Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Petroleum Open Learning anyone done this?

Petroleum Open Learning anyone done this?

Old May 22nd 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Petroleum Open Learning anyone done this?

I hopefully be moving to perth australia next year after having had my visa a few years,i am a pipe fitter by trade and fancy having more options as in what jobs i could get or be offered by doing a Petroleum Open Learning course to become a production operator.
Is there anyone on here thans do this course and what did they think of it,was it hard or very easy to do,and was it worth the money,did anyone that did this get a job from it?

Is there much work in perth,australia,fifo ,offshore etc etc for this sort of work and what would the money be like.
I just fancy a career change and was thinking of doing this courses which can take 10-12 months,its costly but maybe worth it when done if offered a job at the end of it.
I can always do my other job if i dont fancy it but was wondering if anyone had done this course in uk?
I am told that it can be used in oz also and can also be done while still in oz or anywhere in world.
I dont wanna go away and purchase my first module,until i can find some info feedback on this and what other thought or did of it.
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:17 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petroleum Open Learning anyone done this?

Originally Posted by brian.w
I hopefully be moving to perth australia next year after having had my visa a few years,i am a pipe fitter by trade and fancy having more options as in what jobs i could get or be offered by doing a Petroleum Open Learning course to become a production operator.
Is there anyone on here thans do this course and what did they think of it,was it hard or very easy to do,and was it worth the money,did anyone that did this get a job from it?

Is there much work in perth,australia,fifo ,offshore etc etc for this sort of work and what would the money be like.
I just fancy a career change and was thinking of doing this courses which can take 10-12 months,its costly but maybe worth it when done if offered a job at the end of it.
I can always do my other job if i dont fancy it but was wondering if anyone had done this course in uk?
I am told that it can be used in oz also and can also be done while still in oz or anywhere in world.
I dont wanna go away and purchase my first module,until i can find some info feedback on this and what other thought or did of it.
The oil and gas industry in WA is very much a case of who you know. Personally I think it would be pointless. I think you should come here, get any job you can and learn the business here. Just because you know the way it is done in Scotland doesn't mean jack shit here. You need to be here. This is just my opinion of course.
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:50 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
This is just my opinion of course.
Might be helpful if you let the OP know what your opinion is based on. My opinions are usually based on half-overheard pub conversations and tarot readings. Yours might be a bit more informed.
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:57 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Might be helpful if you let the OP know what your opinion is based on. My opinions are usually based on half-overheard pub conversations and tarot readings. Yours might be a bit more informed.
I'd be impressed if my opinions were as well informed as that

Mine are all wholly based on sheer bloodymindedness and general ignorance. I find it's a winning combination.
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:09 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
My husband being in the same industry.
Old May 30th 2010, 3:16 am
Just Joined

awmac1 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=northernbird;8583738]My husband being in the same industry.[/]

<snip>

The POL is ok to give you an introduction to the subject but what companies are actually actively looking for now is the Certificate IV in Process Plant Technology. A couple of links below. They can be done online as well as face-to-face.

(I have been in the Industry for 25 years and now in a senior management role therefore I feel qualified to give an opinion).

http://www.challenger.wa.edu.au/Site...T8pp_Jan_w.pdf

http://www.hotcourses.com.au/austral...rsedetail.html

Best of luck!

Last edited by Sue; May 30th 2010 at 11:16 am. Reason: Comment removed - no need for that ;)
Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

OilDigger is an unknown quantity at this point

The POL is a good course and the industry standard for the North sea, it will give you a good understanding of offshore operational principles. However unless you can get some hands on operational experience it's worth very little to you.

As for work in Australia, well that's a different matter. For better or worse they have there own standards for everything here and no clear path to what you need to have.

Personally I have 18 years offshore experience with a trade background, 8 years production operations experience with a multinational operator. HNC, NVQ3 and POL and I can't get jack here in Western Australia.

maybe it is who you know? it may be many things but I know for sure you will be spending cash before you get anywhere here, that goes with most occupations and don't expect any of your UK / European certs to be recognised as most aren't. Luckily your UKOOA offshore cert will be but that may be about it.

You may just get lucky, right place right time and all that it does happen. Just be prepared for lots of frustration and maybe take the advice and do the CERT IV instead of POL.

Good luck.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by OilDigger
The POL is a good course and the industry standard for the North sea, it will give you a good understanding of offshore operational principles. However unless you can get some hands on operational experience it's worth very little to you.

As for work in Australia, well that's a different matter. For better or worse they have there own standards for everything here and no clear path to what you need to have.

Personally I have 18 years offshore experience with a trade background, 8 years production operations experience with a multinational operator. HNC, NVQ3 and POL and I can't get jack here in Western Australia.

maybe it is who you know? it may be many things but I know for sure you will be spending cash before you get anywhere here, that goes with most occupations and don't expect any of your UK / European certs to be recognised as most aren't. Luckily your UKOOA offshore cert will be but that may be about it.

You may just get lucky, right place right time and all that it does happen. Just be prepared for lots of frustration and maybe take the advice and do the CERT IV instead of POL.

Good luck.
So does not look like a good idea then,what is CERT IV.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=awmac1;8598840]
Originally Posted by northernbird
My husband being in the same industry.[/]

<snip>

The POL is ok to give you an introduction to the subject but what companies are actually actively looking for now is the Certificate IV in Process Plant Technology. A couple of links below. They can be done online as well as face-to-face.

(I have been in the Industry for 25 years and now in a senior management role therefore I feel qualified to give an opinion).

http://www.challenger.wa.edu.au/Site...T8pp_Jan_w.pdf

http://www.hotcourses.com.au/austral...rsedetail.html

Best of luck!
This is the Cert IV links left by AWMAC1, personally I don't know much about it, but the links should give you the information you need.

I have just stumbled accross this organisation over the last few days who will convert qualifications.

http://www.trainingwa.wa.gov.au/care...&tab=Main#toc6

I'm going to send all my certs in here, including my POL city and guilds, and see what comes back. It does take a while but I'll post the outcome.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=OilDigger;8615390]
Originally Posted by awmac1

This is the Cert IV links left by AWMAC1, personally I don't know much about it, but the links should give you the information you need.

I have just stumbled accross this organisation over the last few days who will convert qualifications.

I'm going to send all my certs in here, including my POL city and guilds, and see what comes back. It does take a while but I'll post the outcome.
What can these do for me?

As posted on here,i have already my pr visa and have once worked in oz in my trade as a pipefitter and was wondering what these guys would do,i have trade papers and a svq,which is the same as nvq,is that not something australia uses or would i need to convert some of my trade papers for oz,as i see this is free why not get them done,i dont think i would have trouble getting work there and could have been there on a job over 12 months ago and was told by the employer i could have been still on that same job,but i not moved yet so just wondering if this would be any good to me with my papers.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=OilDigger;8615390]

So is this Certificate IV in Process Plant Technology course a oz thing or uk as well,i thought pol was the way to go but by the sounds of it i would be wasting my money on it?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Brian

Yes, I think it's not the best use of your cash if you're coming 'down under'. The Cert IV (which actually starts at a very basic Cert II) is definitely best. If you look under any of the Production Technician positions on seek.com.au for example, most will ask for this.

Let me know if you need any more info and I will see if I can help...

Cheers

Alan
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Brian,

Your original post was guided towards info on POL and a career change here in Oz.

I'm giving you my experience since arriving here in February with a offshore production background, with experience and qualifications.

As stated the Australians for good or bad have their own qualification or certification for almost everything and firmly beleive their system is the best, meaning most of what we bring from the UK and Europe is worth jack here, this is not only across trades but also those with professional qualifications.

The OQU may be able to convert UK quals to Australian and save some time back at colledge, they are part of AEI-NOOSR, who if you follow their links will charge you A$ to convert your qualifications, this includes SNVQ's.

There are projects under way now that I'm sure will get you a start as pipefitter, this may in time allow you an opertunity for a career change. But even as a pipefitter you will need a white card and possibly a MSIC plus maybe other certification for the job.

The work cycles are pretty grim also, 4 weeks away and 1 at home are the common, offshore is much better if you can get a start. 2 and 1 is usual for the mines. The Uk offshore has certainly spoilt me for leave cycles, conditions and pay.

I put my POL in with OQU today, along with my SNVQ level 3 and HNC, when I get the repy I'll post the outcome and let you know what if anything they are worth in the Australian system.

The jobs market is pretty keen here at the momment, so if you check the ads you will see they often ask for you to have all your tickets to be considered, it's certainly an employers market at present for Oil and Gas.

Another factor with many of these issues is that you can only apply for them when you get here.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do Brian.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Good advice from Oildigger, however can I add a few things:

1. MISC which stands for Maritime Security ID Card is very straight-forward and is basically just to check you're not a mad Muslim suicide bomber, so hopefully no dramas there!

2. I started off around the same as you as an Instument Tech from Aberdeen, my qualifications were easily translated into an Electrical Fitter (Instruments) certificate. I also met the criteria for a Restricted Electrical License.

3. I would seriously doubt you will be without work for long.

4. Not sure about the rosters from Oildigger, I am used to either 3 & 3 with holidays or 3 & 3, 3 & 6 although the WORST I know about in O&G is 2 & 2 with no holidays (but handsome pay to compensate!). The new construction projects are probably more along the rosters as mentioned and certainly mining is to try and steer clear and stick with O&G.

4. As Oildigger says, come out and do your own trade for a while and take it from there, there is a VAST amount of work coming up but just be aware that Australia (& especially WA) has become a VERY expensive place to stay in.

Cheers!

A
Old Jun 9th 2010, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Good advice from Oildigger, however can I add a few things:

1. MISC which stands for Maritime Security ID Card is very straight-forward and is basically just to check you're not a mad Muslim suicide bomber, so hopefully no dramas there!

2. I started off around the same as you as an Instument Tech from Aberdeen, my qualifications were easily translated into an Electrical Fitter (Instruments) certificate. I also met the criteria for a Restricted Electrical License.

3. I would seriously doubt you will be without work for long.

4. Not sure about the rosters from Oildigger, I am used to either 3 & 3 with holidays or 3 & 3, 3 & 6 although the WORST I know about in O&G is 2 & 2 with no holidays (but handsome pay to compensate!). The new construction projects are probably more along the rosters as mentioned and certainly mining is to try and steer clear and stick with O&G.

4. As Oildigger says, come out and do your own trade for a while and take it from there, there is a VAST amount of work coming up but just be aware that Australia (& especially WA) has become a VERY expensive place to stay in.

Cheers!

A
Good info A and yes there are well rostered and well payed jobs out there. I read a post recently that the Inelecs on the Bass straights platforms are the highest paid tradies in Australia, pretty shitty they are keeping Instros out of a job though.

Reference the MSIC etc, yes they are easy to get, but until you get here and get them you don't get work, trying to make the point that many of us find that when you arrive you are not work ready, there is always a license or certificate you need to get to start work and if you don't know about them it makes the whole work start issue frustrating. If your lucky and find employment you may just get told to get these by the employer, if not you will need to do them yourself to make yourself more desirable to the companies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.