Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Petrol... How much???????

Petrol... How much???????

Old Jul 20th 2013, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petrol... How much???????

Originally Posted by lesleys
I don't spend over $100 in Woolies to get the big discount vouchers any more.
But then all fruit, veggies, butter, cheese cost less than half at the Fruitbarn and Aldi - and better quality. I'm saving $30-$40 a week.
Exactly Lesleys. We reckon we have shaved our weekly grocery bill by perhaps 25% by shopping at Aldi and the local fruit/veg wholesaler (Bushy Park, Wantirna South if anyone knows the area) and most of our meat from the local chinese butcher.

I don't take any notice of the fuel discount vouchers either - it's usually possible to get close to the Caltex / Shell discounted fuel price at local independent petrol stations and by filling-up at the low point in the price cycle whenever possible.

Some people perhaps like the convenience of everything under one roof but I prefer the extra $30 a week in my pocket!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 11:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Hmm, IIRC you are up Brisbane way. It shouldn't be 166, but fuel has been doing some strange things there recently. Maybe they are having problems with the refinery/distribution network, although blame is being put on the current docket price war between coles and woolies for the price hike :

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226682220761

Easiest route to not getting stiffed is to monitor this page for cent-city-petrol-prices[/url]
and buy when prices are towards the bottom of the cycle in your area.

Of course, the big two will warp the market with their docket con, particularly when they are offering up to 40c off per litre; and the exchange rate, rising oil price will have it's effect - but the swing is usually good for ~12-14c off the peak prices.

BTW Perth is a good substitute for understanding the underlying movements if you don't have access to Tapis. Put the usual shape of the cycle in your city together with the underlying trend and you can predict where prices will go a fair distance out.
Thanks for that Garry.

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
Exactly Lesleys. We reckon we have shaved our weekly grocery bill by perhaps 25% by shopping at Aldi and the local fruit/veg wholesaler (Bushy Park, Wantirna South if anyone knows the area) and most of our meat from the local chinese butcher.

I don't take any notice of the fuel discount vouchers either - it's usually possible to get close to the Caltex / Shell discounted fuel price at local independent petrol stations and by filling-up at the low point in the price cycle whenever possible.
All well and good but when you have last weekend at 148.9, Wednesday up to 154.9 you hang on for the supposed dip only to find it then rocks up to 166.9 you don't get a low point.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
Shopped at Coles today and the discount voucher was 40cents/litre.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Shopped at Coles today and the discount voucher was 40cents/litre.
I'd suggest that's an extreme example and not a situation that either Coles or Woolworths could sustain long term.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was your grocery bill to achieve that discount? I agree that if your car has a large fuel tank, that would be a worthwhile saving - mine has 45 litres (if I was driving on fumes) and I feel that I can save more by taking my business elsewhere. Each to their own, I suppose
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
All well and good but when you have last weekend at 148.9, Wednesday up to 154.9 you hang on for the supposed dip only to find it then rocks up to 166.9 you don't get a low point.
Yes, I take your point Moneypenny. I don't pretend to understand what this 'price cycle' is all about, except to say that it smacks of price manipulation by all of the major petrol retailers because no-one seems to break ranks. It does not seem related in any way to the cost of the petrol in the storage tanks of the fuel station.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 5:17 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I had to put diesel in my car yesterday and price at the pump was 1.57. I was lucky enough to have a 17c per litre off on my Woolies card so it cost me a whopping $168. Thankfully I never fill both tanks on the car otherwise it would have cost me $250!!
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I had to put diesel in my car yesterday and price at the pump was 1.57. I was lucky enough to have a 17c per litre off on my Woolies card so it cost me a whopping $168. Thankfully I never fill both tanks on the car otherwise it would have cost me $250!!
Good lord, you running the QE 2 on 4 wheels ? I'll stick to my Jazz thanks
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:29 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Good lord, you running the QE 2 on 4 wheels ? I'll stick to my Jazz thanks
I was trying to figure out what the car was - my little focus has 53 litre tank I think - the second tank was that size
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I was trying to figure out what the car was - my little focus has 53 litre tank I think - the second tank was that size
Rich people eh ! Oh to be
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
What the **** is going on? Oil price hasn't changed but petrol's 166.9 today. That is seriously taking the piss and my tank is on red. Not happy.
Last time it hit the $1.60 oil was $120 a barrel and the dollar very similar, so nope it does not add up.

Coles and woolworth again, they own almost every petrol station you see around here now

Funny how there was a 20c a litre off voucher, in that cycle the petrol never went down, then it went up 23c instead.

Nowt to do with oil prices, more to do with 2 huge players owning all the gas stations.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

To save $30 on petrol you need to buy 150 litres with 20c per litre off.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 11:09 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
To save $30 on petrol you need to buy 150 litres with 20c per litre off.
yeah - no way am I saving that much even with the 34c.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

anyone here never bother timing the cycle?

(I think it might well have something to do with the fact I've got 3 kids, and not 2).

My first world problem at the servo is fiddling with the tyre pressures, and making sure I've got the colour supplement and a lollipop for my son when I fill up.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

(I think it might well have something to do with the fact I've got 3 kids, and not 2).

My first world problem at the servo is fiddling with the tyre pressures, and making sure I've got the colour supplement and a lollipop for my son when I fill up.
I have no idea of when's best to buy - if it looks low and I have around half a tank I fill up if I'm going past. But not having to go out to work, I don't always go past a garage to watch the prices.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 1:13 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

I keep meaning to find the time to write a 'traffic light' app for it - 'Green' for buy now, 'Red' for wait a while, and 'Yellow' for inbetween.

As it is, I have the graph in one of the speeddials on by browser - so knowing roughly where things are is no great problem (less than remembering to have the money-off docket with me).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.