Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ping pong pomes that cant settle!

ping pong pomes that cant settle!

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ping pong pomes that cant settle!

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I can remember complaining bitterly that the plug sockets were too small and blaiming the entire country as result.

The power board spacings cause me issues, not the actual single sockets.
I find that you just have to be orderly in the way you plug in and line up certain plugs (and not use the big adaptors!)
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davesax
I think missing your own family in the UK is a small sacrifice compared to the lifestyle that you know is waiting for your children and husband when you move back .

:

Perhaps having family around is part of the lifestyle she wants.

Perhaps she does not feel that the lifestyle is so superior here that it makes up for it. Many people feel that both countries have pros and cons.

I feel sorry for children being ping ponged around as they are generally the ones who have no control over the situation.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

You're right Bermuda but the UK is in a sorry state at the moment and i'd rather my boys were on surf boards or in the pool , than in front of screens ten months of the year
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

loubie will become famous soon enough

Thank you for sharing your exeriences, it is interesting to hear.....! This is with the exception of Dave sax, who i believe is my partner, who writes with some biase towards AUS! However Dave sax if you worked full time this time, you may view Aus in a different light!!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubie
Thank you for sharing your exeriences, it is interesting to hear.....! This is with the exception of Dave sax, who i believe is my partner, who writes with some biase towards AUS! However Dave sax if you worked full time this time, you may view Aus in a different light!!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubie
Haha -busted!!

Men eh
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You're right Bermuda but the UK is in a sorry state at the moment and i'd rather my boys were on surf boards or in the pool , than in front of screens ten months of the year
I think you'll find that your kids sit in front of a screen for 10 months a year because you allow them to. They are not suddenly going to become "outdoorsy" or give up TV & video games because you move country. If you don't want your boys sitting in front of screens for 10 months of the year in UK then get them off their bums and outside doing something!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorothy
get them off their bums and outside doing something!
Have you seen the weather forcast for the UK lately?
Our two are very sporty having grown up in Aus and have struggled to have the opportunites they used to .
You're right though , I must remember to tighten the parental control settings on the xbox ,
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Our two are very sporty having grown up in Aus and have struggled to have the opportunites they used to .
You're right though , I must remember to tighten the parental control settings on the xbox ,
Far easier to rug up and do something outside in the cold than when the sweat rolls off you and you hesitate to go outside for fear of your skin being burned off (exaggeration, I know, but have you ever accidentally missed a bit with the sunscreen for half an hour?!!) I saw far more spontaneous community activity outside (riding bikes, running, walking the dog etc) when I was in UK Oct/Nov than I do around here in the summer time - weird or what?!

My experience of young Aussies is that they spend just as much time in front of a screen in airconditioned comfort as you imply their UK counterparts do in front of a heater. Very rarely see kids playing in the street around here - mums and dads tend to take the easy options and at least if the kid is inside it isnt being abducted or run over. It definitely is a matter of parental control!

For many, it isnt so much "homesickness" as a lack of sense of "belonging". Often not as simplistic as missing family so much as missing being a "whole" person and feeling alien every day of your life despite all positive self talk and tricks to the contrary. Personally I think the lifestyle here is very below par for me and my interests as well it might be for the OP.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Six months in and I do think people are sportier and more likely to do outdoors stuff here. Loads of my colleagues do sport every lunchtime and I see several of those big packs of cyclists every morning, at the weekend there seems to be loads of outdoor activities for the children.

But if you and your family don't go outside for ten months in the year in the UK then the problem lies with you, not the UK.

If I consider the last six months of weather I have experienced since I moved to Australia and compare it to the UK, I can categorically state that I find the UK weather better. It seems to be more predictable and it simply does not have the frequent and heavy rainfall that I have experienced here.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 2:13 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen the forecast for Perth lately? In the 30's with extreme UV index. Or the forecast for Qld? http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/

Why are they struggling to find things to do? Are there no indoor arenas where they could swim or play sport indoors when the weather outside is shit?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

The weather in Perth today is horrible. Not as hot, but extremely humid. Hopefully the breeze will turn cool later, but for the moment we have doors and windows closed. For the first time in almost 4 years living in this house, we've brought the fans downstairs and put them on. The kids are playing on their Nintendos, OH is watching the cricket and I'm on here. It's too hot to go for a walk. We will be in and out of the pool all day. Great (if you have a pool) when it's a public holiday or school holiday, but not nice when you're working.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 2:40 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by HelenTD
The weather in Perth today is horrible. Not as hot, but extremely humid. Hopefully the breeze will turn cool later, but for the moment we have doors and windows closed. For the first time in almost 4 years living in this house, we've brought the fans downstairs and put them on. The kids are playing on their Nintendos, OH is watching the cricket and I'm on here. It's too hot to go for a walk. We will be in and out of the pool all day. Great (if you have a pool) when it's a public holiday or school holiday, but not nice when you're working.
Absolutely. I walk from RPH to the train at 4 every day. Not too much fun when it's 40° walking in the blazing sun.

Since it's too hot to go out today my daughter has asked me to take her for a driving lesson. Anyone in Perth's north is advised to stay off the roads this afternoon.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I had to some ironing today.I lasted fifteen minutes efore I had to have a sit down.Im now going to monitor each piece of clothing before it goes in to the wash basket.It has to be minging before it goes in and underware is to be turned inside out and worn again.New year ,new rules.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:05 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
It is awful, I hardly slept last night and woke up with what I call a 'bad weather head' - really felt heavy headed and hungover except without the alcohol. Puffy eyes, bad headache - I was praying for a storm.

It isnt much better tonight either, even my dog doesnt want a walk - I think I am going to have a cold shower.

Does anyone know if a storm is on the way? A nice big fat thunderstorm to clear the air.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.