Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PLaces to see in sydney

PLaces to see in sydney

Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default PLaces to see in sydney

Hi all, i've drifted accross from the NZ forum.
I'm coming over to sydney for a few days with my 16yr old son and
would appreciate any suggestions for places to visit while we are there.
So far we'll be doing the usual touristy stuff, opera house,harbour bridge,
bondi beach (i might even put my speedos on regardless of the weather).
But what else would the folks who know the place reccomend.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:26 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PLaces to see in sydney

Originally Posted by colandros
Hi all, i've drifted accross from the NZ forum.
I'm coming over to sydney for a few days with my 16yr old son and
would appreciate any suggestions for places to visit while we are there.
So far we'll be doing the usual touristy stuff, opera house,harbour bridge,
bondi beach (i might even put my speedos on regardless of the weather).
But what else would the folks who know the place reccomend.
If you're going to Bondi, head down to the south end where you'll find a large white building called the Icebergs - on the upper level is the Icebergs club and you can grab a bite to eat there - the steak's pretty good. Then head along the coast path towards Tamarama for superb views and a nice walk.

The Hyde Park barracks are well worth a look - very interesting, particularly the lower levels that they've excavated. If the weather's good, Hyde Park over the road is a great place for a coffee - if not head down the hill to David Jones and eat in the food hall. Just over the road from David Jones is the Sky Tower which is definitely worth a trip up for the views (again, if the weather's good).

Pick up a SydneyPass to get around (buses, ferries and trains all in the one ticket). Get the ferry over to Darling Harbour and just have a mooch around - good shops over the far side. Maritime museum's worth a look. In terms of shopping, Bondi Junction is a lot easier to do than Sydney CBD because everything's in the one place.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:44 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

darling harbour is worth a visit as is the adjacent park and the chinese garden where you can pay approx $10 to be dressed as a chinese emperor or warrior and wander around the gardens taking photos of each other.
the botanical gardens are nice for a walk and have a cafe
the aquarium is well worth a visit too the observatory hill gives a good view of Sydney.
watsons bay is a nice trip on the ferry and walk across the park to the edge rocks for a nice walk with a view.
The Queen Vic building is impressive to look at inside
Have fun
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

C'mon peeps.......... He's 16,

don't forget to treat him to the varied nightlife around King's Cross
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

middi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nicemiddi is just really nice

Originally Posted by asher
darling harbour is worth a visit
I would recommend the IMAX Cinema at Darling Harbour. My son is about the same age and is into movies. Then after, you could drop by the ice cream shop under the cinema....yum
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

Native Sydneysider here and possibly a bit out of date though.

Anyway, I'd recommend the ferry to Watson's bay followed by fish n chips at Doyles and a look at the Heads. Also, if he's 16, what about Newtown? I used to hang out there a lot when I was 16 back in the 80s. Now there are more yuppies than goths but still an interesting area.

How about walking across the Harbour Bridge or, if he likes stuff like that, the Bridge Climb. The Rocks are good too and Observatory Hill. Maybe have a 'coat of arms' pizza at the Australian Hotel (beer for you and sprite for him).

Take the ferry to Taronga Zoo and check out the marsupials and the view. Royal National Park or Kuring-gai chase for bushwalking and beaches.

Beaches - I like Nielsen Park, Bronte and Maroubra. Definitely do the cliff walk (as someone above suggested). Waverley Cemetary? Have a beer at the North Bondi RSL for a great view - cheap food too.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers all
I'll make a list of all suggestions and see which he fancies.
Down side is our return flight is the same time as the world cuo final. . . . . Nooooooooo !!!!!!l
Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:16 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
Cheers all
I'll make a list of all suggestions and see which he fancies.
Down side is our return flight is the same time as the world cuo final. . . . . Nooooooooo !!!!!!l
Ferry trip to Manly to check out the cafes, beaches and restaurants. Gives you a 30 trip on the harbour at the same time...or take the Jet Cat!!!