Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are "plane people" better than "boat people"?

Are "plane people" better than "boat people"?

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:43 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are "plane people" better than "boat people"?

Pommie and Irish overstayers will always end up getting processed and returned, essentially they have not got the stomach for a life as a non person. Eventually when they want to settle down they have to return. So yes they are better than boat people as they are easier to process.

It just gets my back up when you hear stories of these guys on boats seeming to demand to be taken to Australia. They even refused to co-operate with the Indonsian Navy.

Asylum these days just seems to be selective, there appears to be a demand to get to their personnal choice of countries not just to get out of the ones they are in. The huge waiting pool of migrants in the jungle camp in France lays testament to that. Is France not a safe country? Never mind the fact that even if things improve in the country of orgin few return.

I mean we accept Afghan refugees however currently diggers are dying in Afghanistan to improve the lot of the people there. We should just return them to a safer part of Afganistan. Its a bit suss when people travel 1000's of miles to escape someone that is most likely local. For example if I am targeted by someone in London I could move to Edinburgh and as long as I did not tell anyone how would they find me? The London threat doe not justify my right to Asylum in another country.

I think the Rudd goverment brought this on themselves by dismantling the checks and balances in place by the Howard goverment. The removal of temperory visa's was one.
I also think the move of getting Indonesia to act as a Barrier is good one. If we dont have the balls to re-route the boats lets hire someone who does.

The original question asked is yes Plane people are better becuase at least we estabilished who they are and have checked them for weapons prior to entering, its a no brainer.

Last edited by Zambia; Oct 22nd 2009 at 6:47 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
OK, then - would you care to elaborate on your statement that Pommie and Mick overstayers are better than boat people?
It wasn't my statement - I was replying to it - but my viewpoint is similar to what others have posted on this thread about the difference between overstaying backpackers and boat people, and I can't be arsed to elaborate any further.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:48 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
the annual totals appear to say it all.
What do you think they are saying? I don't get where it says that the number of resettlement visa is offset against the number boat arriving refugees settled.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Getting a flight to Indonesia, destroying your identity papers, and paying a people smuggler to get you to Australia, does, to me, make me wonder if that may be an incorrect channel.
First, you said it was illegal; then you said it was incorrect; now you're saying you wonder if it's incorrect. In what sense is it incorrect? Be precise.

It just gets my back up when you hear stories of these guys on boats seeming to demand to be taken to Australia. They even refused to co-operate with the Indonsian Navy.
No-one demands to get taken anywhere - they pay through the nose (and often get fleeced along the way). Why should anyone co-operate with the Indonesian Navy?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
Pommie and Irish overstayers will always end up getting processed and returned,
There was an Irish lad on Neighbours a few years back who'd overstayed his visa. He got sent back.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You know nothing of my views on race so keep your prejudiced views to yourself.
So why not add more value to this forum rather than just replying "Yes". What is your reasoning that plane people over-staying is more acceptable than people arriving on boats?

My guess is your views on race are the reason you elaborate no further.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:04 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
So why not add more value to this forum rather than just replying "Yes". What is your reasoning that plane people over-staying is more acceptable than people arriving on boats?

My guess is that, since you jump to that conclusion, you show that you are a closet racist.

Last edited by WillBlack; Oct 22nd 2009 at 10:17 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kaungchiau
That is the title of Nick Bryant's blog on BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/nickbryant/

"Boat people" have dominated the press recently, so much so that some newspapers are giving two to three pages coverage on the issue.

What do people think?
Earlier this week a boat called ocean lady was caught trying to enter canadian waters illegally into victoria, bc. It had 75 men on board from sri lanka asking for refugee asylum - unable to go back to their own country due to persecution.

They are now in the process of going through the process to determine if some or all are able to stay in canada.

Since its my tax dollars (canada spends millions of dollars) each year of people arriving seeking asylum so the more info taxpayers can get from the paper the better it is.

Hopefully they will be treated with a little more respect and dignity then the chinese that arrived 10 years ago. A dark day in canadian history....

I understand you also had a boat from sri lanka and it was turned away?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is that if personal insults aren't kept out of this discussion it will be closed.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:46 pm

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
No-one demands to get taken anywhere - they pay through the nose (and often get fleeced along the way). Why should anyone co-operate with the Indonesian Navy?
From the Wiki article On The Tampa Affair

After Rinnan had set sail toward Indonesia, a delegation of asylum seekers visited the bridge to demand passage to Australian territory, specifically Christmas Island. The group was quite aggressive and agitated and Rinnan agreed to alter course for Christmas Island.

If you sail in Indonesian waters you are obiliged to Co-operate with the Indonesian Navy. Just like any other waters in the world.

Last edited by Zambia; Oct 22nd 2009 at 11:50 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
There was an Irish lad on Neighbours a few years back who'd overstayed his visa. He got sent back.
So he should was the actor or character sent back, I dont watch Neighbours...
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

. . . boat people would be better at rowing . . . and bailing-out . . . and that sort of thing
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
. . . boat people would be better at rowing . . . and bailing-out . . . and that sort of thing
Plane people would be good at reclining their seat and that's about it.

I'm quite sure that an overstaying backpacker is far easier to deal with and is therefore 'better'. A deportation - many will leave of their own free with their ears burning - and a ban on a tourist visa for 3 years. Bit of data entry for the case officer. It may not even prevent them from migrating as that is an application for a permanent visa. (Depending on whether they can meet the character test).

A boat person endangers the lives of people rescuing them.

That's very presumptious!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by spartacus
Blowing the boat up ...lets not forget blowing the boat up
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
Blowing the boat up ...lets not forget blowing the boat up
That would make them 'dinghy people' . . . surely . . .

Boat people would also be good at navigating by the stars . . . at catching fresh fish using only a coathanger and a pair of old pantyhose . . .

Last edited by spartacus; Oct 23rd 2009 at 3:28 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:31 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kaungchiau
That is the title of Nick Bryant's blog on BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/nickbryant/

"Boat people" have dominated the press recently, so much so that some newspapers are giving two to three pages coverage on the issue.

What do people think?
Amnesty International reports that boat people make up less than 4% of people who go to Australia seeking asylum, and their figures show that the vast majority of boat people really are looking for safety, they're not risking their lives for an economic reason. More than 96% arrive by plane, they just get less media coverage and attention. Seems to be the case that people fall for the sensationalist media stories & get sucked in by political game-playing regarding boat people, as your interesting link suggests.

If anyone's interested in contacting Kevin Rudd on this issue (and also specifically with regard to recent requests made of the Indonesian government):

http://www.amnesty.org.au/action/act...ef_Oct09_link2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.