Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Petrol... How much???????

Petrol... How much???????

Old Jul 31st 2013, 12:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petrol... How much???????

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Price cycles seem to be a city thing. In country areas the price stays stable for weeks on end. For example the 155c sign at our local servo here has started to corrode and you can't make out one of the numbers due to the pigeon droppings
Price cycle does not affect diesel either
Old Jul 31st 2013, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Apparently the price of diesel is more linked to international demand. So when diesel was 20c more than petrol it was because of the Asian Boom and the high demand from trucking, shipping and construction, especially in China. Now that's slackened off, diesel and petrol are more even.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Thanks mate from the link it states ACCC have been investigating since 2012. Theyre a toothless lion with no balls - I bet theyre sending out a message hoping Coles & Woolies will pull back rather than ACCC take action. ACCC are worse than hopeless
I do enjoy reading all these made up 'facts',shall we look at reality

Woollies sell $6 billion worth of fuel yearly.They buy it off those oil refiners that make a fortune.They operate on a very small profit margin on fuel.

The govt collects $14-15 billion in fuel excise (budget papers),seems there is no lack of competition at all.

Who would be silly enough to look for the facts.Who would be silly enough to do some simple maths and work out what 2% of $6 billion was.Now as I am getting old the head isn't as good as it once was, could you answer that.

Woolies sold the magic wand a few years back,at a very good profit.Now they have to wait for oil to come by ship,and go through the refining process.I did complain at the AGM that people would be disgusted how the price of oil dropped last night and petrol didn't immediately follow 3 seconds later,would they listen,bloody directors.

Don't get me started on speculators on futures markets,never see oil and still make a very good profit (or loss).

Who would be silly enough to read an annual report,audited and everything,with severe penalties for any misleading statements,see Enron and Arthur Anderson.

What would you expect ACCC to do,tell them they have to raise the price of fuel to avoid putting the competition out of business.

Geordie downunder
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by swans
I do enjoy reading all these made up 'facts',shall we look at reality

Woollies sell $6 billion worth of fuel yearly.They buy it off those oil refiners that make a fortune.They operate on a very small profit margin on fuel.

The govt collects $14-15 billion in fuel excise (budget papers),seems there is no lack of competition at all.

Who would be silly enough to look for the facts.Who would be silly enough to do some simple maths and work out what 2% of $6 billion was.Now as I am getting old the head isn't as good as it once was, could you answer that.

Woolies sold the magic wand a few years back,at a very good profit.Now they have to wait for oil to come by ship,and go through the refining process.I did complain at the AGM that people would be disgusted how the price of oil dropped last night and petrol didn't immediately follow 3 seconds later,would they listen,bloody directors.

Don't get me started on speculators on futures markets,never see oil and still make a very good profit (or loss).

Who would be silly enough to read an annual report,audited and everything,with severe penalties for any misleading statements,see Enron and Arthur Anderson.

What would you expect ACCC to do,tell them they have to raise the price of fuel to avoid putting the competition out of business.

Geordie downunder
Silly me,I looked at the wrong report,that was the 2011 report.The 2012 report gives a gross sales figure of $6.714 billion of petrol .This produces an EBIT of $127.1 million.

To simplify it (cancel the 6 zeros) every $ 671,000 of revenue produces $127 of gross profit.

You have to admire the human race,they never stop dribbling shite and telling each other how wise that shite is.

To quote the greek philosopher from 6BC 'The stupidity and the problems of the human race are not caused by ignorance,they are caused by the delusion of knowledge'.

Now there was a genius,summed up the whole history of the human race in one sentence.

See if you can work out why the ACCC will do nothing

geordie downunder
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:59 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Price cycle does not affect diesel either
It certainly did in Brisbane, it would fluctuate 20c in a day.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:04 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Silly me,I looked at the wrong report,that was the 2011 report.The 2012 report gives a gross sales figure of $6.714 billion of petrol .This produces an EBIT of $127.1 million.

To simplify it (cancel the 6 zeros) every $ 671,000 of revenue produces $127 of gross profit.

You have to admire the human race,they never stop dribbling shite and telling each other how wise that shite is.

To quote the greek philosopher from 6BC 'The stupidity and the problems of the human race are not caused by ignorance,they are caused by the delusion of knowledge'.

Now there was a genius,summed up the whole history of the human race in one sentence.

See if you can work out why the ACCC will do nothing

geordie downunder
So why dont the ACCCCCCCC do something about the 'normal' weekly price cycle that only appears to be 'normal' in Australia?
Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Swans, yup everybody in our street had a car, if you accept 900 ccTriumph Heralds, Hillman Imps or even the Neighbour's NSU Prinz as being cars.
There were only 4 cars in our street (85 council houses)A ford anglia,an Mg 4/44,a jowett javelin and my neighbour was in the army.He drove back from germany in an old Opel,it looked so exotic

We still followed the rag and bone man's horse and cart for the manure.

G/D/U.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris955
So why dont the ACCCCCCCC do something about the 'normal' weekly price cycle that only appears to be 'normal' in Australia?
I don't know,would you rather they stopped them selling at the lower price and told them to keep the same price all week.

I prefer to buy at the low price in the cycle.

G/D/U
Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:37 am
Banned

I don't know,would you rather they stopped them selling at the lower price and told them to keep the same price all week.

I prefer to buy at the low price in the cycle.

G/D/U
Why have the 'normal' cycle is my question. If it was stopped no doubt it would be set at the top end of course.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Why have the 'normal' cycle is my question. If it was stopped no doubt it would be set at the top end of course.
There is nothing I can do about about the refusal of the human race to think, to see reality,or to stop making up their own' facts.'

Why not do some thinking for yourself.This cycle is normal in Canada,USA,Germany and thailand,where I filled the car up yesterday,and petrol is 1 baht cheaper today.Bang Na area of BKK.You find out if it is normal elsewhere in the world,or continue to make up your own facts,please yourself.

The elasticity of the supply demand equation would probably be a good place to start.Thinking and living in the real world would be even better.

I'll point out the basic maths again ,facts and reality are there for all to refuse to see.

Take a barrel of oil costing A$100,so 100/160 is 62.5 cents a litre.Add on excise tax and GST around 52 cents a litre,if it is based on cost price.Shall we round that to $1.10 per litre.

How much have the refiners booked at forward prices,how much have they booked at fixed price,so the oil company has a stable income,and the refiners have stable prices.What is the tanker day rate hire,was it fixed or spot.What are harbour fees and all the other fees.

How have they handled currency fluctuations ,what %age is fixed,spot or futures.How many other variables do you think there are.I'm baffled as to how they make a profit in the first place.

The total lack of ability to do the most basic maths,Caltex sell 20 billion litres of fuel per year,what do you think 20 billion X 2 cents is.Same again in all cases,would you notice if it cost $1 more or less to fill your tank.If caltex fill 10 million tanks a week would they notice $10 million a week disappearing from the bottom line.

Think FFS.

Geordie downunder.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:52 am
Banned

Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:06 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

blah blah blah.....

more blah blah blah

more blah blah blah

more blah blah blah

more blah blah blah

more blah blah blah

more blah blah blah

Think FFS.

Geordie downunder.
it was prolly at that point you lost any credibility you never had mate
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:11 am
Banned

I couldnt even make it past the first blah blah blah.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I couldnt even make it past the first blah blah blah.
I want a compendium of GDU's greatest exposes.

A sort of greatest hits.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 1:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I always enjoy Geordie Down Under/swans' posts including the "brusque" style.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.