Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Petrol... How much???????

Petrol... How much???????

Old Jul 21st 2013, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice
Default Re: Petrol... How much???????

come back over here, it's £1.35 a litre
Old Jul 21st 2013, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

have never used a docket, remembering to grab it would bore.....
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
If you don't mind me asking, how much was your grocery bill to achieve that discount?
About $260.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 2:35 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
To save $30 on petrol you need to buy 150 litres with 20c per litre off.
Rhubarb wasn't saying he saved $30 on petrol, he saves $30 by shopping at Aldi and not using petrol discount dockets.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Fortunately I'm in the position of retirement with village shopping centre four minutes walk round the block and a bus that goes into Town four times a day for $2.50 - car does maybe 80 k a week.
When I was working and commuting from Bribie Island to Brisbane it was more like 500k a week, mostly the trip to and from the train station at Bald Hills so add train fares on top of that.

I've seen it all before, when I lived in Cardiff in the early 1970s car ownership was virtually universal by then and tens of thousands of people had moved out into the Vale of Glamorgan into new estates such as Llantrisant where you could pick up a new semi for 5k whilst inner city Victorian terraced houses in places like Roath or Cathays were really cheap, about 3k for the smaller flat front ones or 4k for the double bay window design. Then the "oil shock" hit in 73/74 and almost overnight you couldn't give away the semis but the terraces ended up around 8k in just a couple of years. I remember well as we were attempting to sell at Llandaff (City Suburb) near the rail station and move into walking distance from work. Our semi that we'd bought for 5.4 briefly hit 9K but the terraces we wanted also shot up so we just stayed put and rode it out. We were in a good position but a number of people in the far outer suburbs actually lost their homes as they were stuck there.

I wonder if this will happen this time around, if petrol hits $2 and eveyone is trying to crowd in nearer the CBD.

edit: point being that nearly all Aussies now live in outer outer "dormitory suburbs" so the effect might be even more severe nowadays.

Last edited by Mike at Taree; Jul 22nd 2013 at 3:03 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

When you consider what it does for you, transport fuel is incredibly cheap

A litre of diesel in my Jetta costs me $1.50 and takes me at least 16kms. Try doing 16kms on foot or on a bike. Even a bus trip would be over $2.00
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

I got a 40c docket this week, easy for me to spend $250 with 7 in the house at the moment, saved me $20 at the pump, very happy.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

As a previous poster said it's now around $2.40 a litre in the UK. Petrol prices pretty well buried the likes of the Ford Granada / Scorpio and other large cars, as well as ushering in all those diesel models.

For a couple, even small family, something like my Mazda2 is excellent. I'm a six footer in the old money and when I switched from a Falcon I was amazed at the leg and head room, comfort and ease of getting in and out. Not to mention parking. We took it on a trip to Cairns to see the daughter and it cruised all day at 130 (naughty naughty). And I can carry two mountain bikes in the back. So they claim. Not that I've ever owned a mountain bike.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:49 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goingau
come back over here, it's £1.35 a litre
On the flipside I now pay £20 road tax as opposed to $600 rego and CTP. I have never understood how it works in Australia, the huge fluctuations day to day or almost hourly. Petrol has been the same price here within a few pence for many months.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:51 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
As a previous poster said it's now around $2.40 a litre in the UK. Petrol prices pretty well buried the likes of the Ford Granada / Scorpio and other large cars, as well as ushering in all those diesel models.

For a couple, even small family, something like my Mazda2 is excellent. I'm a six footer in the old money and when I switched from a Falcon I was amazed at the leg and head room, comfort and ease of getting in and out. Not to mention parking. We took it on a trip to Cairns to see the daughter and it cruised all day at 130 (naughty naughty). And I can carry two mountain bikes in the back. So they claim. Not that I've ever owned a mountain bike.
Large cars are still very common, not old guzzlers but the equivalent of Falcons in size.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 8:35 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

RACQ reckon high fuel prices are due to Coles & Woolies giving away petrol dockets if people buy their food. Theyre trying to increase market share and whoop Aldi's arse and all other independent shopping companies who compete. woollies and Coles shoppers are falling for this crap and don't realise they are creating this monster by buying their food as this encourages this crap behaviour

As usual the monopolies commission are keeping schtum and Coles and Woolies are creating inflated prices so they can give fuel docket discount only to their shoppers

Criminal behaviour & the government are standing watching this crap as usual
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
RACQ reckon high fuel prices are due to Coles & Woolies giving away petrol dockets if people buy their food. Theyre trying to increase market share and whoop Aldi's arse and all other independent shopping companies who compete. woollies and Coles shoppers are falling for this crap and don't realise they are creating this monster by buying their food as this encourages this crap behaviour

As usual the monopolies commission are keeping schtum and Coles and Woolies are creating inflated prices so they can give fuel docket discount only to their shoppers

Criminal behaviour & the government are standing watching this crap as usual

You save 30 bucks in the 100 on a Aldi shop compared to a Coles or Safeway shop. Most Aldi customers know this, hence the big Two will have to try harder and improve their home brands to match Aldis, Which is basically premium all the way.

So it wont work V Aldi at least, they might get some Foodworks and IGA customers I guess.

Aldi is actually cheaper than Costco, which surprised the crap out of me and left me wondering why I bothered to pay the 60 buck membership fee.

Aldi should have a go at petrol as well, just to really drive their price savings dominance home... would love to see that.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 8:57 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
You save 30 bucks in the 100 on a Aldi shop compared to a Coles or Safeway shop. Most Aldi customers know this, hence the big Two will have to try harder and improve their home brands to match Aldis, Which is basically premium all the way.

So it wont work V Aldi at least, they might get some Foodworks and IGA customers I guess.

Aldi is actually cheaper than Costco, which surprised the crap out of me and left me wondering why I bothered to pay the 60 buck membership fee.

Aldi should have a go at petrol as well, just to really drive their price savings dominance home... would love to see that.
Spot on mate but unfortunately not everyone gets the logic so they buy in to this crap and shop at Coles and Woolies to get the petrol dockets thinking they've got a bargain

Coles and woollies play on this and just make more money

yep it would be great if Aldi sold petrol and whooped Coles and woollies arse
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 9:00 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Spot on mate but unfortunately not everyone gets the logic so they buy in to this crap and shop at Coles and Woolies to get the petrol dockets thinking they've got a bargain

Coles and woollies play on this and just make more money

yep it would be great if Aldi sold petrol and whooped Coles and woollies arse
Not everyone has an Aldi though
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris955
Large cars are still very common, not old guzzlers but the equivalent of Falcons in size.
Yes I think that's a result of "size creep". For example the original Mazda 323 in 1982 was regarded as Mini car, but its direct descendant the Mazda 3 is now a respectable mid size family car and the Ford Mondeo, direct descendant of the Cortina actually has a longer wheelbase than the Falcon. What has saved larger cars is the development of very fuel efficient 2 litre(is) engines that can power a bigger car without needing a six cylinder or V8 as in the past.

Wow just checked, the kerb weight of the Falcon is virtually identical to the Mondeo nowadays, about 1600 kg.

Last edited by Mike at Taree; Jul 22nd 2013 at 9:25 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.