats to another country, why could they not use those funds to make a legal application for refugee status for their families? They have access to airports to take them to another country, why could they not use that plane to take them (and their families) to a safer part of their country?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:08 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

If Australia can not keep a few boat loads of unarmed queue jumpers out of Australia, what message would that send to the teaming billions of Yellow Peril slavering and pulling at their fetters, waiting to invade en masse, cut our throats and blow us to smith-ereens?
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

This article says MANY more non genuine refugees arrive by plane than boat.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...02-421,00.html

Boat people are "better" in that they are more likely to be genuine. Case closed.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Devlin
This article says MANY more non genuine refugees arrive by plane than boat.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...02-421,00.html

Boat people are "better" in that they are more likely to be genuine. Case closed.
But they all had Visas to arrive.

A total of 4768 "plane people" - more than 96 per cent of applicants for refugee status - arrived by aircraft in 2008 on legitimate tourist, business and other visas compared with 161 who arrived by boat during the same period, the Sunday Telegraph reports
How many of those 4,768 were accepted ? Only about half.

Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:49 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

My view is:

They are also allowed to then bring in their families under the same conditions.
I also thought that this was the case until I watched a 'Hot Doc' on SBS the other night. To cut a long story short this documentary was really about the kids and how they cope when they start school in Australia. The children told their stories and I was shocked to hear what the families had gone through but also the amount of time it took for the men (who were generally accepted first) to bring their families over. In many cases they were separated from their dads' for up to 7 years. there is no easy answer to this problem and when you see the human face of the situation not just the news reports it becomes very difficult to say send them back to where they came from. It wasn't all doom and gloom, these kids were saved and they and their families were so grateful to be here. There was one story that really stood out, there was a young boy who arrived from Africa, his father had been a Dr back home and they had had to flee horrific persecution. He could not speak 1 word of English but he was very grateful to the Australian authorities for giving him a chance. He worked really hard at school and 18 months after arriving he took the entrance test for Guildford Grammar School and he passed. He is the first African to attend this very prestigious school and will no doubt grow to be a very productive member of Australian society.

I wanted to share this because it is nice to hear a positive outcome to what is without a doubt a terrible situation.

I always say there but for the grace of God go I. We don't choose where we are born or what race we are and if any of us were in 'their' situation who is to say we wouldn't do exactly the same to save our children. I have a cosy, comfy western existence , however, if my children were in danger and I felt I had no other option I wouldn't think twice about breaking the law to save them.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:09 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ACE
I always say there but for the grace of God go I. We don't choose where we are born or what race we are and if any of us were in 'their' situation who is to say we wouldn't do exactly the same to save our children. I have a cosy, comfy western existence , however, if my children were in danger and I felt I had no other option I wouldn't think twice about breaking the law to save them.
I totally agree. Great post.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ACE;8042648]I also thought that this was the case until I watched a 'Hot Doc' on SBS the other night.
, these kids were saved and they and their families were so grateful to be here.

I wanted to share this because it is nice to hear a positive outcome to what is without a doubt a terrible situation.
QUOTE]

I was watching and SBS doco a couple of weeks ago about policing in certain areas.
It focussed on the Community Liasion officer with responsibility for Somalian refuges in Flemington Vic.
Many of the kids were really aggressive because there were not enough places provided for them to go in the evening. The Somalian youth club only had funding til 10pm and the video games van (provided by police I think) only was available twice per week.
I was astonished at the aggression shown to the poor policeman...where I live (only a few kms from Flemington and in an area with an assortment of migrants/refugees- no one group) nothing is provided.
Definitely no sign of " whew what a relief we are somewhere safe"....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.