Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Closed Thread

Old Mar 20th 2006, 10:21 pm   #61
pogsy 
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice
Default Re: Pet Export: Info Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
Yep. Well sort of. We had given the nod to Golden Arrow - but on hearing Paul's experiences with them I reinvestigated Airpets and got a fresh quote from them (it was about 30 quid more). Who we go with will, to be honest, be down to the timing of our house sale. If we need to move things along quickly then we'll go with Airpets, but if we have the luxury of a bit of time to get things done, then we'll go with Golden Arrow.
Have you tried Ryslip ( www.ryslip.com ) they were £400.00 cheaper than Airpets
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:21 pm   #62
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogsy
Have you tried Ryslip ( www.ryslip.com ) they were £400.00 cheaper than Airpets

I'm going to get a quote from them. Has anyone used them please?

xRachx
12/5/06 meds clear - sent to LCU / 29/5/06 Visa Grant!!!!!!!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 1:42 pm   #63
tuftyj 
Just Joined

tuftyj is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=lynnlovessun]I do think that it is crazy to put our dogs through 30 days quarantine when the UK is rabies free. Australians can bring their dogs into UK no problems and I think without quarantine yet ours are confined to the kennels.

I am not sure that australians can take their dogs into the Uk without any problems or without doing quarantine....at least we can't but then were not Australians We have decided to return to the Uk with our two dogs. When we enquired to Defra about returning them back to the Uk they said we had to have the rabies injection, followed by a blood test and then wait 6 months before entering the UK otherwise they will have to face 6 months in quarantine!!!! This seems to be a little silly as both countries are rabies free and they didn't require the rabies vaccination to enter Australia. We are a little annoyed as i think we could have had the rabies injection back in the UK before they had the blood tests which are required for Oz, meaning we could then just take them straight through as the 6 months would have passed by now. Anyway, It's all very confusing!!!! But my advise would be to anyone bringing their dogs/cats to ask their vet about getting the rabbies injection and what conditions have to be met if they want to return to the UK, as although you don't want to think about returning before you've even got here, if things do go wrong it's one less thing to worry about!

Also, we went through Par Air and found them to be very good. We paid £1,720.00 for two Lhaso Apso's (small dogs!) plus collection and boarding for one night. I was so scared that the whole experience would scar them for life but it didn't seem to affect them one bit, hopefully that will apply to the journey back as well!!!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 4:04 pm   #64
pogsy 
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywithatorch

xRachx
Have not used them yet but intend to later this year..
Old Jul 4th 2006, 3:37 pm   #65
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hutch, out of interest which company did you go with in the end? I'm just starting to look into this for my cats.

Anybody else recommend pet shippers within the Yorkshire area?

Cheers,

Nicky
Old Jul 4th 2006, 6:02 pm   #66
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Pet Export: Info Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Hutch, out of interest which company did you go with in the end? I'm just starting to look into this for my cats.

Anybody else recommend pet shippers within the Yorkshire area?

Cheers,

Nicky
Great thread, just getting quotes now for our dog! Really worried about the whole process. He's nine years old and a bit overweight but couldn't face leaving him here but its going to cost nearly £3,000 in total to bring him to Oz. He's a labrador/cross and really not sure if he will make it! God he's scared of the hoover being turned on every day God knows what he will be like when he's put on a bloody great 747!!!! Any recommendations from anyone that has recently travelled or about to travel will be appreciated.
Jo x
Old Jul 4th 2006, 9:45 pm   #67
Bookie 
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanneS
Great thread, just getting quotes now for our dog! Really worried about the whole process. He's nine years old and a bit overweight but couldn't face leaving him here but its going to cost nearly £3,000 in total to bring him to Oz. He's a labrador/cross and really not sure if he will make it! God he's scared of the hoover being turned on every day God knows what he will be like when he's put on a bloody great 747!!!! Any recommendations from anyone that has recently travelled or about to travel will be appreciated.
Jo x
I was soooo worried about my brainless boxer, but we used Golden Arrow and they were great, no question too silly, and were super efficient with the paperwork. Rosie went to Melbourne and she is fine, can't wait to get there next week and get her out of jail. Once you get over the pain of them actually going, the time flies by.
Try not to worry, not easy I know. I'll give you an update when I get her next week.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 6:25 pm   #68
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookie
I was soooo worried about my brainless boxer, but we used Golden Arrow and they were great, no question too silly, and were super efficient with the paperwork. Rosie went to Melbourne and she is fine, can't wait to get there next week and get her out of jail. Once you get over the pain of them actually going, the time flies by.
Try not to worry, not easy I know. I'll give you an update when I get her next week.
Thanks Bookie, look forward to hearing our Rosie is doing next week! The only thing that put us off Golden Arrow is where it is. We are in London and understand they are far away from us and the dog hates travelling as it is, so to put him through more added stress will only unsettle him more.
I thought the emmigration process was hard but now looking into this it was the easy part! Jo x
Old Jul 5th 2006, 7:17 pm   #69
Premium Member

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywithatorch

xRachx

I emailed them yesterday and had an itemised quotation sent to me with clear and concise instructions. The quote they gave me was for night before boarding, taking to airport, Import Permit, Export Certificate, vet check - deflea, worming, travel box - everything down to the sealing of the container.

£836.36

I think we will be using this company. Very impressed with response so far.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 8:34 pm   #70
BE Enthusiast

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
I'm in the process of sorting this out (don't leave until next year, but it's one less thing to sort). Have found out loads of info so I thought I'd bung it all in a thread. I'll update it as and when the quotes and stuff arrive and also when we've decided who we're going with.

Pet Export

We are exporting our pets – a dog called Cally (Collie/Springer cross) and a cat called Mukka (flat-coated persian cross) to Australia in 2006 and I thought I’d post the stuff we found out, in case it was more up-to-date than the older threads we turned up on the site.

We first phoned Defra (www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine who sent us a very useful pack regarding exporting animals to Australia. The pack explains exactly what you need to do so if you’ve got a bit of time and energy on your hands you could probably take care of everything yourself. Given how crap I am at form-filling we’re going to use a company for most of the stuff, but the option is there. Also had a read of the stuff on the AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service ) about importing cats and dogs. There’s a PDF available on the site which explains the process and also the costs involved – very handy document.

To give you some idea of what’s involved – some of the things on the A4 list include:
• Import permit from the Australian Vetinary Authorities
• Export health certificate from Defra
• Examination carried out not more than four days prior to export
• Written declaration by the owner/exporter stating whether or not the dog has been neutered.
• Dog must be micro-chipped, resident of the UK for more than 6 months and tested and vaccinated for a vast array of viruses included parvo, hep and lepto.

Par Air (www.parair.co.uk - 01206 330332) – sound a bit low rent – don’t answer the phone as Par Air for instance, but as ‘Colchester 330332’. Need to know the length (tip of nose to tip of tail) and height (ground to top of ears or head whichever is highest) of the dog. After the unpromising start the lady did sound pretty clued up and came up with an initial quote of £1742 which simply covered the actual shipping of the dog, not the vaccinations before-hand or things like the import certificate ($200) or indeed the cost of keeping the dog in quarantine in Australia. So, kind of a hybrid service then – probably useful if you don’t mind taking on the paperwork and want to save yourself a few quid.

Bristol Vale Vets (01275 832489) – this was the number recommended to us by Defra. These ones are local to us – no doubt you’ll get a similar recommendation for the area you live in. Hell of a lot more impressed by these guys. Lady was friendly and informative – wanted a different measurement of the dog (reckoned she’d saved us £500 by getting a lying-down measurement). They can take care of the whole process from start to end including all the Australia-side stuff. If you sign up with them, they produce a time-sheet for you which lays out exactly what you’ve got to get done and when – blood tests and the like. Prior to export you can either drop the animal off yourself or get it/them picked up. Obviously since they’re a vets they have the necessary bods on hand to do the final tests, something the lady said was preferable because “the Australians like to see just one vet’s signature on the test sheets�.

Lady Hayes (www.ladyhaye.co.uk - 01342 832161)– didn’t bother contacting these guys after reading this . post on the subject and because they’ve got a really shite web-site.

Animal Airlines (www.animalairlines.co.uk – 01625 827414). Wouldn’t give me a quote over the phone – pointed me towards the website – promised a quote by return of email (whatever that is). Website wouldn’t work with Firefox (there goes 10% of their potential customers) had to use crappy old Internet Explorer – at least the website looked semi-competent. Yet another variation on the measurements required – this time excluding the tail. Cat took food trap, but buggered off sharpish before we could weigh/measure her. Trapped cat later with promise of fish (sucker). Awaiting the ‘return of email’ response.

Golden Arrow (01588 680240) lots of positive stuff about this company on the site, so I Googled for ‘em but couldn’t find a damned thing – eventually found the phone number in someone else’s post. Gave ‘em a ring, asked why they had no web site and he proudly(!) said ‘no computers here’. Hmm – traditional is great, but he could save himself a shitload of time and effort by having a simple website. Anyway – he sounded nice enough and promised to wang a pack in the post for us. Didn’t ask for any measurements, so it looks like being a fairly drawn-out process even at the start.

Airpets (www.airpets.com - 01753 685571 or 0800 371554) – otherwise known as Airpets Oceanic. Mixed experiences people have had with this company judging by the posts on the site. Having read all such posts though I think they were probably unfairly tarnished (down to pre-flight dog walks) and so I gave ‘em a chance. Web site the most professional by far – although whoever had the bright idea of putting the ‘Pet Crematorium’ link right on the front page directly underneath ‘Departures from the UK, deserves a slap. Gave ‘em a ring – spoke to a pleasant lady who asked the usual details (length, height, width etc). She said that since we weren’t in a massive hurry (we plan to emigrate July 06) – would we mind if the quote came in about 10 days, as they were very busy at the moment. I said that was fine. She asked if we wanted to include pick-up from our home to Heathrow and I said to go ahead. She said that quotes were only valid for six months, so we’d have to ge re-quoted nearer the time.
First time I've seen this thread. Bloody brilliant info. Hutch, cheers.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 10:18 am   #71
loidy 
off to Byron Bay....

loidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanneS
Jo x
hi joanne, we emigrated last september and we brought our lab x and yorkie with us. it was the most stressful part of the whole process but totally worth it. we used golden arrow and they were sooo nice, understanding and friendly, the only thing i didnt realise with them was that they drive the animals up to manchester airport and fly them to heathrow so there is one extra flight involved. i followed our dogs process every step of the way checking at each airport when they had landed etc. they went to melbourne and the staff there are lovely. they rang my parents (in melbourne) as soon as they got back with our dogs to let them know they were fine and you can visit twice a week while they are in quarantine. we chose not too as we had to fly up to the east coast to go househunting but luckily my dad visited loads. it is good if someone can so they can at least have some exercise in the yards.picking them up was the best feeling ever and now with daily walks on a deserted beach and their own 17 acres, i reckon if you asked them they would say it was worth it. good luck with it all but please try not to worry as dogs are so resilient, xx loidy
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:40 am   #72
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Could anyone with the time whos reading this post put a price on cost, what breed and what company as to get a rough idea
Or has anyone shipped a rhodesian ridgebaack yet!!
many thanks
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:08 am   #73
Dreamy Female
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrierswife
Could anyone with the time whos reading this post put a price on cost, what breed and what company as to get a rough idea
Or has anyone shipped a rhodesian ridgebaack yet!!
many thanks

We've just had a quote through from airpets - www.airpets.com - for our two rotties. One is fully grown, the other is (at the moment) just over 7 months, so how they'll work the measurements, I don't know

Anyway, the price was as follows - £4813 for both dogs.
That included:
Freight, Travel Container, Airline Handling fees, delivery to airport, application for Import Permit, Application for quarantine space, owners/curators declaration, application for Ministry of Agriculture Export certificate, 96hour paraciticide, sealing of Air Kennel by Airport vet, one days boarding.

If we wish them to be collected from the NE of England, its an additional £580 (for the two of them), and we'd need to sort out the microchip identification, the doggy vaccinations and the blood tests ourself.

Not included is the Australian Quarantine fees, which are (according to the Airpets letter) approximately AUS$800 per animal, payable on release.

The animals will be fly via scheduled passenger flight from Heathrow with either BA or Qantas.

We're also waiting for quotes from a few others, who've been recommended to us on here

Lynne
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:22 pm   #74
Just Joined

Mr_Sea-Breeze is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
We've just had a quote through from airpets - www.airpets.com - for our two rotties. One is fully grown, the other is (at the moment) just over 7 months, so how they'll work the measurements, I don't know

Anyway, the price was as follows - £4813 for both dogs.
That included:
Freight, Travel Container, Airline Handling fees, delivery to airport, application for Import Permit, Application for quarantine space, owners/curators declaration, application for Ministry of Agriculture Export certificate, 96hour paraciticide, sealing of Air Kennel by Airport vet, one days boarding.

If we wish them to be collected from the NE of England, its an additional £580 (for the two of them), and we'd need to sort out the microchip identification, the doggy vaccinations and the blood tests ourself.

Not included is the Australian Quarantine fees, which are (according to the Airpets letter) approximately AUS$800 per animal, payable on release.

The animals will be fly via scheduled passenger flight from Heathrow with either BA or Qantas.

We're also waiting for quotes from a few others, who've been recommended to us on here

Lynne
We also had a quote from www.Airpets.com for our Staffie. LHR to Melbourne was £1954.

Cheers

Mr S-B
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:35 pm   #75
Just Joined

Mr_Sea-Breeze is an unknown quantity at this point

www.airpets.com - as above for our Staffie £1954

Cheers

Mr S-B
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia