Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ping pom confused UK>Perth>UK>Perth>Melbourne>UK?

Ping pom confused UK>Perth>UK>Perth>Melbourne>UK?

Old Aug 24th 2014, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping pom confused UK>Perth>UK>Perth>Melbourne>UK?

Originally Posted by verystormy
Since my post has caused some debate, let me clarify.

Last last ashes series, there were a number of big screens erected in places for people to watch. One of these was on Mandurah foreshore. A stunning place on the grass next to the water. It was the only time I have been nearly arrested!

We decided what better than to get a great picnic from a luxury deli - th big wicker ones and spend the afternoon watching the test on the screen in Mandurah.

So off we went, picnic, rug and a bottle of wine.

We were a bit surprised to find we were the only ones watching, but happy to spend a livelly day. Or we were until plod came over. Without a word, he grabed our bottle of wine and roughly threatened us with arrest / prosecution for drinking in public and I should know drinking in public was an offense.

Now, we are a middle aged professional couple enjoying a glass of wine. So, I asked, that isn't it an officers job to apply discretion and common sence. He simply said no. My reply was that that must be because he is too fat, stupid and incompetent then. He wasn't happy. Oh, and while this was going on, there was a massive brawl only meters away in the pub. But he turned a blind eye to that (because too fat, lazy stupid and cowardly).

So, WA has no shortage of pathetic rules.

Not sure what would happen in Victoria if you were to do that, I think the police would treat you a little better. I know why the cops in WA carry on about Alcohol in public though. Probably better off finding out via the cops, than the real reason the WA cops are Nazi like in their approach. There have been quite a few well publicised deaths over those outside alcohol encounters involving ordinary mind their own business family groups, especially in WA.

NYE outside in Melbourne used to be a no go area for families at night time, uptil about 10 years ago when they brought these anti alcohol laws in.... Very different to the Chaos outdoor drinking throughout the year causes in WA though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 24th 2014 at 2:38 am.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ping/pom....Just say...read my post on..?thinking of going back to the UK

Once you leave the UK..or OZ...life will never be entirely complete again...You have to learn to sort the wheat from the chaff...and LET GO......lol

Forgot to say on that last post....that I decided to live in Portugal (Algarve) as final. destination...Having travelled the world..for me it has the perfect climate...better than California...WHY...Its not the no 1 destination for Europes restless sun seekers I don't know?....well I do...It was a dictatorship up until 1973...takes time to re-build.---but I predict good things for this place once the youth can be persuaded to stay...and more importantly foreign money builds jobs...No need to make those awful decisions about moving to Oz then...At the moment its a dream in the sun...lol..Good luck with your choice
Old Aug 24th 2014, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I read it as referring to the big screens set up sometimes in parks etc to show major events, outside of the stadium. Alcohol os banned from many events like that. Picnics in the park for things like Riverfire, no you can't even have one beer while relaxing with mates. Watch the fireworks at New Year? Heaven forbid you should want a drink by the river then!
Polly go along the river at Lower River Tce...I see groups having big river fire gatherings with their own eskies and the works along there. One family/friends group even set a a marquee and roped it off as a private function
Old Aug 26th 2014, 9:08 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Christ you have to be drunk to watch aussie sports,mental torture if sober
Old Aug 26th 2014, 12:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Christ you have to be drunk to watch aussie sports,mental torture if sober
Pooh.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave99
Hiya
I have been a bit of a ping pommer and need some help. I just lived a year in Melbourne and hated it, absolutely hated the city lifestyle. Now I have just flown back to the UK, which I thought would be my final move...but... as I have started looking for work and catching up with family I have started to think about going back to Perth.

I have become increasingly frustrated with silly english rules, although I love hearing english accents and feel like I fit in more here I look around and see..

1. low wages when theres big demands for qualifications
2. bad weather, but this goes without saying and isnt a big deal
3. silly rules and laws, as if common sense no longer has any place in england
4. companies that dont look after employees but instead treat them like disposable slaves. This is perhaps the biggest factor. I think of how well I was valued and looked after in Perth, I think of all the people I worked with who became friends.
5. I guess when I walk around the UK I think the Perth quality of life just seems better, theres more opportunity's.

I am struggling. Its a big desicon which I have to make quickly. Right now I could tell people I left melb and visited family then came back to Perth but if I took a job for 6 months it would be a different situation and tricky to explain.

So help out a ping pommer, what should I do, will I ever be able to feel settled

All of those things you list are true for here in Oz too. For example Austilia have terrible employment relations, some of the worst work place conditions in the western world. It sound that you are unsettled, and sadly this isn't about location.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 4:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam&molly
For example Austilia have terrible employment relations, some of the worst work place conditions in the western world
Rubbish

Australia's employment laws/red tape are stacked heavily in favour of employees. Unions have a disproportionate influence on employers. Salaries are among the highest in the western world and the minimum wage is the highest - and add to this compulsory penalty rates etc
Old Sep 1st 2014, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Rubbish

Australia's employment laws/red tape are stacked heavily in favour of employees. Unions have a disproportionate influence on employers. Salaries are among the highest in the western world and the minimum wage is the highest - and add to this compulsory penalty rates etc
Simply bollocks I'm afraid. Aussies have the lowest paid holidays and sick leave entitlements in the western world. Even worse than the USA. The working week is much longer in Oz than the UK. There is a higher rates of employee bullying in the western world and penalty rates have been reduced. And it is even worse if you are female. When comparing salaries you have to take into account the extra costs of healthcare and children's eduction.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 5:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Aussies have the lowest paid holidays and sick leave entitlements in the western world. Even worse than the USA.
I'd love to see some facts to back that up!
Old Sep 1st 2014, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Simply bollocks I'm afraid. Aussies have the lowest paid holidays and sick leave entitlements in the western world. Even worse than the USA. The working week is much longer in Oz than the UK. There is a higher rates of employee bullying in the western world and penalty rates have been reduced. And it is even worse if you are female. When comparing salaries you have to take into account the extra costs of healthcare and children's eduction.
I have no idea how this compares but here is my current situation which I believe a are stock standard Australian employment guides.

Lowest paid holidays???? My pay stays the same when I take holiday's, though I only get a tiny 20 days (boooooo). I'm sure 20 days would trump the USA though.

I've amassed over 30 days of sick days. No idea how that compares to the rest of the world. I rarely take sick days but its good to know there are 30 of them if needed.

I am contracted to work 37.5 hours a week.

Penalty Rates - what are they?

Healthcare - its free isn't it?

Children"s Education - is it free? I do not know?
Old Sep 1st 2014, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'd love to see some facts to back that up!
Compare Aussie entitlements to https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 5:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ping pom confused UK>Perth>UK>Perth>Melbourne>UK?

You were comparing with the USA, not the UK.

So this link is irrelevant.

BB
Old Sep 1st 2014, 5:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

...and the bit about the USA?
Old Sep 1st 2014, 5:20 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ping pom confused UK>Perth>UK>Perth>Melbourne>UK?

Originally Posted by Beoz
I have no idea how this compares but here is my current situation which I believe a are stock standard Australian employment guides.

Lowest paid holidays???? My pay stays the same when I take holiday's, though I only get a tiny 20 days (boooooo). I'm sure 20 days would trump the USA though.
Same here, but I take an additional 20 days unpaid (comes off gross salary), making 40 in total plus 9 public holidays.

I've amassed over 30 days of sick days. No idea how that compares to the rest of the world. I rarely take sick days but its good to know there are 30 of them if needed.
I've amassed 35, plus I can take an extra YEAR off fully paid if I need to, every 2 years! This I think must be unusual anywhere in the world,

Me too.

Something wait staff get.

Yes, we've never paid for it, not even for GP visits.

Not really free - you have to pay about $1000 per child for stuff.

BB
Old Sep 1st 2014, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Check out 6105.0 - Australian Labour Market Statistics, Oct 2010 most folk end up working more than their contacted hours for many Aussies (me included) this is not paid. I work on average 50 hours a week.

Education isn't free there are many hidden costs on my latest tax claim $1800 for additional education costs.

No health care isn't free. I've just paid $484 for a series of blood tests and an X-ray. The wait list for the public health is much longer than the UK and it you opt out of the private system you are taxed to buggery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.