Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ping Pong anyone?

Ping Pong anyone?

Old Aug 4th 2015, 1:51 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ping Pong anyone?

Im currently living in the Scottish Highlands near Aviemore. Winter seems to be rain, wind or snow or all 3. Summer seems to be rain and wind. Average temps for the last few weeks, around 15-16 during the day and has been as cold as 4 at night. I think I have hung washing out 3 times so far this year and that is not an exaggeration. My kids try to spend as much time outdoors as they can but it is hard, I know it can be too hot in Australia but I remember spending more time outside than we are doing here.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sasha Fierce
I lived in Scotland before coming to Aus and don't agree you can have the same amount of outdoor time in UK as you do here.
Where I lived it rained about 48 weeks of the year, the summer lasted a week and that was on a good year. My kids did go outside in the rain but nobody will ever convince me that being outdoors in the rain is a good experience. Also, looking out the window, day in and day out, and seeing grey miserable weather really gets you down.

I love the weather here. Yes, the summer is hot but that's what your pools for Spring and Autumn are best. Even today, in the winter I look out my office window and its sunny, cold but sunny.

Down South get better weather in the summer than Scotland but even that doesn't last long.

So there is my tuppence worth
Strangely enough the majority of people don't have pools......
Old Aug 4th 2015, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Sasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really nice

Yeah that's true, only a couple of our friends have pools.

Plenty of community outdoor pools though.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I love the Highlands, also the Lake District but I would not live there simply because of the weather, every time we have ever visited it just throws it down lol I suppose that's why those areas are so lush and green, they have spectacular scenery. If the weather is so important to you have you thought another country instead of Australia? but then again if its just the weather that is important to you then the hot mainly dry weather in Australia sounds right for you. Good luck
Old Aug 5th 2015, 4:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that's true, only a couple of our friends have pools.

Plenty of community outdoor pools though.
Guess so, in some areas.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Scotland before coming to Aus and don't agree you can have the same amount of outdoor time in UK as you do here.
Where I lived it rained about 48 weeks of the year, the summer lasted a week and that was on a good year. My kids did go outside in the rain but nobody will ever convince me that being outdoors in the rain is a good experience. Also, looking out the window, day in and day out, and seeing grey miserable weather really gets you down.
You lived in Scotland though, hugely different climate to southern UK for example. So you can't say that you can't 'have the same amount of outdoor time in UK', as you absolutely can if you live somewhere drier. I'm in the South East of England and we've had 3 days with any rain in in the past 6 weeks.

My kids are outside pretty much every day of the year, but we're in one of the driest parts of the UK.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 10:18 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You lived in Scotland though, hugely different climate to southern UK for example.
Even in Scotland, the east coast gets half the rain that Glasgow gets.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Sasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really niceSasha Fierce is just really nice

Its not just the rain for me though. Its the 10 months of the year (and Im being generous here) living with dark grey skies.

I don't miss that at all.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just the rain for me though. Its the 10 months of the year (and Im being generous here) living with dark grey skies.

Grey skies get me down. The repetitive weeks on end of them in the UK is the pits.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 12:07 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You lived in Scotland though, hugely different climate to southern UK for example.
I was going to say that if I was to move to the UK it would be to settle on the south coast.

It will never compete with QLD in terms of climate, but it has got everything else going for it.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Golly, I'm glad I don't live where you were! Come to Cambridgeshire, we have fabulous variety, rarely dark grey for more than the odd day! It did rain last night though, which was great, we haven't had enough this year!
Old Aug 6th 2015, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Come to the North West, even that is a huge improvement on where your living and that's saying something lol, seriously though you have to pick and choose where you live if you can for how you enjoy living/lifestyle that you want to live, ie I could never live in Cairns or other parts of Queensland because of the humidity and lack of things to do after a few weeks of staying there, I found the Northern Territories to be the either hot and wet or humid and dry, we settled in the North West of England for now mainly because of our DS's University but as soon as they finish we will be heading down south...why? well as much as we love the countryside and enjoy being in the "North" we would like a different area and climate so the South is where we will look but if I am honest if the weather anywhere was fab but we found it lacked other things that would drive us mad eventually.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Strangely enough the majority of people don't have pools......
Probably because of the prohibitively high fencing costs.

I have a blow up fish pond. It doesn't require a fence.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

hereorthere is an unknown quantity at this point

oh that would be me! we spent 8 years in Perth and moved back to the UK 2 years ago. I'm seriously considering moving back in November, I've already reapplied for my old job of which they are happy to have me back.....thank goodness

So reasons why we left....husband hated it....totally affected his mental health....although he hasn't been a whole lot better in the UK either. I didn't mind Australia...work is certainly alot better for me there but I am equally at home in the UK. The weather here doesn't affect me, we are living in beautiful Devon but I do have ginger skin and tend to burn easily so needless to say that i tend to avoid the sun in Aus.

A big bug bear for me is that my son is still living in Perth and it breaks my heart that i'm so far away from him. i know i know that i can't follow him around like a puppy but i do feel too far away from him.

So my dilemma is stay in the UK and continue to work for the NHS with rubbish wages and the possiblity of not being able to see my son often or not being able to own my own home or go back to Aus for a few yearsand see how things pan out???? Decisions decisions
Old Aug 9th 2015, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereorthere
oh that would be me! we spent 8 years in Perth and moved back to the UK 2 years ago. I'm seriously considering moving back in November, I've already reapplied for my old job of which they are happy to have me back.....thank goodness

So reasons why we left....husband hated it....totally affected his mental health....although he hasn't been a whole lot better in the UK either. I didn't mind Australia...work is certainly alot better for me there but I am equally at home in the UK. The weather here doesn't affect me, we are living in beautiful Devon but I do have ginger skin and tend to burn easily so needless to say that i tend to avoid the sun in Aus.

A big bug bear for me is that my son is still living in Perth and it breaks my heart that i'm so far away from him. i know i know that i can't follow him around like a puppy but i do feel too far away from him.

So my dilemma is stay in the UK and continue to work for the NHS with rubbish wages and the possiblity of not being able to see my son often or not being able to own my own home or go back to Aus for a few yearsand see how things pan out???? Decisions decisions
If you have a job lined up, then why not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.