Perth weekend

Old Jan 20th 2014, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Perth weekend

So I'm in Perth this long weekend for the Skyworks.

What are the must-see places around the CBD (excluding beaches)?
Old Jan 20th 2014, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth weekend

King's Park, ferry to/from Fremantle. That's about all I can think of at the moment, my brain is melting in the heat.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Sarah7263 is on a distinguished road

Little Creatures brewery, Rottnest Island (it's beachy but it's a good cycle round-it was my Perth highlight), Swan Valley and I second the Kings Park recommendation - great views of the city. Have fun!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light

Is that close to the cbd?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Sarah7263 is on a distinguished road

Kings park is close. little Creatures is in Fremantle and Rottnest is a ferry ride from Fremantle (but well worth doing). Swan Valley is further out.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

cheers

what's the best vantage point for the Oz Day fireworks? i'll be staying in a cbd hotel...
Old Jan 21st 2014, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Depends which side of the river you're on - those SOR tend to go to South Perth, or some might go and watch the Fremantle fireworks instead http://www.fremantle.wa.gov.au/home/...Fireworks_2014 or the ones at Rockingham. The NOR-ers tend to go to Kings Park or the river, eg Langley Park or Supreme Court Gardens http://skyworks.visitperthcity.com/. The last time we went was to Kings Park. Sometimes there are vantage points around various suburbs, so you don't have the hassle of parking and getting home afterwards. If you're staying in a CBD hotel, then you could just walk down to the river, or walk or get a bus up to Kings Park.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

So, beserk, your 'Perth essentials' details are:

Perth to Fremantle (or reverse): by ferry or train
http://www.captaincookcruises.com.au/fremantle-cruises - Marvel at how being obscenely rich doesn't necessarily mean that you have good taste in architecture. There's also Golden Sun Cruises, never heard of them before, http://www.goldensuncruises.com.au/i...-river-cruises. Ferry service terminates a bit of a walk from retail areas.
http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/ for trains and buses. Free CAT bus services around Fremantle, like Perth.

Wander around Fremantle, a great place to visit http://www.fremantlewa.com.au/pages/...-to-fremantle/

Little Creatures brewery https://littlecreatures.com.au/venue...mantle-brewery.

Rottnest Island - ferries from Hillarys (marina in northern suburbs), Perth and Fremantle. Great for a day trip, don't think you would have time to stay overnight, bikes for hire and I saw something in the paper about Segway tours over there. Segway tours also along the river in Perth.

Barrack St jetty is right next to the Elizabeth Quay development, so traffic can be a bit messy around there.

Kings Park - a couple of cafes up there, kiosk and restaurant. Spectacular views, walking and cycling tracks.

Weather forecast still hot for this weekend, so hope I'm not telling Grandma how to suck eggs, but just wanted to remind you to carry water bottle (bottled water is extortionate in Perth, $3.50 to $4.00 for a 600 ml bottle), sunscreen, hat and sunglasses at all times (well, not at night for the last 3). A day at Rottnest would be exhausting in this heat, although it is a little cooler over there, and plenty of cafes or the Rottnest pub to shelter in http://www.hotelrottnest.com.au/inde...rants.181.html. Have lots of fun.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:23 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Treat yourself to a leisurely Saturday dinner or Sunday lunch on board the Spirit of the West restaurant train. See the countryside and dine in style.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all suggestions, I think I dont have enough time for the suburbs.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Treat yourself to a leisurely Saturday dinner or Sunday lunch on board the Spirit of the West restaurant train. See the countryside and dine in style.
This went out of business in 2008.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by berserk
Thanks for all suggestions, I think I dont have enough time for the suburbs.
Fremantle is well worth a visit and a 20 minute train ride from the CBD. Kings Park is the large area of greenery overlooking the CBD and you can walk to it or catch the free bus. I highly recommend you view the Perth page on Trip Advisor (ww.tripadvisor.com.au) if you haven't already as you will obtain many ideas and some great info...

As to the Skyworks on Sunday - it is going to be a lot cooler than it has been - around 31 and a strong sea breeze is forecast so be prepared with a light cardi or similar. The prime viewing spots will be taken early and there are many marquees and fenced off areas so be prepared to have to walk and for a large crowd...

Rotto is an expensive rip off these days IMO. With your short time frame, I'd give it a miss.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 11:00 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackieh23
Fremantle is well worth a visit and a 20 minute train ride from the CBD. Kings Park is the large area of greenery overlooking the CBD and you can walk to it or catch the free bus. I highly recommend you view the Perth page on Trip Advisor (ww.tripadvisor.com.au) if you haven't already as you will obtain many ideas and some great info...

As to the Skyworks on Sunday - it is going to be a lot cooler than it has been - around 31 and a strong sea breeze is forecast so be prepared with a light cardi or similar. The prime viewing spots will be taken early and there are many marquees and fenced off areas so be prepared to have to walk and for a large crowd...

Rotto is an expensive rip off these days IMO. With your short time frame, I'd give it a miss.
Totally with Jackie - if you get to Freo mid-late morning you can spend all day wandering around and stay for dinner if you like. That's one day taken care of. Skyworks - if you want a relatively relaxing day, check out the link about for marked picnic areas, take some snacks and drinks (you can only drink alcohol in the designated areas). A wander around King's Park and your weekend is done and dusted Hope you have a great time.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

thanks thanks thanks. i hope it's not an Australia Day Bogan Capital this weekend!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 11:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by berserk
thanks thanks thanks. i hope it's not an Australia Day Bogan Capital this weekend!
Mate, this is Perth we're talking about - the classy part of Oz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.