Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pet Export: Info Thread

Pet Export: Info Thread

Old Jul 25th 2005, 4:58 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pet Export: Info Thread

Originally Posted by loidy
another thing, read a heartbreaking story today about the 7 year old collie who died of dehydration on the flight from heathrow to sydney . he chewed his water bowl and had no water. the rspca are investigating BA.
as if i wasn't dreading the whole process enough... x loidy
Just been doing a bit of googling on this one, and found myself on a Belgian air travel forum - the folk there seem knowledgeable about flying things, and a couple of people are saying that anyone who takes a dog on more than an eight-hour flight should rethink whether they ought to be dog owners in the first place!!! Someone else said that there is no access to the animals in the cargo hold during the flight, so water is only checked at stopovers. Doesn't their water spill when the plane banks?

Now I'm really concerned, and am feeling more guilty than ever about taking our pets...
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:08 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Par Air have sent me their full written quote now which stands at £2138 all in for both animals or £1742 for the dog and £675 for the cat and includes a £142 fee for picking them up from our home. Nice pack of information including a leaflet (with pictures of their kennels) and all the paperwork you'll need including the Australian Import form. Their quote covers air freight charges, the approved containers, airport and airline charges, vet's examination and sealing charges. It doesn't include anything Oz-side or transport of animal to them or kennel fees if you send 'em before the flight (they charge £12.34 per night for that). The quote outlines exactly what you need to provide though and points out that they can take care of pretty much everything this end, including the vet's certificate (£40), tests (£102 for a dog), and worming/frontline (£12/dog, £23.75/cat). Overall pretty impressed with 'em - seem to have a good reputation on the site too, so definitely still a contender.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:09 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Just been doing a bit of googling on this one, and found myself on a Belgian air travel forum - the folk there seem knowledgeable about flying things, and a couple of people are saying that anyone who takes a dog on more than an eight-hour flight should rethink whether they ought to be dog owners in the first place!!! Someone else said that there is no access to the animals in the cargo hold during the flight, so water is only checked at stopovers. Doesn't their water spill when the plane banks?

Now I'm really concerned, and am feeling more guilty than ever about taking our pets...
I agree these stories are awful - and I just pray to god it dosen't happen to any of our dogs. Just remember that lots of dogs travel each year unharmed and arrive in a good state - there have been lots of posters on the forum who have said their dogs were fine. I do think that it is crazy to put our dogs through 30 days quarantine when the UK is rabies free. Australians can bring their dogs into UK no problems and I think without quarantine yet ours are confined to the kennels.

Water is only checked and refilled at stopovers I will post a pic below of a typical air kennel - the water is filled via a funnel so that they do not open up the crate. I also worry about a bumpy flight and water spillage.

Lynn
Attached Thumbnails Pet Export: Info Thread-dog-crate.jpg  

Last edited by lynnlovessun; Jul 25th 2005 at 5:13 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:14 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
a couple of people are saying that anyone who takes a dog on more than an eight-hour flight should rethink whether they ought to be dog owners in the first place!!! Someone else said that there is no access to the animals in the cargo hold during the flight, so water is only checked at stopovers. Doesn't their water spill when the plane banks?
What do they suggest then? Give up a loved family pet and send it off to a dog's home, for the sake of half a day in the cargo hold of an aeroplane? Thousands of animals fly all over the planet every day of the week and there's only the occasional problem. Compare and contrast that with the number of humans that die from deep vein thrombosis or bugs they've picked up whilst breathing constantly circulated air. As to the water, I suspect they have non-spillable water facilities
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch
What do they suggest then? Give up a loved family pet and send it off to a dog's home, for the sake of half a day in the cargo hold of an aeroplane? Thousands of animals fly all over the planet every day of the week and there's only the occasional problem. Compare and contrast that with the number of humans that die from deep vein thrombosis or bugs they've picked up whilst breathing constantly circulated air. As to the water, I suspect they have non-spillable water facilities
Bowl dosen't look non-spillable to me but agree with you on every other point.

Lynn
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:20 pm
Australia's Doorman

Right then - the inscrutable Golden Arrow Shippers have now sent me their pack, which comprises a booklet of testimonials from happy punters (*shrugs shoulders* hardly likely to include any adverse correspondence are they), booklet on regs for dogs, booklet on regs for cats and a little leaflet including tear-off form to fill in to require a quote. God only knows they'd better be good they way they drag out the whole process. Anyway - two forms filled in and returned. I await their typed response which will no doubt arrive by pigeon post on the basis that the Royal Mail is far too new-fangled.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:22 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Bowl dosen't look non-spillable to me but agree with you on every other point.

Lynn
Yea - old ice cream tub - not what I'd imagined at all. Wonder if you can supply your own container for them?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:22 pm

Right then - the inscrutable Golden Arrow Shippers have now sent me their pack, which comprises a booklet of testimonials from happy punters (*shrugs shoulders* hardly likely to include any adverse correspondence are they), booklet on regs for dogs, booklet on regs for cats and a little leaflet including tear-off form to fill in to require a quote. God only knows they'd better be good they way they drag out the whole process. Anyway - two forms filled in and returned. I await their typed response which will no doubt arrive by pigeon post on the basis that the Royal Mail is far too new-fangled.
LOL your hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!

Can just imagine the pigeon dropping your quote at your feet then flying off!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:24 pm

Yea - old ice cream tub - not what I'd imagined at all. Wonder if you can supply your own container for them?
Doubt it - not sure where I got that pic from - I think someone sent me it to reassure me :scared: They have to be IATA approved I think (hope i've got my abbreviations right!)

Lynn
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:25 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

I had heard (I think from Golden Arrow?) that they use a giant size gerbil-type water bottle. I thought I might get one in advance so that I can teach the dogs how to use it

I have posted on "So many times I have been asked..." thread my reasons for taking my dogs and not leaving them behind.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:28 pm
Australia's Doorman

Yea, found another image, enclosed below. Bit of Googling revealed that a lot fo the shippers use Vari-kennels which look a lot better. That water doesn't look non-spillable either though. Wonder what the deal is? I mean there'd be way more than that one case of the collie that died of thirst if these things were as dodgy as they looked. No?
Attached Thumbnails Pet Export: Info Thread-5005_xxl.jpg  
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:30 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Yea, found another image, enclosed below. Bit of Googling revealed that a lot fo the shippers use Vari-kennels which look a lot better. That water doesn't look non-spillable either though. Wonder what the deal is? I mean there'd be way more than that one case of the collie that died of thirst if these things were as dodgy as they looked. No?
My black lab x springer spaniel would be much better off in this plastic one as she only has to go 1 hr in the car and she poohs herself and throws up!! Pity the poor soul who has to take her out of the crate at the other end :scared:
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:34 pm

Yikes I feel worse than ever now - poppy would never know how to use a gerbil bottle!!!!!!!

And big tubs at risk of spilling during takeoff. I'd imagine it would be very hot in the hold when the plane was stationary at Singapore.

Lynn
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:35 pm
Australia's Doorman

OK! I have solution! Take your pet as hand luggage!
Attached Thumbnails Pet Export: Info Thread-7643920021c.jpg  
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:48 pm
Australia's Doorman

Travel advisory for pets taken from the British Airways web site:
> Get your pet used to the container a few days before its flight. A favourite toy or blanket should help it feel at home in a strange environment.
> Give only a light meal to your pet a few hours before flight departure. Most pets are house trained and do not wish to soil their bedding. It is therefore kinder not to give them too much food. If the flight duration is over 12 hours, water needs to be provided, but care should be taken not to overfill the water container. Water is checked before loading and during transit stops.
> Pets travel very well and do not usually need a sedative. If sedation is required, it must only be carried out under strict veterinary supervision and the details should be clearly shown on the pet 's container.
> Puppies and kittens must be at least 10 weeks old and must be weaned and able to eat on their own. (Please note that for some countries the minimum age is 12 weeks). Cats and dogs up to the sixth week of pregnancy can be carried. However, they must have a veterinary certificate confirming the pregnancy and that the pet is fit to travel.
And from the Defra web site:
The vehicle, travel enclosure or container

The vehicle or travel enclosure and any container used should be of a suitable size for your pet, sufficient at least for it to stand, sit and lie down in a natural position, and to turn around easily. Carrying containers are often too small. A container used to transport an animal on a short journey to the vet may not be suitable or sufficiently large for use on a longer journey.

The enclosure or container should not contain anything which could injure the animal, and should be designed so that no part of the animal (e.g. head,paws or tail) can protrude or become trapped.

Adequate ventilation is essential throughout the journey. Remember that the travel enclosure and any container within it may be in ‘still air’ conditions for long periods of time.

A means of providing water, and feed when necessary, to your pet should be available if the journey is to last more than a few hours. The utensils for watering and feeding should be placed in or fixed to the container so that they cannot be knocked over or the contents spilt. On longer journeys they should be capable of being re-filled easily. Use of an anti-spill water bowl is strongly recommended.

Appropriate and absorbent bedding should be provided, and this may need to be changed during a very long journey. Newspaper is ineffective and should not be used.

Introducing your pet to its travel enclosure or its container before travelling should help reduce the stress of transport. A familiar object (e.g. toy or cloth) may assist the animal to settle into strange surroundings.

Last edited by Hutch; Jul 25th 2005 at 5:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.