Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Phone line MDF jumpering Brisbane HELP

Phone line MDF jumpering Brisbane HELP

Old Mar 17th 2015, 7:08 am
Just Joined

brittoaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Phone line MDF jumpering Brisbane HELP

I've just recently moved to Brisbane, Australia and ordered TPG internet connection and have waited around 2 weeks to install my internet connection. Anyway, after I've waited patiently for my TPG telephone technician to arrive they never called to say they were coming, so I called the company after I heard from nobody all day and they said the ADSL technician had already came to my Brisbane apartment and connected my internet. I replied, "I've been inside my apartment all day waiting and nobody has turned up". This indian lady refused and told me he had come to my property. Anyway after 1 hour on the phone to this company I've got completely nowhere. She advised to plug my modem into the phone socket and wait for the SYNC light. THERE IS NONE!

After all that, the TPG internet consultant advised that I had a line fault and had to get an MDF jumpering technician to visit my apartment and the current wait time for a TPG technician in Brisbane is 2 weeks! I cannot wait two weeks. I've never heard of this bollocks before in my life. Then she advised I could get a contractor around to my home to complete the <<<snip>>> MDF jumpering Brisbane[/URL] area and get my internet connection sorted. So basically, I'm being forced to pay extra for this MDF whatever it is fee. Which I don't know what it is, a box or something in my basement and feeling trapped but can't wait any longer.

Now my options are I can;
1. Cancel my internet connection (well it's not working anyway)
2. Wait two weeks for a telephone technician to arrive at my apartment.
3. Get a ADSL contractor installer in to fix my MDF jumper.
4. Choose another internet provider like Optus, Telstra or DoDo.

What should I do please?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 17th 2015 at 12:14 pm. Reason: Link removed...looks a little spammy for a first post
Old Mar 17th 2015, 10:51 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone line MDF jumpering Brisbane HELP

Originally Posted by brittoaus
I've just recently moved to Brisbane, Australia and ordered TPG internet connection and have waited around 2 weeks to install my internet connection. Anyway, after I've waited patiently for my TPG telephone technician to arrive they never called to say they were coming, so I called the company after I heard from nobody all day and they said the ADSL technician had already came to my Brisbane apartment and connected my internet. I replied, "I've been inside my apartment all day waiting and nobody has turned up". This indian lady refused and told me he had come to my property. Anyway after 1 hour on the phone to this company I've got completely nowhere. She advised to plug my modem into the phone socket and wait for the SYNC light. THERE IS NONE!

After all that, the TPG internet consultant advised that I had a line fault and had to get an MDF jumpering technician to visit my apartment and the current wait time for a TPG technician in Brisbane is 2 weeks! I cannot wait two weeks. I've never heard of this bollocks before in my life. Then she advised I could get a contractor around to my home to complete the MDF jumpering Brisbane area and get my internet connection sorted. So basically, I'm being forced to pay extra for this MDF whatever it is fee. Which I don't know what it is, a box or something in my basement and feeling trapped but can't wait any longer.

Now my options are I can;
1. Cancel my internet connection (well it's not working anyway)
2. Wait two weeks for a telephone technician to arrive at my apartment.
3. Get a ADSL contractor installer in to fix my MDF jumper.
4. Choose another internet provider like Optus, Telstra or DoDo.

What should I do please?
Can't honestly advise what to do as I do not have ADSL (never liked it) and it was going to cost me $300, FFS, for a Telstra tech "to come to where I live'...yeh right..... and tell me that I have a telephone line cable installed that blind Freddy can see is there........thank God I have a laptop and WiFi, but if all else fails, talk to the Telecommunications Ombudsman https://www.tio.com.au/consumers/typ...ints-we-handle

Last edited by The Bloke; Mar 17th 2015 at 10:54 am.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:16 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

they said the ADSL technician had already came to my Brisbane apartment and connected my internet. I replied, .... had to get an MDF jumpering technician to visit my apartment and the current wait time for a TPG technician in Brisbane is 2 weeks!
Welcome to the incompetence and stupidity that is aussie customer service.

Basically the muppets will deliver a service up to a point centralised for the apartments, and then leave it to you to sort out the jumper to connect to the wiring that goes to your house.

Only they actually will do the complete job, but only if they charge you extra. It's 15 seconds to do the right job first time.

Quickest is to pay for some local muppet to do the jumper. Personally I think they should be jailed for this sharp practice (eg they are NOT fully installing it) but as I say, welcome to the incompetence of aussie customer service that think that pissing off the customer first thing over a job that takes 15 seconds is a good idea....

People hate TPG.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Just to give you an update. I've rang the <snip>MDF jumpering<snip> company and they asked me to call my building manager and let them know that a 3rd party tech (eg. not the TPG one) will arrive this afternoon to check my internet. The building manager replied, "Don't go scheduling technicians to attend without our prior consent". WTF! So basically, I've got to get consent before a phone line is installed, and then make the MDF people wait on them? Arse about face. I thought the building management is suppose to be there for me, this manager has a bad attitude, he could have seriously been nice about it, there's no reason why he couldn't have.

Anyway, after a 5 minutes of him throwing around his AUTHORITY, he said it's fine for this afternoon BUT DON"T DO IT AGAIN!!! Anyway, I'll let you know if my internet FINALLY does get connected. If it doesn't get connected today. I'm cancelling TPG, I cannot stand this. Mind you, I've already waited for 2 weeks which is more than plenty in my books.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Mar 18th 2015 at 6:46 am. Reason: Link removed as looks spammy
Old Mar 18th 2015, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Did I just write something and not appear?
Old Mar 18th 2015, 12:12 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. The MDF is the Main Distribution Frame which is usually found in the Main Switchboard or Basement area in Apartment Blocks. The telecom company will have a multi-pair cable that comes into the MDF and is terminated there. From the same frame, each apartment will have a one pair cable which goes off into the building structure and appears in your apartment as a telephone socket.

It should just be a case of getting an electrical contractor or your body corporate maintenance man to connect the two together at the MDF, this is called jumpering and is just two wires linking the incoming cable to your apartment cable.

The telecom technician should have written the details of which incoming pair in a record book located next to the MDF. He may also have left a paper tag hanging from the MDF pair with the service details and your phone number on it. The book should also have your apartment cable identified in it, so that the two can be jumpered together easily. The jumpers are normally red and white twisted wires.

The MDF usually comprises a series of white coloured plastic terminations called Krone Blocks numbered 1-10 along the front of each row. These numbers will correspond to entries in the record book. See your Building Manager / Body coroprate person, they should know what to do. Good Luck.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 1:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Did I just write something and not appear?
As you are a new member...your post has been held back by our auto spam filter for approval.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As you are a new member...your post has been held back by our auto spam filter for approval.
Bollocks! What a waste of time writing. I'm too scared to write many paragraphs again, takes me a while to type.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 6:47 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Bollocks! What a waste of time writing. I'm too scared to write many paragraphs again, takes me a while to type.
Anything with a link in gets filtered.

FYI - I removed the link as it was unnecessary and does look spammy.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The posts will appear, you just have to give us time to approve them. And the more posts you make, the more you become an established member and then the filter won't stop your posts at all, they will appear straight away. Having the filter in place prevents several hundred really spammy posts appreearing some days, thats way we have it
Old Mar 19th 2015, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to total incompetence! And more importantly where you have to be licenced to be able to be so incompetent! Feel for you.

We moved in to a house in Sydney where all we wanted was a new phone number, i.e. so we didn't receive calls meant for the old owners. Over 3 days no less than 6 'technicians' from Telstra and Optus turned up all with different work sheets and different instructions, everything from disconnection to installing multiple new business phone lines!

then we moved to another house and arranged phone line and internet through Optus. They told us what our new number would be, so we wrote letters to all our friends in UK with the new details. He turned up and did the install, all OK. After two hours it all stopped working, so they came back and re-connected it, but told us that the phone number was now invalid and could only give us a new different one!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 8:25 am
Just Joined

There's got to be a simpler way. Honestly, there seems to be a total disconnection in between providers/tele staff/customers, and honestly we don't have any clue and I don't think they do. Sure there must be a simple process sheet somewhere for all this utter chaos.

Still my internet connection is wait, I called the 3rd party technician out to my place and he couldn't find the TAG at the MDF? Who knows, I am so depressed right now. I've had to call the provider and get the provider technician back out to tag the MDF. Best thing is the company I hired didn't charge me as long as I called them to come back and do the jumper again, honestly really nice of them. At least there are decent people/companies in this world not trying to rip us all off.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Oz, bet they didn't tell you this bit on WDU