Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A place downunder - where are they all now?

A place downunder - where are they all now?

Old May 31st 2007, 11:59 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A place downunder - where are they all now?

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
And what happened to the lady and her family who was on todays show? Zena I think her name was, the family moved to Sidney but her son went home after 4 days

Mandy
They all came back after 4 months or so and live in Kent
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alan and sam
They all came back after 4 months or so and live in Kent
Glad im not there anymore then! LOL

Lisa.xx
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:02 am
Just Joined

beckywinsper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mum01753
are channel 4 gonna show the update at the end too, i missed this one and would like to know.

Does anyone know when they are gonna show the update ' A new life down under, 1 year on' again
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Sue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the roughSue McK is a jewel in the rough

Hi
If you go to 4 ondemand you can download the episodes that have been shown.
sue
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Iolair will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
But that's not how it's portrayed. They (the producers) have edited to such an extent that stuff they are talking about comes over as being about something else. For example the classic clip of Mandy Skeggs moaning about white hearses - she wasn't, she had been talking about other stuff as well as the hearses and they changed it to make her sound like a constant whinger. And the Rachel Russell being a bitch to the guy she was with, you heard nothing about what he had done and was doing, they had him come across as poor hard done by and treated like shit when in actual fact she was responding to the fact that he was being a total shit 24/7.

Were it a film about their lives unedited then it wouldn't be soap like. As it was, it was, in the main, untrue and therefore became soap like.
'Fraid I have to disagree with you Moneypen on Mandy Skeggs... no amount of editing, good or bad, could have portrayed that creature as anything but a complete cow. She made it plainly obvious every time she opened her mouth that she hated Australia. Of course, that is what the producers concentrated on but they would have not been able to portray that attitude in her unless her underlying feeling for Australia was negative in the first place. On the subject of the 'white hearses' and Mandy Skeggs reaction to it... it displayed simply how uneducated she is and I hope she's made the effort now to find out why certain things are sometimes different in Australia before condemning them out of hand. Perth funeral homes cater for the Chinese and Vietnamese communities there in placing white hearses at their disposal - black having unpropitious connotations in Buddhism. She plainly said "Australian's have no style." Was it skillfull editing? I don't think so. Her constant moaning and complaining must have had the shows producers rubbing their hands in glee.

My heart goes out to Lorraine Singleton though - if there was a 'star' of the show, it was her and I'm glad to know that she is still in Australia and doing the job she loves in working with animals.

Does anyone know if the show was ever shown in Australia?
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Iolair
'Fraid I have to disagree with you Moneypen on Mandy Skeggs... no amount of editing, good or bad, could have portrayed that creature as anything but a complete cow. She made it plainly obvious every time she opened her mouth that she hated Australia. Of course, that is what the producers concentrated on but they would have not been able to portray that attitude in her unless her underlying feeling for Australia was negative in the first place. On the subject of the 'white hearses' and Mandy Skeggs reaction to it... it displayed simply how uneducated she is and I hope she's made the effort now to find out why certain things are sometimes different in Australia before condemning them out of hand. Perth funeral homes cater for the Chinese and Vietnamese communities there in placing white hearses at their disposal - black having unpropitious connotations in Buddhism. She plainly said "Australian's have no style." Was it skillfull editing? I don't think so. Her constant moaning and complaining must have had the shows producers rubbing their hands in glee.

My heart goes out to Lorraine Singleton though - if there was a 'star' of the show, it was her and I'm glad to know that she is still in Australia and doing the job she loves in working with animals.

well i have just finished watching the series - my thoughts - the russells - Michael was not the nicest of blokes but was clearly facing an uphill battle - Rachel russell - well it may have been edited that way, but she definitely came across as an incredibly selfish individual, who didnt discipline the brats and who didnt really respect her bloke. Esme - i thinkwas all that was bad with english kids and the total lack of respect that she had for anyone. the fact that it was always her and the kids vs him tells you something - he didnt stand a chance. The singleton lady - just a bizarre set up - it was explained that she was running away form her hubby, then it turns out he was aussie and her sponsor and then they split up - anyone else pick up that she had that row when she had been out drinking and then drove to a hotel - nice - says more about the woman than any words - the fact that she is willing to drink drive with her kids. the scraggs - she just didnt stop moaning and comparing - felt sorry for the bloke who was trying to give it a go. the taffs in melbourne - fair shout - it was a massive adventure and they were living it to the max. the family in sydney - zena - she was a bit selfish when she was going on about going home then the follow up said she was really enjoying it, but someone said that they have come hom - shame really.

i dont understand why people would want to put themselves under the microscope like that and then moan continually!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:15 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Iolair

Yes. Mandy Skeggs got hate mail and abusive phone calls from Aussies after it was shown. Take a look here for a transcript of an interview she did later on ABC.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by fnord
Yes. Mandy Skeggs got hate mail and abusive phone calls from Aussies after it was shown. Take a look here for a transcript of an interview she did later on ABC.
i would never wish that on anyone - and i know that its editing, but no amount of editing can disguise what has been actually said to camera!!! (unless you are talking about the classic SMith and Jones sketch with teh copper and crim that had been spliced together!)
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:40 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chmaiden
i would never wish that on anyone - and i know that its editing, but no amount of editing can disguise what has been actually said to camera!!! (unless you are talking about the classic SMith and Jones sketch with teh copper and crim that had been spliced together!)
Not disguise what was said, no, but I think it can disguise who the person really is.

My view is that Mandy had a good line in put-downs and producers decided that made for better TV, so they focused on it. Which would have been more likely to have been picked for the programme?:
"Hmm, what a lovely, sunny day"
or
"I could knit a sweater waiting for these lights to change"

Now, if you follow someone like that for 2 weeks or so then edit that down to about 30 minutes of the most "interesting" stuff they said, the result will most certainly be a caricature, and not the complete person. A negative caricature in this case.

Basically, I couldn't say "She's a moaner" based on this TV program. Maybe she is, but I couldn't say so unless I actually knew her.

Oh, and I forgot to add this interview

Last edited by fnord; Jun 1st 2007 at 3:43 pm. Reason: added link
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

sean marie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beckywinsper

Does anyone know when they are gonna show the update ' A new life down under, 1 year on' again
yes 22nd of july
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

beckywinsper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sean marie
yes 22nd of july
Cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:28 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bonnybute
she was so warm, and giving
oh yeh. 4 husbands? she was certainly that.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
oh yeh. 4 husbands? she was certainly that.
She's on 5 last count!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:39 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Remember all these families had their experiences heavily edited to portray them as the TV producers requires, in other words to make good TV.
Of course they did, but Rachel Russell and her ***** ***** of a daughter still did and said the things millions of viewers saw. I've just read the hard cow's attempt to try and make herself look better, but despite mischievous editing the camera never lies.

If editing was solely to blame for Rachel/Esmie Russell and Mandy Skegg's portrayal, why were the other families not portrayed as such hard, loud obnoxious pigs?

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 3rd 2007 at 11:54 am. Reason: language
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can I remind posters on this thread that they are talking about real people, some of whom are members of this forum. Personal abuse of the kind in the last few posts will not be tolerated.
If you wish to continue discussing the programme please do it without the insults, otherwise I shall have no option but to close the thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.