Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pet Export: Info Thread

Pet Export: Info Thread

Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:40 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pet Export: Info Thread

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Yikes I feel worse than ever now - poppy would never know how to use a gerbil bottle!!!!!!!

And big tubs at risk of spilling during takeoff. I'd imagine it would be very hot in the hold when the plane was stationary at Singapore.

Lynn
Myhusband was giving me a practical demonstration this evening of the fact that water will not spill when a plane banks. Something to do with centrifugal force? Oh well, the water stayed in the bucket even when he swung it over his head in a circle.

The hold is temperature controlled, isn't it? That should stop it over-heating when on the ground.

The water feeders have to be accessible from the outside, so they must be fixed to the container in some way. This collie was obviously very unfortunate, but I wonder if he was being professionally carried or if the owners had organised it themselves. And whether there was anything else that might have contributed to his behaviour? One of those things we'll never know. All these airlines carry pets every day, and they must have immense experience of it.

I shall only really be happy when I know our pets have landed safely, but for us, leaving them behind was not an option. Our dog especially is very attached, and we opted for the day of inconvenience for him as opposed to a life with someone who might not love him as we do.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:43 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Myhusband was giving me a practical demonstration this evening of the fact that water will not spill when a plane banks. Something to do with centrifugal force? Oh well, the water stayed in the bucket even when he swung it over his head in a circle.

The hold is temperature controlled, isn't it? That should stop it over-heating when on the ground.

The water feeders have to be accessible from the outside, so they must be fixed to the container in some way. This collie was obviously very unfortunate, but I wonder if he was being professionally carried or if the owners had organised it themselves. And whether there was anything else that might have contributed to his behaviour? One of those things we'll never know. All these airlines carry pets every day, and they must have immense experience of it.

I shall only really be happy when I know our pets have landed safely, but for us, leaving them behind was not an option. Our dog especially is very attached, and we opted for the day of inconvenience for him as opposed to a life with someone who might not love him as we do.
Thanks for your reasurring words - and everything you have said makes total sense. It was very unfortunate that the collie chewed through his water bowl but why was this not detected during the stop for fuelling? I can only imagine it was a slow leak which was not noticed when or if the bowl was topped up.

Poppy can be a chewer but if she is scared she is probably more likely to go and lie down at the back of the crate.

Good luck to you and your dog when you fly soon - i'm sure everything will go smoothly then you can come back on here and reassure us all.

Lynn
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:54 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reasurring words - and everything you have said makes total sense. It was very unfortunate that the collie chewed through his water bowl but why was this not detected during the stop for fuelling? I can only imagine it was a slow leak which was not noticed when or if the bowl was topped up.

Poppy can be a chewer but if she is scared she is probably more likely to go and lie down at the back of the crate.

Good luck to you and your dog when you fly soon - i'm sure everything will go smoothly then you can come back on here and reassure us all.

Lynn
Thank you, Lynn. Unfortunately, although we only have 22 days to go ( :scared: ) our pets have a longer wait. The earliest we could get the quarantine facilities for them is 5th September!! They are leaving us and going into kennels/cattery on 10th August (the day the movers move in!) and they will stay there until 2nd September when they are picked up by Airpets. They will fly to Perth on 4th September and go into quarantine at Byford on 5th September. We're flying to Sydney on 17th August then have a month in Parramatta before flying on to Perth sometime mid-September. They come out of quarantine beginning of October and hopefully we will have found somewhere to rent by then that permits pets and they'll be able to come straight back to us.

Well, that's the plan, anyway.... It could have been worse - I think!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 6:09 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yea - that does make sense. Like I said earlier, millions fly without incident every year
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

CAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really nice

Don't worry guys they'll be fine. Think about it - the conditions that they have to travel in are far better than standard economy class onboard. At least they get room to stand up and turn around! And OK they might mess themselves - but come on - have you seen the state of the human loos on board planes after that length of time!
I understand what you are going through. I've got two Staffordshire Bull Terriers who are nutters. My worst fear is that they'll chew their way out of the container completely. I've seen them eat through plastic and wood like it wasn't there! I'm planning on buying plastic containers some weeks in advance and taking them out and about in the car etc to get then used to them. Haven't decided who to ship with yet - it is all so confusing. Good advice though - cheers.
All the best,
CAZ.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:12 am

scotmacs is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeez I hadn't thought that the quarantine station might not have a space when we wanted it!!!!! I will call them today as we were wanting to go mid Oct, poss putting the boys in before then at beginning of Oct!!!

Great threads on moving our beloved dogs, I have got a lot of really helpful info and will now be on here all the time till we sort EVERYTHING out of which there is bloody loads!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh

Kay

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Thank you, Lynn. Unfortunately, although we only have 22 days to go ( :scared: ) our pets have a longer wait. The earliest we could get the quarantine facilities for them is 5th September!! They are leaving us and going into kennels/cattery on 10th August (the day the movers move in!) and they will stay there until 2nd September when they are picked up by Airpets. They will fly to Perth on 4th September and go into quarantine at Byford on 5th September. We're flying to Sydney on 17th August then have a month in Parramatta before flying on to Perth sometime mid-September. They come out of quarantine beginning of October and hopefully we will have found somewhere to rent by then that permits pets and they'll be able to come straight back to us.

Well, that's the plan, anyway.... It could have been worse - I think!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:50 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scotmacs
Jeez I hadn't thought that the quarantine station might not have a space when we wanted it!!!!! I will call them today as we were wanting to go mid Oct, poss putting the boys in before then at beginning of Oct!!!

Great threads on moving our beloved dogs, I have got a lot of really helpful info and will now be on here all the time till we sort EVERYTHING out of which there is bloody loads!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh

Kay
Hi Kay - my husband Marc is from Glenrothes!!! His folks live in Carfrae Dr!

I think the quarantine kennels in Perth tends to get fully boked as they are smaller - some people end up flying their dogs into Sydney then having them flown to Perth after the 30 days.

Poppy is going into quarantine in Sydney and I presume there are no problems - Pet travel services have applied for her import permit and recieved it - they don't book her flights till a few months before but I might just e-mail and enquire if they have booked the quarantine station!

If you use a pet travel agent they will book everything for you - thats all part of the overall fee - you still have to pay the quarantine fee's when you collect the dog though.

Lynn
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:05 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dexter
We have just been through the pet export thing. We used par air and found them to be very good. Saying that the whole process of exporting our two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels was more stressful than our visa application, but they are here now and will be out of quarantine next Thursday.

If there is anything you want to know just ask.

Craig
Hey Dexter,
I was shown this thread about pet export, and noted you have C K Charles Spaniels, how are they doing out in the heat? do they suffer any skin problems (if you don't mind me asking?) my CKC is 3 in March, I really want to take him to Perth with us, but hubby says we would be crazy as he suffers with a skin problem and he has a point about not being able to get rental so easily, just noticed your link and wondered how your pooch's are settling in? thanks (if you get chance to reply that would be great!)
Annette
Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:58 pm
Dexter

Dexter has a spectacular aura aboutDexter has a spectacular aura aboutDexter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by soonbethere
Hey Dexter,
I was shown this thread about pet export, and noted you have C K Charles Spaniels, how are they doing out in the heat? do they suffer any skin problems (if you don't mind me asking?) my CKC is 3 in March, I really want to take him to Perth with us, but hubby says we would be crazy as he suffers with a skin problem and he has a point about not being able to get rental so easily, just noticed your link and wondered how your pooch's are settling in? thanks (if you get chance to reply that would be great!)
Annette

Our dogs have settled fine with no problems what so ever. Finding a rental should be no problem with one small dog. My advice would be to bring you dog, the heat out here isn't that bad our dogs just sit in the shade.

Craig
Old Feb 8th 2006, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of

I do think that it is crazy to put our dogs through 30 days quarantine when the UK is rabies free. Australians can bring their dogs into UK no problems and I think without quarantine yet ours are confined to the kennels.

You are assuming;

that quarantine is purely to combat Rabies.

that the UK is 'Rabies free'

that the UK is as interested in biosecurity as Oz

None are strictly accurate.

Best wishes G.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:17 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

wow great info..wish it was here last year!!

My lab is due out of quarantine on Friday...whoo hooo cannot wait..he's soooo tired, smelly and needs pampering. He went via Golden Arrow and I know what you mean about them being laid back. When I went into their office they have a huge old fashioned typewriter which they use!! but I couldn't recommend them enough...the crates they build have their own built in water containers too! Barney arrived safe and sound and he is really a scatty dog!
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

MummyKarin is an unknown quantity at this point

Great info - we are exporting our two cats in August and have oly got one quote from Airpetsso far, so your information will come in very handy, thank you
Old Mar 20th 2006, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Jempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to allJempower is a name known to all

Once again thanks for your info

Aly
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to the updates. Did you choose? Great Thread

Stacey xxx

Last edited by stacey and jordan; Mar 20th 2006 at 9:55 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:55 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
What happened to the updates. Did you choose?

Stacey xxx
Yep. Well sort of. We had given the nod to Golden Arrow - but on hearing Paul's experiences with them I reinvestigated Airpets and got a fresh quote from them (it was about 30 quid more). Who we go with will, to be honest, be down to the timing of our house sale. If we need to move things along quickly then we'll go with Airpets, but if we have the luxury of a bit of time to get things done, then we'll go with Golden Arrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.