Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Petrol... How much???????

Petrol... How much???????

Old Jul 20th 2013, 4:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Petrol... How much???????

What the **** is going on? Oil price hasn't changed but petrol's 166.9 today. That is seriously taking the piss and my tank is on red. Not happy.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 4:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petrol... How much???????

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
What the **** is going on? Oil price hasn't changed but petrol's 166.9 today. That is seriously taking the piss and my tank is on red. Not happy.
B20 diesel was just under $1.50 last night when I bought

You need to look at the price of Malaysian Tapis oil (which is relevant to us in Australia) and not the WTI that is the benchmark on TV and in the media

Tapis has been rising recently and the price we pay today will have come from the oil price of about 7-14 days ago

Oil rising. AUD falling. Higher pump prices
Old Jul 20th 2013, 4:28 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Do your shopping in Coles or Woolies and get the fuel discount vouchers!

Best regards.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

The discount vouchers from Colesworths are a scam. For example here:

Independant servo down the road, unleaded $1.55
Woolies Caltex $1.63

After discount $1.57

Figure.

Spend $100 at Woolies, get 16 cent per litre discount.
Average tankful of 40L = $6.40

Spend $100 at Aldi instead, savings = $20 at least

No free lunches.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 5:37 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Shop at Aldi?

Not for me!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Shop at Aldi?

Not for me!
Warum nicht?
Old Jul 20th 2013, 6:19 am
Migration Agent

'cos I like the discount vouchers from Coles ... ... and my son works at Coles, so I feel we should support them/him!

And Aldi doesn't have the range of food, etc - so my better half tells me.

Best regards.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

<thread derail>

I shop at Coles just round the corner from here, and at Aldi.

Aldi has a big range of essentials but does not have seven brands of bacon, nineteen brands and varieties of milk or twelve varieties of baked beans.

What it does have is a very high standard of products, most made by Australian manufacturers (apart from "specialty" imports which are usually rotated over the year, for example Polish Sauerkraut is on at the moment and won't be back till next year).

The way it works is that they will have a sensible number of alternatives of each product, not twenty three. Thus a typical example:

Short cut bacon
Middle bacon
Budget bacon
Bacon in 250g packs

And it's very nice, better quality than Dandy or Primo at Coles.

Full Cream milk 3 2 1 litres
Light Milk 2 1 litres
Skim milk
Organic milk 1 litre

Not a whole ridiculous wall of smart milk, new milk, goats milk, betta milk, A2 milk ad nauseam.
Same with most products.

I mostly use Coles for the fiddly stuff like cinnamon quills, custard powder .. although Aldi are stocking a lot of this sort of stuff now if volume demands.

Should try it. The other advantage of Aldi is you can park the car near the entrance and get a trolley that hasn't been left out in the rain or peed on by a dog. However our Coles here now has gone over to token-unlock as well which is good for avoiding getting your car dinged.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 7:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I shop at Woolies because my daughter works there and I get 5% off all shopping so I get the dockets. Still pissed that I have to pay 162.9. Go Matilda are normally cheapest around here (bit of a drive divert though) but they're all the same at the mo. Was thinking of filling up the other day but it was 154.9 so silly me decided to let it come down first. Fail!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 7:10 am
Migration Agent

Presume you don't mean Go Matilda, moneypenny ... though I am ambitious and (some even say) entrepreneurial of spirit we're not (yet) into food retail ...!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to make my 1/4 tank last another week. OH filled up this morning at $1.40-something (Woolies) but when I went out this arvo. it had shot up to $1.61.9, so I decided to go home and have wine instead.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Presume you don't mean Go Matilda, moneypenny ... though I am ambitious and (some even say) entrepreneurial of spirit we're not (yet) into food retail ...!
See Alan you're always on my mind.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:35 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
The discount vouchers from Colesworths are a scam. For example here:

Independant servo down the road, unleaded $1.55
Woolies Caltex $1.63

After discount $1.57

Figure.

Spend $100 at Woolies, get 16 cent per litre discount.
Average tankful of 40L = $6.40

Spend $100 at Aldi instead, savings = $20 at least

No free lunches.
No Aldi's here but did my shopping at coles yesterday - coupon was 34c off every litre
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I don't spend over $100 in Woolies to get the big discount vouchers any more.
But then all fruit, veggies, butter, cheese cost less than half at the Fruitbarn and Aldi - and better quality. I'm saving $30-$40 a week.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 10:11 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, IIRC you are up Brisbane way. It shouldn't be 166, but fuel has been doing some strange things there recently. Maybe they are having problems with the refinery/distribution network, although blame is being put on the current docket price war between coles and woolies for the price hike :

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226682220761

Easiest route to not getting stiffed is to monitor this page for your city :
http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/pet...-petrol-prices
and buy when prices are towards the bottom of the cycle in your area.

Of course, the big two will warp the market with their docket con, particularly when they are offering up to 40c off per litre; and the exchange rate, rising oil price will have it's effect - but the swing is usually good for ~12-14c off the peak prices.

BTW Perth is a good substitute for understanding the underlying movements if you don't have access to Tapis. Put the usual shape of the cycle in your city together with the underlying trend and you can predict where prices will go a fair distance out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.